Bike thefts in East Dulwich Area

m7post

thebestnameshavegone Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> get a wall hanger if you can - if you leave a bike

> outside overnight no matter how securely, it's a

> question of when, not if it will get nicked.

I think that depends on the bike...I know of a bike that has sat propped up against a bike stand in Bishopsgate unlocked for over a year. Some just aren't worth nicking lol.

Spending 10% of the cost of the bike on a lock is a good ballpark figure, I spent that on one (have two). Really one of the most important things for me to check was that it was approved by my insurer. I'd be gutted if it did get nicked and I had nuffink to show after forking out for an expensive but useless lock!

> I keep on thinking the time has come to get a

> bike, but what I'd like to know is where people

> keep their bikes overnight? Our house is prettycont

> small so there's not really room to bring one

> inside. Are those bike box things any good?

This is a question that's been bothering me - and I wonder how far lack of storage puts people off cycling altogether? Would there be any interest locally in a hire-purchase scheme to make front garden bike boxes more affordable? or the Dutch-style street 'cages' for (I think) 6 -10 bikes, each replacing one car-parking space? (There's a picture of one on www.vivavauxhall.org)

On the East Dulwich/Dog Kennel Hill estate (opposite Sainsburys), we're no longer supposed to keep bikes on the walkways outside the flats (quite reasonably - to keep access clear in case of fire) but bikes locked to the ground floor railings get stolen and hallways inside the flats are too small even for hanging bikes up. So my beloved, elderly bike is still carried up 3 flights and locked outside the flat (it's at the end of a walkway though, so I'm the only one who'd have to get past it!). For anyone who lives on the estate and cycles (or wants to) there's a new Bike and Buggy Users Group looking particularly at storage (email spaceforwheels [at] gmail.com). It would be really good to hear from other people about solutions that have worked elsewhere...?