Asked to leave Chandelier (Lounged)

bald marauder

In defence of Le Chandelier (as if it was needed since they clearly have such sensible policies) I have heard from a source close to the owner that a number of 'yummy-mummies' (oh, the irony! I am with Snorky on this one) had taken to going into Le Chandelier, ordering a tea/coffee and then producing the contents of a number of Tupperware boxes containing a veritable picnic which they then proceeded to chompe on. This was NOT merely food for their babies/toddlers but was a spread for all. I think the owner, quite rightly, decided that her cafe was not a picnic site and introduced a rule that anyone (and as the original culprits had been mothers with kids, perhaps they were viewed with particular suspicion) bringing food into the premises should be asked to leave. Perhaps it was an over-zealous interpretation of this rule that led to the original incident that prompted this thread?

• 2 weeks later...

being neither "yummy" or "mummy", I still had occasion to pop in to Le Chandelier for a spot of morning sustenance today (with Lady MacG)

2 obscure teas (both well lush) and several pastries/cakes later we still hadn't clocked up enough to warrant a card transaction (ie < a tenner) I ordered a couple of extra croissants to take away and walked away to the bus stop thinking how lovely the whole experience was

Thing is I had forgotten the extra pastries and only found out when one of the staff came running up to the bus stop to hand it over

So: Great service, great teas, great chairs and less than sky-high prices. What's people's beef with the prices? I couldn't afford to go there more than once a week but come on - compared to what people DO spend their money on* .. a place that gives a large portion of space to speciality teas, coffees, champagne beer, wines, champagne, other beer, other food..

We should be overjoyed to have something like this nearby - we can still go to a caff if we want cheap n cheerful no?

* Those other things (as far as I can tell) off the top of my head

close to a fiver for a dvd rental

close to 3 quid for a ringtone

close to a quid for a variety of phone-on "reality" shows - even if they weren't on the fiddle

Sean - to be fair, their tea and pastries are fairly priced - I don't think anyone has made a fuss about that ... but did you look at their "food menu" - that's where it becomes extortionate. Perhaps they don't want to encourage people to stay and eat while sitting on the precious chairs. But even then I wouldn't mind if the sandwiches were exquisite - but they were absolutely painfully ordinary.

Style over substance I'm afraid Sean. But great tea yes.