The Gowlett - noise abatement

I was in a rotten mood this morning- maybe it's Theresa May and her lying ;)

The Gowlett is quiet whenever I'm down there - and that included the traditional New Years Day party thingy that's really popular. It isn't locals that make the worst noise - I'm pretty sure that's people coming here to go clubbing and planning to stay out all night.

Can't actually believe some people believe the Gowlett is noisy - My flat would not be suitable for families is all I'd say :) The big complaint in my bit of town is the Whistling guy - as the rest is just the liveliness of Rye lane.

The whistling (and a bit of swearing with it) was pretty bad last night - surprised it didn't reach as far as the Gowlett - the noise issue is being directed the wrong way - it's like a mouse versus an elephant.

Anyway there's this hashtag coming on twitter #dontcutthegowlettoutofpeckham

Hi all, I have been in contact with officers about this. The information I've got is that:- There was a private party in the pub over Easter and a resident called the noise team. They came out and following a second complaint from the same resident they came out again. The music noise level was assessed to be at a level high enough to be a nuisance to local residents and hence why there was a noise abatement order. What the noise abatement order means, deal with the issues that happened that night and it shouldn't be repeated.

I have asked that officers communicate with the Gowlett management. We have a really good bunch of officers working with Licensed premises to help them sort out any issues there may be. This appears to have been a one off event. They have 21 days to appeal if they think the Council was wrong in issuing the order. Local pubs such as this are very important to local communities; the best way to support them is to use them.

Renata

Thanks Renata,

That might make a lot of sense because surely if any issue is to do with the licencing hours or the fact it is a pub then it is a licencing issue rather than a noise abatement issue. In fact this would be an abuse of the noise abatement powers.

I know there was a private party there over Easter but that's not normal.

The Gowlett is great place and has offered something very different from other places here for many years so it is important to protect.

It would be heart breaking and negative if this was a straight forward case 9f someone moving next to a pub amd complaining that the pub is there.

Both y