Brierly V's The Lanes

Jasmina

I had a baby with the Lanes six months ago, and also had a great experience. I ended up having to be induced 2 weeks early, so was at King's, and my own midwife was on holiday at the time, but I had already met the two midwives who attended me a couple of times and they were both fantastic. I would strongly advise going to their 'meet the midwives' in case you do end up in a situation where for whatever reason 'your' midwife can't be there. I found the few weeks after the birth really quite difficult, was very emotional, and someone came to seem me every other day for the first couple of weeks, then two to to three times a week with phonecalls in between as I started to gain confidence. They won't sign you off until they're sure you are able to cope.

I have two friends who had home births with the Brierly who can't praise them enough.

I'd also like to put in a word for the King's midwives. I was on the ward for nearly two days while the induction was happening, which wasn't pleasant, but all the midwives I came across were very kind and caring. I would say community midwife is ideal, but if you do end up with King's midwives don't assume you will have a bad experience. They are really busy, and will change as the shifts change, but I believe most of them are both caring and professional and will do their very best for you.

Congratulations and good luck to all the expectant mothers!

Sarah

• 2 months later...

sorry to hi-jack this thread but i was wondering... the mums who used brierley, did anyone use their birthing pool too? i am planning a homebirth with brierley and in due in 4 weeks now (eek!) and trying to decide whether to use their birthing pool or buy one of those blow-up pool in a box ones. in my head i have it that the brierley one is bigger and with hard sides so might not be as comfortable as a blow up one....

anyone have any opinions?

Hi Pilsbury,

I'd love to hear which pool you choose and how you find it.

Julia is my midwife at the Brierley, the one thing she mentioned is that the blow up ones some times allow water over the edge if not blown up really hard as collapse slightly when leaning on it. Although I'm sure water on the floor will be the last thing you're thinking of when little one is arriving.

A friend and I with due dates a month apart went halves on a pool in a box and I loved it, I spent much of the time with my neck and shoulder's braced against the edge which would have been rather less comfortable with a rigid pool. By buying your own you can also put it up in the final weeks of your pregnancy and bob about in when every you're feeling a bit achy or want to watch TV in more comfort than from the sofa.

Do invest in the most powerful pump you can to empty it though. It will be well worth it.

i've actually elected to go with the brierley one and my lveoloy midwife rae bought it over this morning, so we'll have a practice run at putting it up this weekend. apparently it does have padded edges and a padded floor so should be comfortable (plus you can put extra towels/bedding etc under it of course). i'm not due til may 10th though so will be a wee while before it get a full test run :)

yep you give them a cheque for ?60 for a new set of liners and if for some reason you don't end up using it, then they tear your cheque up. i think the only possible downside to it all, is that if you're very late then the person booked in after you might end up needing it before you (if that makes sense).. but apparently at the moment its not in demand too much anyhow...