Film buffs needed

wildlife+punk

i stayed up late one night and watched a really weird french film where a family slowly starting turning into giant rats. i wasnt on drugs (ok I was) but it really freaked me out. Maybe it was called "The Road" or am I getting that confused with another film that had some prostitutes in it and they would visit a mental hospital maybe or an old peoples home. And I watched Sunrise silent movie at the Green Man festival which was utterly moving it even made Mrs Felt-tip cried and she has a heart of stone and then it was apparant - when the musician came out to bow - that the music was being performed live. Compelling stuff.

I think I found it. It's an Ozon movie. It sounds really good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitcom_(film). The sitcom.

He also make a film based on a Fassbinder script that I really like

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_Drops_on_Burning_Rocks

Best of all he uses Charlotte Rampling in his films and it does not get any better than that!

There is an extremely controversial film I have been trying to remember the name of, but for the life of me I can't remember the directors name to source it. It is a film based on Italian corruption, still banned in some countries and was released in the 70's, it has a theme of the Marquis De Sade and revolves around four fascists that kidnap a number of girls and boys and subject them to months of intense mental torture, extreme violence, rituals.

The film is noted I believe as a portrayal of abuse of power, sadism and fascism and is listed as one of the scariest films ever made, and has themes loosely based on Dante's Inferno.

Atmosphere of the film is great. Clinical, sparse when one would expect it to be feverish, maybe. I think it references the neo realist Italian movement. I need to watch some earlier Pasolini films. I have got it- Salo, if you like to watch it, just say the word. Prefer Bergman's Fanny and Alexander. My favorite xmas movie. Why are you not interested in it. The Leopard is also pretty good.

Oh I am awfully sorry Huguenot for posting a link to the film! Yes I did over look your post actually, due to manically working today and deviating to posting on here in spare moments! Yes I admit I saw Mockney Piers mention it on this page of the thread, and I was intrigued enough to look and share but thank you for sharing the gem Huguenot! Do forgive me for being so witless though sir! I am so sorry that you felt ignored, that was never my intention, hope you really are not that offended, I will try to make up for it in future! I shall pay much more careful attention, being seen as prat by you, is not on my agenda, please forgive me!

A film I would recommend seeing when released in the UK is Flying Lessons directed by Derek Magya, I had the pleasure of watching it premiere at the Santa Barbara International Film Festival earlier this year and was more than impressed.

"Flying Lessons" is the intimate story of a 25 year old young woman (Grace) forced to abandon her self- destructive and empty life in L.A. to return to her home town and estranged mother (Lahti). There she is forced to face the relationships she left behind and the memories that go with them - all the while befriending an elderly man (Holbrook) who teaches her the value of the present which allows her to come to terms with her past."

It is a gritty compelling drama that certainly packs a punch, it takes the viewer on an emotional roller coster from the onset, astounding performances by Maggie Grace and Hal Holbrook.

Starring Maggie Grace, Christine Lahti, Cary Elwes, Jonathan Tucker, Michael O'Neill, Joanna Cassidy, Rick Gonzalez, Nikki Deloach and Hal Holbrook

http://flyinglessonsmovie.com/