How do you measure uncertainty?

Since the Toad raised this question, it has been both scoped and probed by many.

Now, lets apply to live issues were there are pending / current cutbacks / changes:

* Council,

* Police,

* Royal Navy,

Which one are you uneasy with and how can you measure your uncertainty?

TLT

• 2 weeks later...

The perigee will be upon us on Saturday 19th March.

Whats this? This is the closest passing point of the Moon to Earth, the last time this happened was 19 years ago.

There is uncertainty over the effects this will have, and the belief is that there will be a disturbance to the weather patterns and potentially worse! If it is thought to cause trouble on planet Earth, how can we measure such uncertainty?

I asked the scientist on Sunday (see starting thread) and she pointed out the key determinant, the tidal flow is determined by the moon. When the moon is above the sea, the sea is pull towards the moon and bulges up causing high tide.

What will be the net result be when the moon is over the sea covering active Tectonic Plates?

The Toad

The variation in lunar proximity is so small that the impact on gravitational forces affecting the sea will be marginally less than someone farting as they walk on the beach.

Since we don't feel this introduces sufficient uncertainty to enter our daily list of items to panic over, there seems no reason to add the perigee to them either.

What will be the net result be when the moon is over the sea covering active Tectonic Plates?

I wouldn't worry Toad, the tectonic plates are always active and they have been for around four thousand, six hundred million years (give or take a few hundred million years) :)

Aaaaaah!

Toad will continue lying around the pond (think of Wham!), I feel rest assured now!

The question is...did the goldfish just breath out or....... was it more like a fart below the surface that was influenced by the Perigee?

The Toad

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
To measure uncertainty you would need to first define its meaning and then plot a continuum between absolutely certain and absolutely uncertain. Then the measure is the point of uncertainty indicated on the continuum at any given time.

• 3 weeks later...

Toad speaks!

Which everway you look at it, there is uncertainty that we experience on a weekly or daily basis. In the car we consider enroute which way to work we should travel if we hear about traffic jams, or which tube line before we leave, and then back to the weather - will be cold,wet or sunny later?

So, what about policy!?

TLT

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...