Iceland eyesore

sallyw

I brought fish fingers from Iceland yesterday they were divine!

Also I know someone who works in a chicken factory in birmingham as they said they send the same stuff to marks as they do to asda. Its about what you do to your food to make it taste good not what brand the package says.

Hubby in his youth worked in a food producing factory and stated that the same products were packaged for all different companies i.e. Heinz, Nestles, Sainsburys etc. - Paying double the price depending on the packet.

Heard the same from a friend who worked in a Birds Eye Factory during University vacations.

I purchased something for a community party at icelands and so many people came upto me to ask where I had got the goods from as it was so tasty - (they thought it was an M & S purchase)

Shall I stir everything up and suggest a Lidl or Aldi in ED!! They scored highly for some items against M & S and waitrose in 'Which'

RosieH Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I also like big butts and I cannot lie.

Oh my god Becky, look at her butt. Its so big!

....anyhoo, moving on. Here's a nice positive Iceland story. big grin

You also find things like that in the supermarkets I found some caterpillars in my broccoli after it was cooked I took it back never less.

Bit too simplistic that. There may be some truth in that for ready meals, fish fingers that sort of thing but the quality of the fresh food in Waitrose is a world away from the like is Tesco (deliberately steering clear of the Iceland/Waitrose debate!). And you have different ranges within a supermarket, so it may be true for say Sainsbury basic but not the pricier stuff

Pugwash Wrote:

> Hubby in his youth worked in a food producing

> factory and stated that the same products were

> packaged for all different companies i.e. Heinz,

> Nestles, Sainsburys etc. - Paying double the price

> depending on the packet.

>

> Heard the same from a friend who worked in a Birds

> Eye Factory during University vacations.

>

> I purchased something for a community party at

> icelands and so many people came upto me to ask

> where I had got the goods from as it was so tasty

> - (they thought it was an M & S purchase)

>

> Shall I stir everything up and suggest a Lidl or

> Aldi in ED!! They scored highly for some items

> against M & S and waitrose in 'Which'

richfish Wrote:

My mother thought chest freezers were a danger (risk

> of falling in) so we had a tiny upright and hence

> never went to Iceland.

Your mother was right. That is exactly what happened to my Mum (in the 1970's) when she was cleaning hers. Sadly, I was away at Guide camp at the time so didn't actually see it (she wrote to me about it), but I still have this vision of her head first down in the thing, legs waving about in the air ::o :))

Twirly Wrote:

That is exactly what

> happened to my Mum (in the 1970's) when she was

> cleaning hers. Sadly, I was away at Guide camp at

> the time so didn't actually see it (she wrote to

> me about it), but I still have this vision of her

> head first down in the thing, legs waving about in

> the air ::o :))

That would be when it was called Bejams - as in "Twirly's Mum be jammed in the freezer!"

why dont the residents of the local area buy icelands and open a nice curry house or bar this is just what the area really need not a shop that you can buy food from that you have to cook yourselves but a curry house.

what a shame some people really have idea

quote:

what a shame some people really have idea

some people want a shop like icelands to shop in NOT LOOK AT ,well did you not hear the gunshots? only hit my ear but i am all right now, just to think people dont want the likes of iceland in the area lets hope a 99p shop opens soon that will be great

or are we to proud to buy from them , you can wear dark glasses when you go in just in case some one see you heaven forbid.

ps do not use the bags a dead giveaway

ONLY SHOT OFF MY EAR the bad thing about this is i cant wear dark glasses when i run in to peckham to the 99p shop any body want to do some shoping for a one eared man. cant pay you buy will give my bus pass for the day YES THE WHOLE DAY.

and dont believe lilly123 only 1 bang not bang bang. but then again only had 1 ear left after the first bang.i was going to phone the old bill but i cant hear a thing.

northlondoner Wrote:

> ?1.50 for four pink lady apples - half what Sainsbury charge FFS

Sainsbury's charge ?3 for 6 pink lady apples. So 50p per apple at Sainsbury's, 37.5p per apple at Iceland.

Pedantic, maybe...

richfish Wrote:

> the Police station is also tremendously ugly.

I still believe the cop shop is going to become an independent cinema. It will happen... definitely... without doubt... only a matter of time...

civilservant Wrote:

> but what happened to the OP? just four posts and

> never heard from again

Gang activity.

No really, it's maybe one of those occasional 'let's sign in to local forum to stir things up' type posts. Like The One About Annoying Cyclists Who Don't Move Out Of The Way For Car Drivers...

I think Iceland has a negative image and could do with some help to market itself better. The store front is not very inviting. Until I moved here, I'd never lived close to a branch of Iceland to shop there but my perception was that of row upon row of large freezers, consisting mainly of pre-prepared frozen foods. Having been to the one on LL, I'd say it has a good selection of (local, or at least British) fresh vegetables and dairy products all good quality, reasonably priced. Perhaps this thread is helping Iceland more than we think, hurrah.

Also, there's a surprising amount of non-frozen/fridge goods on the shelves, not that disimilar to what's on offer at the Co-Op, Sainsbury's or the one I cannot bear to mention (T....)

Iceland have a good and cheap basic olive oil and big brands (HP, Heinz etc) are often cheaper than Co-op or Sainsburys. First chain to ban GM foods and artificial colourants in fresh eggs.

They DO have a lot of cheap stuff that is cack but you don't have to buy it - The look of the place, well it's the Easyjet of supermarkets but there are so many shops with a 'well-designed' frontage that a bit of brash livens up the place.

Jeremy Wrote:

> northlondoner Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > ?1.50 for four pink lady apples - half what

> Sainsbury charge FFS

>

> Sainsbury's charge ?3 for 6 pink lady apples. So

> 50p per apple at Sainsbury's, 37.5p per apple at

Hmmm will check but I'm pretty sure it's four for three quid at Sainsbury . ...

> Iceland.

>

> Pedantic, maybe...