Vegan and Veggie Update!

Thomas Micklewright

Hey guys!

The following is a summary of the first DVVS meeting, including our campaigns.

Our first meeting was a great success, 14 people attended ? much chocolate consumed and much discussed! We now have 60 members of the DVVS!

Action points:

Master Plan! A casestudy of Dulwich listing anywhere that sells vegan or veggie products. The quicker we understand what in Dulwich isn?t vegan, the quicker we can make it vegan!

Please help source information ? do you know the owner / managers name of a Dulwich shop, is there a product you would like a shop to sell eg. Soya Milk? Once we have all this data, I will email and post out a letter asking the owners to get in touch with me. The top 5 vegan friendly businesses will then be listed with an accompanying article in the local newspaper, as well as on our website (soon to be created) our flyers and in the newsletter.

Vegan Ice Cream in Cinemas ? we are looking to launch a campaign to encourage cinemas to serve Vegan Ice Cream, if you have any suggestions on Ice cream companies or Cinemas please let me know! Jo and Laura are working on this project, if you would like to help them then let me know.

Parmesan Cheese is not veggie ? we are looking to inform all Dulwich restaurants that serve Parmesan cheese on their veggie dishes that it is not veggie, and encourage them to use an alternative such as ?Parmazano?. Heading up this campaign will be Roisin and Nat, let me know if you can give them a hand. We need all the names of restaurants that are serving Parmesan under a vegetarian labelling.

Vegan Parents ? are you, or do you know of any vegan parents in the Dulwich or the wider South East London area ? it would be great to get in touch with them?

Liaising with other groups ? do you have any contacts we could network or liaise with, we are currently building networks with the Dulwich Going Greener, The Blue Brick Caf?, Croydon Indian Vegetarians, Southwark Friends of the Earth and the East Dulwich Orchard Collective ?

Grow your own? If you are interested in growing veg please email me and we?ll find you some space to grow your own!

Thank you ? all help is greatly appreciated!

Thomas

Thomas, why don't you delete your post in the 'What to do in East Dulwich' thread? It has sort of taken over the thread needlessly and I'm sure the person who started that thread wouldn't have a clue why it's there. I'm sure you wouldn't want The East Dulwich Society of Carnivores posting here!

By the way if you started this thread because you couldn't find your original one then click on your name above and it will show you all your posts. Will save you having to start a new thread each time you post on this subject.

Seriously Thomas, I know you're evangelical and all, but you've posted that at least three times in three separate sections, including on someone else's thread, which is just rude. Are you set on forum domination? Hmm, vegetarians, domination? This is heading towards Godwin's...

Stop it.

Michael Palaeologus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Before we see Vegan domination of the world, can

> somebody make vegan food taste nice please?

> Alternatively, make vegan food taste of something.

> That would be good.

------------------------------------

Exactly MP...

Adding a couple of nicely spiced Lamb chops does the trick

( for me that is )

W**F

karter Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> And some bacon flavoured quorn to go with that.

Eww..

Weirdo

Now back to "meatjacking" this thread

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3819/images/3819_MEDIUM.jpg Now feast your hungry eyes on that Tommy boy

" Go on you know you want it, anyway the cow was a veggie "

* licks lips *

W**F

It doesn't really help to pitch the "debate" as veggie/vegan versus the meat eaters. Most people are omnivores and there's more to be gained in my view from using this forum to talk about where our food comes from and its nutritional value. It's not clear that the DVVS wants the meat eaters to eat less meat or give it up entirely but rather to make ED more vegan/veggie friendly. However, you wouldn't think that from the tone of some of the postings above.

I think they're just taking the piss AJM ;-)

Personally I find Vegetarianism logically inconsistent - the lines between what is meat and what is vegetable are not easy to draw, as any taxonomist would assert.

Also many vegetable consuming activites can't help but disrupt the ecosystem in both a micro and macro sense, and consequently impact negatively on the animal kingdom.

However, if one overlooks those issues and muddles through to make a vegtarian choice on an ethical basis, then surely it behoves you to be evangelical? After all, if you think meat is murder, surely it's morally reprehensible to stand idly by whilst your neighbours commit such horrific crimes?

I don't think vegetarians have any need to be righteous about restaurants catering for them. If there are economic reasons for catering for vegetarians, as in a vast untapped market, then vegetarians will be able to vote with their feet. If there isn't well that's the penalty for getting involved in a faddish cult ;-)

Why does the Angus Steak House have a vegetarian option, but the local veggie restaurant not have a meat option? Because, as Huguenot says, it is less a lifestyle decision and more a cult. As Thomas said, "The quicker we understand what in Dulwich isn?t vegan, the quicker we can make it vegan!"

Luckily, most vegans are too weak and pallid to really ever attempt to overthrow the system... ::o

I heard Tim Lang, he who coined the term "food miles" talk about the many ethical decisions we make each day with regards to our lifestyle choices. The more aware we are and the more we care about how we live, the more decisions we have to consider about what we consume. Veggies and Vegans, like most of us, will have arrived at some acceptable accommodation regarding the logical inconsistencies of their position. Restaurants adapt their menus to suit their customers and they know that there is a demand to be met for menu items with a "V" beside them so they'd be daft not to provide them. I know of one family where the wife is veggie and the rest of the family eats meat. I can't imagine having to deal with that apparent logical inconsistency but they would almost certainly be interested in restaurants like Angus Steak House.

I do think that Thomas is taking the wrong tack in promoting DVVS. His zeal, however, doesn't make him a cultist in my opinion.

What a reaction! Good to get people talking.

I apologise for the repost - I am sorry if I have upset or angered people.

Regarding the 'making Dulwich more vegan' comment - I was trying to highlight how I aim to look at how Dulwich is not catering for vegans, veggies and organic foodies and then we can take steps to make it more accomodating for us!

Thanks guys

I would love to go into discussion with the East Dulwich Carnivores (if such an organisation exists!) and I'm happy to take all the vegan/ veggie jokes and abuse!