QUICK: need advice about induction due to have one tomorrow am

I have been through the ringer this past week going to Kings every day and staying overnight on Tuesday. Dont have much time to go into detail right now but finally today I have been talked into having an induction tomorrow am (if there are available beds). I REALLY would like to avoid this but I have had enough of going into hospital and seeing different consultants each time. In a way I do feel pressured into it (I am 41wks tomorrow) but I have a kidney condition which is making everyone there nervous.

I would love to hear experiences from those of you that had an induction - the pessary kind that is given over 24h rather than the type you get after your waters break. Any advice gratefully received

I am having some "contractions" right now following a sweep earlier but they are not regular or that painful more like period pain. It would be lovely if I could go into labour naturally tonight but I am not counting on it!

Hi! You could well be in the early stages of labour! The same happened to me, I was going in for an induction but they gave me sweep the afternoon before and it all started that evening, I gave birth the next day at 10.50am. I'm afraid I don't have any advise on induction as I avoided it but you shouldn't feel pressured into it but at the same time they're the experts. All I say when it comes to anything to do with pregnancy or motherhood is go with your own instincts! I wish you all the luck in the world and just think - you could be meeting your gorgeous baby tomorrow! :)

If you are already feeling like things are starting to happen, then they will most likely give you the first lot of hormone and it'll just kick start your labour and you'll be able to progress naturally. I was induced (almost a year ago to the day) at St Thomas's and from almost the beginning, this wasn't an option for me (which was fine, I didn't have any set ideas about staying in the home-from-home setting). Whilst my labour was hectic and full of interventions, I have very positive residual feelings about it, which I think is about the best outcome anyone can hope for. I don't feel that inductions are by definition any worse than non-induced labours. I guess my motto was que sera sera and I kept right at the front of my mind the fact that labour itself is a tiny window of time in the grand scheme of things, and it WILL end and there WILL be a baby at the end of it. Hope this helps, and good luck!

Good luck!! I was induced with my first, and though it was because my waters broke and not because I was overdue, I just wanted to say that it was fine, so please don't worry! I was so so nervous about it but as written above it will be over soon, and you will have all the newborn things to worry about, then all the toddler things before you know it!

I was induced first time and would just add that it can be a very long process which I wasnt mentally prepared for. Now that I know, if it happens this time at least I will know what to expect. Bring things to keep you occupied if you can.

That's the thing that worries me the most as I am unable to sleep anywhere but in own bed (and frequently suffer from insomnia there). I spent the night in antenatal ward on Tuesday and slept maybe 20mins. I was an emotional and physical wreck next morning and practically left against medical advice.

SG, from the time the induction was started until I had my son was 25 hours. I was induced the night before and had my son the next night. I did not sleep at all really as was not in my own room when it started, and some other women were snoring etc. Was only moved into my own room once I was 4 cm. This was around 11am. Also I found the process painful and looking back I think I have quite a low tolerance for pain. When offered paracetamol I was infuriated! I only tell you this not to make it scary but just so that you know what may or may not happen. The midwives gave me no information on this last time and really I was a bit clueless about the whole process. However perhaps as this is your second the process will go more quickly for you. I wish you all the best and hopefully by Sat morn you will have your new baby!

I had an induction at 42 weeks and I wish someone had told me it can take several days for something to happen. I went to Kings on a Friday morning and in my head I expected to have a baby by Saturday morning. As it was, I did not start getting proper contractions until Sunday evening, and the baby was not born until Monday night by emergency cesarean (failure to progress). This was just my experience though and for some people induction works very quickly.

Oh dear, so sorry to hear this supergolden88! I was induced at 42+1 for my first child, and while it wasn't a particularly positive experience, I think sometimes the fear of the thing is worse than the thing itself. There is so much pressure on women to have natural labours with minimal intervention, that somehow it adds to our stress and anxiety if we see ourselves going down a different route.

Wrt your being pressured into the decision - I know others will disagree, and I have heard many stories about people trusting their own instincts and having everything turning out just the way they want. For me personally, I just felt that the only rational thing to do was to take the consultant's advice. Because though I'd spent lots of time researching on the internet and talking to people, ultimately, the question was: how many births had I witnessed? Zero. How many births had s/he witnessed? Probably hundreds. Doctors also know that intervention can be risky, but it is they who have the knowledge to weigh up the risks on both sides, and make a recommendation to you that is in your best interests. (Both my parents are doctors btw, maybe this is why I take this point of view.)

Wishing you all good things for tonight and tomorrow, and hope to hear good news very soon about the birth of your beautiful baby

Claire xx

Supergolden - I am sending you lots of good luck vibes for your induction. I had one at Kings in May as I was two weeks overdue, and despite dreading it, and feeling cheated of my long planned for home birth, it was an amazing, relatively painfree, quick birth. I strongly believe in the power of positive thought and that it helped contribute to the easy birth I ended up having. Like you, I was having mild contractions when I was admitted at 8pm. The pessary worked within a few hours and my DS#2 was born by 2am. So. Every birth is different we all know, but just wanted to let you know that some inductions can be lovely.

On a practical matter, bring lots of mags, food, music, an ipod, comfy clothes and most of all, your own pillow. Do let us know how you get on....

Just wanted to say good luck, and I really hope things kick off tonight....maybe try going up and down stairs a few times if you can bear it? Sideways is supposed to be very good as it gets the head down and increases pressure on the cervix etc.

Thinking of you and sending loads of positive vibes....

Molly

xxxx

I will keep you posted as I'm planning to take every single apple product on the market with me (ipad, ipod and a laptop - just in case!). Having some pains right now hopefully they will improve my chances tomorrow.

Just wanted to ask what type of pain relief (apart from epidural) you were offered if any and whether they helped. I want to avoid an epidural and managed with just gas and air last time but am keeping my options open!

Thanks for all messages of support.

Well I managed to avoid an induction - contRactions started at around 7am (I walked around the block few times last night) and we managed to get to Kings when I was in proper labour around 9.30am. Thrilled to have managed it all naturally, on gas and air. There were a few hairy momentss when baby's heartbeat was dropping and doctors stepped in talking c section which I managed to hear through my stoned haze but thankfully a healthy baby boy was born at 4pm at a hefty 4kilos! He proceeded to breastfeed non stop till about an hour ago. UnfortunAtely have to stay overnight but hope to go home tomorrow. thanks for all the support everyone!

Btw no name yet will post a pic soon x

hurrah hurrah, fab news. Congratulations Supergolden (& hubby!). I've been thinking of you all day. I was booked for an induction last year and things managed to move naturally just in time too. So pleased it worked out for you. Hope your post natal night passes quietly and quickly and that you get back home very soon. Night night to you & your lovely boy X