the peoples supermarket

bodsier

I am involved in setting up a not for profit local veg box scheme (launch Sept) so this might go some way to address some of these issues. The veg will be organic and from local farms as close to the Dulwich area as poss eg Sutton. But happy to be involved in any discussions about a retail venture for the community. Maria

Thanks Louisiana :)

I see Infinity Foods are mentioned. I find them hugely expensive. My daughter gets a bulk order from them every few months and splits it with friends, but I find I can get most things cheaper or around the same price locally, eg from SMBS.

languagelounger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> >

> Just that as there are already two Co-op stores

> and a Co=op chemist in se22, if all the people

> expressing interest exercised their right to join

> the existing Co-op, could they not influence it,

> rather than trying to start all over again?

But "The Co-operative" (group of organisations) doesn't have any monopoly on the co-operative model. There are tens of thousands of co-ops out there. I've helped to found a couple myself :-S

The

> Co-op movement was founded to defend ordinary

> people from vicious greedy b******* but having

> defeated the Greed monster it seems it was

> consumed by the Vanity monster since as soon as

> the masses had a bit of cash form the 1960s on

> they abandoned the Co-op mostly out of snobbery.

I would say that by the 1970s there was a new generation of co-ops emerging, and the old Co-op model was looking distinctly tired.

>

> What was the Co-op building at the bottom of Rye

> Lane now houses a Pay Day loan company, a bookies

> and a Tesco.

>

> It's quite curious that we are so unconscious of

> our own history that most people have no idea what

> the Co-op is or how or where the Co-op movement

> was founded, and that the source of inspiration

> quoted here is Brooklyn. I know ED is nothing if

> it is not pretentious, but honestly....toooo much.

> I don't suppose anyone here is going to admit to

> having visited and been impressed by a co-op in

> Rochdale, for instance?

Not Rochdale, but there's a great food co-op in Chorlton...set up in 1996.

Hello,

Lindsay here from the South London Press newspaper. If you're serious about setting up a People's Supermarket, I might be able to write an article on this, encouraging people to get involved. Let me know if you're interested.

Kind regards,

Lindsay - 020 87106437

I met the initiators of the People's Supermarket a couple of years ago at the Lambeth County Fair - this was back in the days when they were still gauging interest and looking for a suitable site. I gave my details for their "mailing list" but never heard anything further - so I was pleased to see the Channel 4 documentary which showed them up and running. Although the concept is not without it's difficulties (pricing issues, conflicts in what members want the supermarket to stock, etc), I do think there is a place for it. It provides an amazing opportunity for any member of the community to participate & see themselves making a direct impact - something which can be very difficult to find in a large city.

I would definitely be interested in joining & volunteering if we were to open a People's Supermarket in the area.

I work near the Peoples Supermarket in Clerkenwell and though it's good-intentioned, at work it's referred to as the 'hippy Londis' - there's nothing you can't get anywhere else, it's not cheap etc. I think they need to sort out what they're going to stock a bit better, though the veg is great.

Manchester's Unicorn's been going years and is what they are trying to rip off:

http://www.unicorn-grocery.co.uk/

Their product lines are fantastic - I don't agree with their enforced veganism (they don't sell honey as 'it's cruel to bes') - but they go from strength to strength and serve as a real cornerstone of the community round there.

Something like this would be loads better than a Waitrose or whatever in the area, at least they try and give something back to the community.

I have been following the Channel 4 programme, and there are several articles you can read about it online.

The 2 managers, Arthur and Kate, come both from grounded business experiences in the food market. Kate, in particular, worked for M&S.

If something local were to be born, I'd absolutely love to be part of it from the onset, but it needs to be solid.

Also, TPS got a big boost at the beginning from the council (and other), because it provided work experience for the unemployed.

Everybody is a winner...

Jesus wept!

Do we really need another inept community run supermarket like the co-op? I went in there yesterday and there was no chicken - anywhere - literally- just reams of bare shelf. Once i went in and there was no toothpaste (bare shelf) I went back every day for a week and there was no toothpaste for 8 days!!

I'm as anti-capitalism as the rest of them (I advocate getting rid of cafe Nero) but it's a joke.

So, i would prefer small independent retailers making some money and boosting the economy but over other supermarkets I definitely support M&S or Waitrose moving in - preferably taking over from Iceland - their chicken is far too cheap and un-sourced. It's a revolting shop.

In the meantime, let's shop at independent 'Mom n Pop stores' - put the money where it's needed.

eucalyptus - regarding Iceland, the following is taken from their website.

Caring about animal welfare

Iceland adheres to a strict animal welfare policy. We work with our suppliers to ensure high standards of animal welfare based on the Five Freedoms endorsed by the Farm Animal Welfare Council:

1. Freedom from hunger and thirst by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour.

2. Freedom from discomfort by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.

3. Freedom from pain, injury or disease by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment.

4. Freedom to express normal behaviour by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal's own kind.

5. Freedom from fear and distress by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering.

It's funny isn't it - I guess most consumers would assume non-organic/free-range chickens from M&S have a happier life than the same sold in Iceland (and they may be right).

People assume this because of their perception of the brands involved and the prices they are paying, not - I suspect because of any hard evidence.

eucalyptus Wrote:

I definitely support M&S

> or Waitrose moving in - preferably taking over

> from Iceland - their chicken is far too cheap

xxxxxxx

I guess you're not on a pension or benefits then, eucalyptus.

Not everybody can afford to buy organic free range, even if they would prefer to.

ed_pete Wrote:

> eucalyptus - regarding Iceland, the following is

> taken from their website.

>

> Caring about animal welfare

> Iceland adheres to a strict animal welfare policy.

> We work with our suppliers to ensure high

> standards of animal welfare based on the Five

> Freedoms endorsed by the Farm Animal Welfare

> Council:

>

> 1. Freedom from hunger and thirst by ready access

> to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health

> and vigour.

> 2. Freedom from discomfort by providing an

> appropriate environment including shelter and a

> comfortable resting area.

> 3. Freedom from pain, injury or disease by

> prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment.

> 4. Freedom to express normal behaviour by

> providing sufficient space, proper facilities and

> company of the animal's own kind.

> 5. Freedom from fear and distress by ensuring

> conditions and treatment which avoid mental

> suffering.

>

>

> It's funny isn't it - I guess most consumers would

> assume non-organic/free-range chickens from M&S

> have a happier life than the same sold in Iceland

> (and they may be right).

> People assume this because of their perception of

> the brands involved and the prices they are

> paying, not - I suspect because of any hard

> evidence.

that is bullshit - an all chickens farmed in the UK ar subject to this - and Sue, I agree, so I've gone vegetarian most nights for dinner

I fear ed_pete, while he has the best intentions, is dangerously naive. I've been to these 'so called' chicken farms and they are warehouses with cages of chickens stacked on top of each other, beaks and claws cut off. its a disgusting experience and i wouldn't wish it on anyone. which is why, and i'm not rich, i would rather eat veges four nights a week.

If I may refocus this discussion:

I think that we've been brainwashed for years by the 'big boys' into identifying quality with what they want us to buy.

Moreover, multiple retailers manipulate consumers in so many subtle ways, and make us believe they're giving us what we want.

TPS and other small retailers provide (among the rest)food which does not fit with the quality standards set by the big boys and it requires a different mind-set; it forces us to think more before we buy. Also, the way they source their supplies ensures that small producers are treated with respect, and not dictated to.

It's never gonna be a big hit, but anything that's giving us more choice is welcome.

I've only caught a few of the episodes, but the main focus seems to be fruit and veg. I understand that he doesn't want to stock lots of fish or meat as the shelf life is so short, but, how do the cupboard items fit in. He's not challenging supermarkets on quality there or striking fair deals with Heinz or whomever so how does that fit into the Mission? Is it even necessary to stock these things or are they good profit makers?