> because everything is becoming so much more

> expensive. Heating and food are going through the

> roof so I think the gready vat rise by the

> government is a further attack on the poor. As

> for the govt saying we're all going to have to

> suffer is easy to say when you're already a rich

> politician and the impact of such a rise will be

> minimal.

I can't help making another techy point, but heat and light for domestic use are reduced rated at 5% and are unaffected by the VAT rate rise. Also, JohnL it looks like Starbucks are showing the VAT increased price and charging the VAT at the lower rate. It will probably be 2.50 from tomorrow.

What you CAN say:

Cameron pledged in April not to raise VAT

Someone on 16k a year in london is better placed to say how this will affect them than someone on say 40k a year

Or 400k a year. And remember when someone on 400k a year is even threatened with a tax increase they bleat far more than the people on 16k

Spot on SM, that was the point I was trying to make. Attack on the poor - whether deliberate or not (and I have my opinion on this as well).

"We currently live in a capitalist society where individuals are rewarded according to the ability to generate wealth surely?"

Or the ability to be born to the right parents, the right colour, in the right area. Very little to do with ability often!

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What you CAN say:

>

> Cameron pledged in April not to raise VAT

Cameron didn't "pledge" - he gave the usual canny politician's answer when pressed to make an impossible commitment and said "We have absolutely no plans to raise VAT. Our first budget is all about recognising we need to get spending under control rather than putting up tax". He went on to say that he expected to inherit a real financial mess and that his preferred method of tackling this was by cutting gov't spending.

That is very different from a pledge not to raise VAT as you will recognise - and, as I see you as someone with a sophisticated understanding of politics, I'm sure you didn't fully believe Cameron way back in April and took his remarks with a large dose of salt.

Re-writing recent political history is becoming something of a growth activity - with the Millibrand forgetting his own party's plans for cutting spending and raising taxes. Remember Darling was planning a VAT increase to 19% - an implicit acknowledgement that a government of any political persuasion would be raising VAT and that it's not a Tory plot to attack the poor.

Hmmm - yes and no MM.

Of course I didn't believe Cameron back then and I think I have said on a couple of occasions that if VAT going from 17.5% to 15% didn't cause spontaneous national partying, I don't see why a rise from 17.5% to 20% should elicit a national period of mourning either

that said tho, the remarks of some people on here have gone too far the other way for me

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

> And remember when someone on 400k

> a year is even threatened with a tax increase they

> bleat far more than the people on 16k

I dunno, where are the people on this thread saying "this is unfair on us higher-rate taxpayers?"

Jeremy Wrote:

> SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > And remember when someone on 400k

> > a year is even threatened with a tax increase

> they

> > bleat far more than the people on 16k

>

> I dunno, where are the people on this thread

> saying "this is unfair on us higher-rate

> taxpayers?"

I think SM means in the press, generally, not on here. We often seem to get reports of how all the wealthy / bankers / investors / what you will, will leave the country if they are asked to pay any more tax.