Flu jab

Apologies if this has already been mentioned - I have done a search and couldnt find anything. I was just wondering what anyone thinks about getting the flu jab in pregnancy? My mother and MIL keep harping on that I should get this, fuelled by the Daily Mail - but my midwife was very non-commital about it all and said that the choice was mine. I never even get colds and am concerned that the jab itself will make me poorly. Any comments much appreciated...

Thanks,

Charlotte

If you search under my name, I started a thread about this last week. The government guidelines have recently changed and they are now recommending all women get the seasonal flu jab (which this year includes swine flu) as a high risk group. The NHS website has a lot of useful information

I'm 35 weeks pregnant and having one on Friday. Anyone who has had it...you don't get that initial ill feeling do you? I'm sure that's not the case these days.

On another note - my midwife was strangely no committal in her advice too...almost as if they have been told not to encourage or discourage. It was a bit of an odd conversation. But, she said there was no evidence it harms baby and it was my choice. As Vickster said, Gov are recommending it anyway.

I am 33 weeks and have had it this morning. I feel absolutely fine and they said worst case is you feel a bit groggy but I have nothing. My midwife said there is nothing to lose and my mother in law is a GP and she thoroughly recommended it. I think the risks of contracting swine flu are very dangerous to you and the baby and there are no known risks to the unborn baby so it actually feels like quite a responsible thing to do. Read a few articles and they were all quite pro-vaccine.

The nurse this morning just said that it is the same decision you will have to make when you decide whether to vaccinate your baby.

Jenny

i've booked an appointment for this after christmas, was the first i could get. I'm 15 weeks. I've been undecided but my husband heard big piece about it on radio 4 this morning and he's now really pleased i'm going for it as they talked about how awful flu risk is for pregnant women, in fact they were suggesting anyone showing symptoms over xmas should go straight to hospital. The take up has been much lower this year as gov didn't run annual awareness campaign. I've also had really awful cold and sinus pain for 2 weeks, which i'm now over but really wiped me out and i just can't imagine copimg with flu and looking after my 2 yr old!

H

Well I had the jab and I've felt fine and I'm really glad that I had it. I had it on thursday and felt a little bit ropey on Friday night, but as I'm 27 weeks it could equally be down to this. I have a bruise on my arm where the jab was but this is it. Thanks for comments they really helped to make my mind up x

Hmm I'm having second thoughts over this now...after conversation with midwife yesterday. I kind of think I had some sort of flu just before christmas...and just thinking now I am a normally well person (no chest complaints etc) so should really be fine. Are there any studies on the effect it can have on the baby? Not trying to inflame/worry etc...now just not too sure what to do!!

• 2 weeks later...
I would consider the fact that the flu jab doesn't actually prevent you getting flu, it just lessens the symptoms when you have flu. My advice is drink more orange juice to get your vit C, washing your hands regularly, and whatever else you can to keep happy & healthy - far more effective at preventing you catching anything nasty!