Another accident at junction of Barry Rd and Underhill

What a thankless job local road planning has.

The second that traffic calming is formally proposed this thread will be choc-a-bloc with motorists screaming about damage to their vehicles, and residents squealing about either the damage to their foundations caused by lorries and humps, or the lack of parking space created by chicanes.

Even for sight-lines at junctions, an expanded pavement will give you a massive outcry about the consequences on parking space.

Talk about a no win.

Here's my traffic calming solution, that doesn't involve speed humps or cameras, or much cash:

Give Underhill and Upland Roads priority over Barry Road, making Barry Road motorists give way onto these quieter routes, splitting Barry into three shorter, slower sections.

I still say taking the centre line road marking out will give the illusion of a narrower road and slow drivers, as we did here. Even if it didn't work it would only cost the day rate of a line marking team of ?500.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Forest+Row&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=18.231357,39.331055&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Forest+Row,+East+Sussex,+United+Kingdom&ll=51.09388,0.052244&spn=0,0.009602&z=17&layer=c&cbll=51.09388,0.052244&panoid=dWFgNqVyBXxzE2sBhh8lJg&cbp=12,280.17,,0,7.92

skidmarks Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I still say taking the centre line road marking

> out will give the illusion of a narrower road and

> slow drivers, as we did here. Even if it didn't

> work it would only cost the day rate of a line

> marking team of ?500.

>

> http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en

> &geocode=&q=Forest+Row&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&ssp

> n=18.231357,39.331055&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Forest+Row

> ,+East+Sussex,+United+Kingdom&ll=51.09388,0.052244

> &spn=0,0.009602&z=17&layer=c&cbll=51.09388,0.05224

> 4&panoid=dWFgNqVyBXxzE2sBhh8lJg&cbp=12,280.17,,0,7

> .92

That's a proven calming method, like red tarmac (but cheaper)

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> No speed humps at the top end by the Plough or

> anywhere else on Barry Rd .

There is a 'raised' pedestrian crossing on Peckham Rye

which is effectively a speed bump.. Could they not do that

to the pedestrian crossing on Barry road junction in question.

I am of course assuming Peckham Rye is also classified as a 'B' road?

As I said before im not a great lover of speed humps on a road like this.I think with at least three nasty colisions in three months we have a problem. And its mainly speed related. I would like to see two speed cameras and some raised areas near the junctions. But all this will cost ???? which is not available in this current climate and weather they would prioritise Barry rd, there are probably much worse roads that are more dangerous and have had fatalities.

This is my motto: Driving is a team game where everybody is responsible for each others safety on the road.

I live on Barry Road and frequently have to drive down as far as Upland to get to work if I cannot turn right at my house to go via LL. Twice in this past week have been driving down between 20 -25 mph as could see people about to cross at the pedestrian crossing, and also bendy 12's on both sides of road when some pratt decides to overtake me, one bendy 12 and swerves in front of another car as misjudges the distance of the on coming 12.

Barry Road is a major bus route and TfL buses have and will object to more bumps and such traffic calming.

The raised entry treatments around Goodrich Road have caused much distress to some neighbouring properties due to vibrations which are notoriously hard to prove but are very real to the residents and of course once you notice them become insanely annoying.

Mini roundabouts cause other dangers and no guarantee that after such long straights people wont plough on through.

I think Skidmarks has made a really potentially valuable suggestion. Changing or removing road markings can dramatically change behaviours. So I'll ask council road officers for latest stats and whether we can meet on site to talk about options.

Skidmarks could you join us to talk about the example you've given?

The other problem is the active speed signs. Apparently the type installed there and on Friern Road are no longer maintainable. So changing them to the newer type that are is something I'll ask officers to investigate.

I think this thread has gone as far as it can go.Most of us are very concerned about the speed of some vehicles along this road including me. James Barber above is on the ball and seems to know what he is talking about.

The best thing we could do is speak to the local MP write to the council,make as much noise as possible and you never know.

The least they can do is to paint some decent stop/give way lines at the junction of Underhill that would be a start.

Good luck.