How much did you pay for your garden landscaping?

Jess85

Apologies for the nosy question, but we are in the middle of obtaining quotes to have our garden landscaped /made into something other than the rather plain space it is now, and the quotes are just eye watering. I would say our garden is "medium sized" (it's a flat) so it's not enormous nor is it a small space/yard. We have a large side access and currently it's turfed with some gravel around the back door.

We aren't looking for anything incredible, some paving and a few raised borders.

I'd be interested to know roughly what others have paid to have their garden done. Maybe we are totally delusional! Please PM me obviously if you would rather!

I would like to say its cheap - but it isn't..

our requirements was a bit more than yours.. but it ended up double what i had budgeted.. and what i had budgeted was extortionate in the first place.

plants cost a lot more than you think -- and you need a lot of them.. and the labour cost alone is not cheap for 2 or 3 people for a few weeks - plus skips etc..

all in all - i am not surprised by the costs.. have you thought about DIY?

Mine was not very cheap because it involved a lot of paving but it was beautifully done and when I went through the costing it had been done well. They did an excellent job - would thoroughly recommend if you want another quote - The Botanical Gardener. Very knowledgeable and all staff exceedingly nice people.

As a garden builder & designer of 15 years in the area, I would advise you set your self a budget that you can afford & ask at least 3 recommended gardeners in the area to give you detailed quotes & ideas. You can pick their brains & form a plan out of their ideas of what you want. The quotes should be close to each other, but do not make your choice on the basis of cheapest cost. Cheapest is not necessarily best. Use your judgement of their knowledge & previous projects. A good designer will be innovative, listen to what you want for you & your family if you have one & translate that into a good garden designed to your budget. Honesty & reality are required. Good luck

Nigel