Re:Book Shop North Cross Road

sophie

I have lived in East Dulwich all my life and I must say it has changed for the better!I have two sons of my own now and I think The Never Ending Book Shop in North Cross Road is execellent!The themes in the window are great the owner always seems to get it right with my childrens school work.The theme at the moment is James and the Giant Peach my children absolutely love that story.I was down there last saturday and was pleased to see that they are selling toys again which is great with christmas just around the corner.

So I say good luck and thank you for coming to East Dulwich!

funnily enough I was going to post a reply earlier saying at last, a nice happy uncynical post... and then I thought hang on... first time poster plugging a local business, we've been here before

Then I felt bad for being so suspicious... but I think you may be right Asset

Sophie - with all due apologies if you have no connection to the shop!

The book trade is immensely cynical, duplicitous, and dictatorial - and successful in duping the GP that it's otherwise.

Sophie is doing the covert hearts-and-minds PR to perfectrion; intro, name, address, USP, current promo, coming promo, reinforcement. She's a marketing angel.

BTW those "staff pick" signs you see in big bookshops? They come out the fax machine from the politburo every Monday morning.

Ultraconsultancy

In saying that i went there with my son who did like it. The staff were friendly and allowed us to peruse at leisure. They didn't have some of what we were after. In the end we bought a poster of french objects and Goldilocks and the three bears...

So yes Sophie probably does work there. But even so, I still think it is a decent outlet. But we have quite a few especially nearer my end - one in the Village, Dulwich Books on Croxted Road and the Half Moon book shop plus some more that I spot when I'm out and about.

and not wishing to rebuff such camraderie, we are veering off topic

(ahem)

Sophie - does the bookshop have any plans to expand to be more than just a childrens bookshop? There has been a big long thread about Chener's (faaar too long in fact) but although I am fond of the place in a way, it's not perfect and could do with some competition

I accept your appoloy Sean and NO I DO NOT WORK THERE! What a shame we live in a world that if you say something nice about something or someone you automatically have hidden motives.I stand by my words because that is my genuine opinion, I would not have said it otherwise!

Sophie - tis indeed a shame. But the honest truth is such incidents have happened numerous times on here and have been proved to be so.. unfortunately the shame is, as Bowie once sang, on the other side ;-)

The tell tale signs are usually the combination of:

first time post

exuberant praise for a local business

pointing out location and upcoming special offers etc

All of which were in your post unfortunately so, yes the experience has been to be suspicious of such posts. But like most of say, we like the place anyway. And we're glad you're here and look forward to hearing your views on other local establishments.

Why do people care if people do come on here for some free advertising, the pubs seem to be doing it all the time, and not chipping in to sponsor the forum, and I for one think it's a bloody cheek! No one else seems to mind though...

NOTE: I'm not including the book swap thing in that comment, as that's different.

Well, The Administrator may disagree Keef, but it's not the free advertising that bothers me

You are right the pubs do it all the time but the difference they come on and say "I'm The Pub Landlord and ACME pub and we have a smashing new TV installed - come along why don't ye"

Good clean honest and direct

If the same landlord went down the route of "let's register as SeanyMac, and say how amazing the food is in the NTV, everyone will think I'm a genuine person and they will come flocking"

That's just flaky behaviour IMO

I agree with what you're saying Sean, but I'm willing to bet that half the recommendations on here are for people's mates, partners and family.

As for the pubs, yes they're upfront and honest, but they are still taking the p!ss in my opinion, and as another forumite said to me recently, it's a matter of time before those nice people that are sponsoring the forum see all the free advertising, and decide that they may as well not bother sponsoring, and just chuck a post on every now and then.

Have any of these pubs offereed space for the birthday party, or chipped in to it??? If they have then I'll take my hat off to them, but I bet they haven't!

Ultraconsultancy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Jeremy - in retail "Christmas" starts on the

> Tuesday after the August Bank Holiday. And in some

> businesses it starts on 1st July .

in retail maybe, but not to normal people. That's probably why it was suspicious!

Hi there good people of ye olde East Dulwich.

I am sooooo pleased that at last we have yet another thread about Books, Bookshops, and Reading. Give me more please. Rather to be talked about than not talked about eh!! Richard Weekes here. Notice the real name, somehow.

With such an open forum on such a legitimate site why oh why is there so much secrecy and the use of strange fictitious names? Are some of you that ashamed of your names? Or are there other more noble or clandestine reasons for your anonymity. Be bold, be brave, stand up and say your name LOUD and be proud.

Sophie, thanks. Keef, nice one. Bob, you got that right. Jeremy, seasons greetings. Sean, what's up?? Please tell us, upfront about what?? Why should any children's bookshop have to expand to be anything other than a children's bookshop?? What's wrong with children's bookshops as they are, Sean?? Were you not a child once?? Did you not read when you were a child?? And where pray tell do you think your mummy and daddy bought your books?? Could it have been a bookshop of some kind?

Anyway, I was brought up to introduce myself to whomever I was speaking to or communicating with. Good manners and all that. Thanks to my mum. Who really are the rest of you? Please?

So in future, let's all be nice to each other about the topic raised, use real names and love books, bookshops and reading. Power to the book, YEAH!!

Richard