Co-op Charity muggers

Prussia

I just had a rather unpleasant experience in Co-op as I tried to buy food for dinner. As I was hunting for what I was looking for a man came up to me and rather creepily said 'You are what I have been looking for all day' and then silence. I stared in disbelief feeling intimidated and then went to walk off. It was only at this point that he quickly said I work for a charity.

Now I've had people say things like this before when trying to get money for charity but this didn't feel obvious enough as a joke and I actually felt worried. When I went to explain to the lady she was working with she made me feel very stupid and could not have looked at me with any more distain. I simply tried to explain that approaching young girls and saying something like that might not be the right approach especially if you hide your clip board behind your back stopping it from being obvious what is happening.

I think it is a real shame that now we can't even shop without being approached for money. As a student teacher I feel bad enough not being able to give as much as I used to. It's one thing when it's out on the street but in your local Co-op I just don't think is on. Plus the guy was creepy and left me feeling very uncomfortable!!!!

This sounds like a very unpleasant experience. I'm never keen on charity chuggers. But at least when they're on the pavement it's obvious who they are so you can make a choice to speak to them or not. To catch you off guard like that is not reasonable and I'm not surprised you weren't happy. I know that the Co-op do sometimes allow charity workers to stand in the entrance but I didn't think they could approach anyone in the store. Probably best to send a letter to Co-Op head office to complain.

Poor you Prussia, that sounds horrible, and you have every right to be suspicious. That just isn't an appropriate thing to say to someone, regardless of whether or not you work for a charity! In these situations, I would always always trust your instincts. If you felt he was a creep, then he was a creep. Keep well away and let the co op know that there is some dodgy behaviour going on in their shop!

Shelter gets a mention above. It's one of those large national charities that has made a fine art of fundraising.

Last year it raised around ?25m from the public. All the people who work there (around 1,000!)are totally committed and it provides very good housing aid, research & lobbying, but it doesn't actually house anyone. A bit of a surprise to some people.

It's ironoc that it's often the smaller less known local charities that actually deliver the frontline services. Giving "local" is often a good option.