rendelharris Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> And according to the latest polls is now more than

> half.

>

> "When the facts change I change my mind. What do

> you do, sir?" J.M.Keynes

And the moon is made of green cheese Rendel

I can imagine a situation where going into the cake shop and saying "I think I'll have the best cake in the shop but I'm only going to give you a quarter of the price" would receive a somewhat robust response. Of course, one can then toddle off to other cake shops and pay twice as much for a worse product, but at least one can tell others "I didn't let that first cake shop rip me off, no sirree!"

keano77 Wrote:

> There are a lot of positive things about the EU

> that I agree with blah blah, that's why I would be

> happy to cherry pick

Angela Merkel she say NO

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/brexit-angela-merkel-theresa-may-cannot-cherry-pick-terms-latest-eu-uk-a7458486.html

Edit: I still can't embed :(

keano77 Wrote:

> Precisely. Can you imagine a situation where you

> were told you can only buy your cakes from

> particular cakeshops?

>

> Perish the thought

Well of course it'll be wonderful to be told that the free trade deal with America which Trump says will be 'great' (yeah, for America) will allow us to buy all that sub-standard American meat (and other foodstuffs) which doesn't meet current EU standards. Still, nice to know we can pay them for chlorinated chicken while they buy the NHS.

Really, how long until this cloud cuckoo land 'trade deal' do we get to hang about for

Because we need to actually leave the EU 100% and then negotiations can aim to deliver a deal

It won't be anything like soon, or in the middle future. It will be some long time off, so get used to the cake you have, because no new cake shop open anytime soon.

Next?

A year ago I was unpleasantly surprised at the way so many people could displace their discontent with society at large into a vote for such a poorly understood future. I couldn't say for sure whether it would be a disaster, or whether as some cheerier souls predicted it might be an opportunity to rebuild trading and political relationships to better suit us.

As negotiations move on, however, it becomes increasingly apparent that as the weaker, less united, less competent side in the talks, we won't be setting the terms of exit. Several examples of backflipping from the story earlier told for domestic consumption are now well documented.

For the xenophobes who voted purely on fears of immigration, it must be clearly apparent now that Brexit won't drastically change the numbers. It turns out too that the UK was doing far less than it could to kerb immigration within the available guidelines of the EU.

For those who thought the City had something special to offer that nowhere in the EU could match, behold the relocation announcements of the big banks. Sure it's operational at the minute, but why would the main functions not follow suit over an extended period?

The state machinery looks like it will have to grind through years of reworking for new rules. News to me was the fact that to rework the 1000s of pieces of legislation in a sane timeframe (the Great Repeal Bill), special powers will be used to push legislation through without ordinary scrutiny. This worries me, and definitely doesn't constitute taking back control.

If Brexit by now isn't objectively a disaster, based on the above, I'd like to hear some Brexit success stories that would prove the rash optimism of Boris Johnson et al a year ago was in any way justified?

malumbu Wrote:

> We will be able to go to the butchers counter and

> ask for chlorine washed chicken though... But

> perhaps not red smarties.

Make a change from Salmonella and campylobacter and will save the NHS a fortune treating tummy bugs

The problem is that leavers have no understanding of or interest in detail. Their world is one of black and white absolutes, where you only need to change one thing for the better, to change everything for the better.

Take EU immigration for example. Belguim deports anyone who does not find a job within three months and it is perfectly within EU rules to do so. But how many leaves voters even know that.

What has happened is that free marketeers like Farage, who want an end to regulation so that the barons can make even more money at the cost of the rest of us, have turned the EU into the bogeyman, the source of all woes, when in fact, it is our own successive governments that have created the economy we live within.

The naivety of it all is truly astounding, perfectly illustrated here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmtRUB-gM4s&list=PLrgFLlOQBmlYSTvvlLXk6JqgRGsSFSN5z