Asked to leave Chandelier (Lounged)

bald marauder

Here's a tale that will no doubt delight forumites like the cat-loving piano teacher, amongst others.

Mrs M and baby M (10 months now) were in Chandelier having lunch with some friends who also have babies (yes, you can picture the scene, typical ED yummy mummy cake-fest). One of the babies in question was being fed by his mum - not breastfeeding - but from a jar of baby food. (I wasn't there, but from experience can imagine that this was all happening with as much discretion and consideration for other diners as possible.)

Then, they were asked to leave, as it is not permissible to consume any food on the premises that is not actually sold/provided by Chendelier. Now, if they clearly didn't encourage families, that would be fair enough - but they have high-chairs - and they don't sell baby food - so what do they expect?!!! Of all the other customers in there at the time, only one table didn't have children, so maybe they want to restore more balance to their customer base - in which case I suggest they should get rid of the high chairs! And given how many mums there are in ED, I imagine they may live to regret this policy - then again there may be many who would appreciate a child-free place to relax. Only time will tell...

They're on a roll! We walked out on Tuesday afternoon after having been asked quite rudely to move off the upholstered chairs in case we make stains on them. See post from last night on previous Chandelier thread...

Basically not baby/child-friendly. BIG mistake in ED.

we walked out because we ordered some pastries to take out and the girl disappeared to get a box for them

10 minutes later we were still waiting for her to return with the mythical box

wasn't worth the wait

and they were the smallest cakes in the world too .. I was just intrigued as to whether all the taste was condensed too

EllaBelle Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> They're on a roll! We walked out on Tuesday

> afternoon after having been asked quite rudely to

> move off the upholstered chairs in case we make

> stains on them. See post from last night on

> previous Chandelier thread...

>

> Basically not baby/child-friendly. BIG mistake in

> ED.

Or perhaps a marvellous, indeed triumphant stroke of genius! Creating an oasis for those who prefer to relax and dine in the presence of those above four years of age. As I said on the other thread, EB, I think you should stick to your principles and ensure that neither you nor your child-rearing comrades weaken even for an instant in your commendable determination never to set foot in Le Chandelier again. Yessssss!!!!

I think what we should do next is start to object to all those pubs, bars and eateries that have signs in the windows saying 'No working clothes'. After all, it is atrocious to discriminate against decent, honest labouring types. I mean, My God, if proprietors have the right to determine who to admit to their establishments whatever next? It's worse than Communism! Who is with me?

I can't believe anywhere in East Dulwich would be silly enough to do that. East Dulwich is full of mothers and babies during the day and surely most places would be empty without them. I know it has been said many times but East Dulwich is a nappy valley. If establishments don't want mothers and babies maybe they should put a sign up so we know where we are not wanted.

My first experience at chandelier was ordering 2 glasses of wine and waiting 15 mins to be served. There were only 2 other couples in there and we sat opposite the 2 people we had placed the order with, whilst they flirted. At which point we went back up and asked again for our wine again and finally got served 5 mins later. Will still give it another chance but not hugely impressed so far.

Oh my god! That makes me so angry! I haven't been into Le Chandelier yet, but certainly when I walk past most days it's full of Mums and babies... would they stand a chance of surviving if they alienate their main clientele? Fair enough having rules about food being bought in from home if they sell a replacement (like the John Lewis cafe... where they give you a free jar of baby food if you're eating there), but certainly custard tarts and chocolate eclairs aren't really suitable options (although I'm sure my 8 month old would love them if I gave him a chance!).

Sounds odd to me, I don't understand why it's full of mum's and babies yet there's claims that they're not welcome. I reckon it's a misunderstanding, as Mellors said she's fed her baby in there without problems. If I go past there today I'll ask them what their policy is to clear this up.

My impression is they've almost got it right there.

It is pricey, but its lovely too - a great place for a treat. I took my 5 year old there for a first day at school juice and cake treat. The staff were absolutely lovely and treated her like a princess.

The baby food thing is probably down to staff over enforcing a rule. They probably don't have or have never had babies and can't for the life of them think why it might be an issue. Its pretty impossible to know "what its like" having children if you don't. I can see why being treated as you were would be very distressing. I remember wen mine were small you already feel quite vulnerable and encumbered - you take up loads of room and have loads of stuf to carry and it can feel like the world doesn't want you and your baby in it. When you're challenged for doing something as basic as feeding your child it fees horrible.

I thought they had an upstairs kid-free zone - which sounds like a great idea and its rare that anywhere is big enough to accommodate kids and adults who don't want to mix comfortably.

I really like this place. It slows me down - could be the start of a slow food campaign in ED. I don't want instant service, I want to be made to slow down, chill out and relax - it's what afternoon tea and cakes (or anytime tea & cakes) should be about.

Agree it's slightly odd about the children thing - everyone there has always been so friendly - including other customers that the idea of them "throwing" customers out doesn't fit their image or my experiences. Admittedly my children are now 17 & 15 and therefore more likely to be thrown on grounds of hair style and dress sense than eating habits - tho' come to think of it ....!

reminds me of a story my mate in whitstable told me about a local cafe type establishment which basically carried out an ethnic cleansing type policy on kids by posting on its walls and believe it or not the local rag its policy on kids basically that if kids started running around the place or becoming loud or unruly they and any accompaning parents would be asked to leave.it closed down 6 weeks later,lack of custom.

Until a child is old enough to go to nursery, they should be kept at home with the parent, simple. Bloody annoying parents swomping a restaurant or cafe during the day is pure mental torture. The fact is the establishment do not sell baby food for a reason, and putting high chairs out is probably just some sort of 'done thing' to be seen to be caring and nice.

Allow other folk to enjoy their free time. Kids should be not seen or heard in public (other than on a weekend perhaps). :)

Procreation is part of life, it is also a choice. If a person wishes to dedicate a certain time toward new offspring then they should consider other people in the choices they make. Going into a cafe or restaurant during the day and allowing a child to make noise and run around is just not on. In my day it simply would not have happened. FREE TIME includes wishing to start a family. If it's hard work then tough, you brought it on yourself.

Back on topic I think the above mentioned establishment does have negative aspects, but put aside from the child and parent issue they should be dealt with seperately.