Bit worried about xmas get away

Gussy

Hiya, so we are set for another few inches of snow over the next few days if the weather forecast is to be believed....I'm a bit apprehensive about the journey back to Gloucestershire on Boxing day. I know it's hardly flying off to Oz, but its still a 2.5 hr trip in the car with 2 kids (2yrs & 8 months) in fairly bad conditions. Does anyone know if the motorways are actually ok atm? It's hard to know the *real* state of things, having only stepped outside my front door to the shops with the kids a few times in the last 10 days or so!! Also I don't drive regularly, we are hiring a car for the trip back, so this adds a level of anxiety if I prang it! I've got until the day before to cancel the trip to get the money back on the car, but I need to pack and get sorted by Friday (not doing it on Christmas day!). Anyone canceling their get away or just going for it? Obviously I know this TOTALLY all depends on the next few days.........just don't like being unsure of our plans!

Hello

We were meant to be hiring a car and going away to Berkshire and Oxfordshire tomorrow. But me and the kids have been struck down by the flu which means we can't go yet but I'm seriously tempted to just cancel and stay at home. My parents in Oxfordshire are currently snowed into their village, my father in law is recovering from a serious operation and really doesn't need us taking flu to his house, and all in all I'm just too ill and tired to even think about packing up the car!

I am also slightly concerned that all the hire cars might not be in the right places. Its not unusual for the car rental places to not have enough cars on normal weekends, let alone snowy christmas ones. Three times we've had to end up borrowing the managers car because they've run out even though we have a confirmed booking!

The forecast keeps changing, last I saw met were reporting barely any more snow, more sleet until after Christmas, in and around London anyway.

Clux, my family are all snowed in, in Oxfordshire. Funny, I lived there for 14 years and only ever got snowed in once, when we lived literally middle of nowhere!

we're off to Yorkshire tomorrow, in hire car with 17mth old. Currently swithering between A1 & M1 route and watching weather forecast. I am tempted by the Motorway, surely they keep that clear?? Will let you know! Also bit bored of family going all professional northern on me and complaining about metropolitan news bias. No snow at home & all flights from Manchester Airport ok plus trains fine north of Peterborough. Yawn. Our intention is to move back one day but am slightly worried that my 12 years down here in that London have spolit me forever!

Anyway, I digress. Stay safe & warm wherever you end up x