Things that annoy the North about the South

Ridgley

dullified - to address the stereotypes you mentioned...

> They take themselves rather too seriously (no irreverent or self deprecating sense of humour).

True. But Northerners aren't funny either - they just think they are.

> ?ooh could never get wasted on a school night!?.

Northerners don't usually have jobs, so it's not really a fair comparison

> Are outrageously materialistic (in particular property obsessed).

I can't argue on that one. Although in the North, houses are basically free, so it's never become an issue.

> have rather pedantic natures and depressingly provincial

Only in the provinces. Londoners cannot - by definition - be provincial (pedantic enough for you?)

Happy to help.

If you're addressing me, then allow me to assure you that I didn't intend to hurt your feelings. Although it's not as though I singled you out personally, so what's the big deal?

Anyway, back to deriding the painted northerners.

Like another poster has commented before me, northerners do tend to think that they're the life and soul of the party, whichever part of the world they're in, let alone their native soil. And it has to be said, this characteristic, overbearing delusion of grandeur in social heirarchy does get a bit boring after enduring the constant bombardment of faux cameraderie, and sly criticism levelled against those from southern shires. And yes, however much they try convince you otherwise, by whatever means, northerners who are always trying to, aren't usually that funny. Except, of course, when they appear on television being bundled into the back of a meatwagon after getting the shit kicked out of them by a group of irritated bouncers. Although it must be said, the most satisfying yelps of prostestation against the police always come from the mouth of a Scouser i.e - "What the fock, lad. Yer breakin' me fockin' arm, lad. Arrrrgh!" These Merseyside hardnuts can invariably heard crying in the back of the van, or the moments that follow them being rushed after repeatedly refusing to cooperate and stop banging their thick skulls against the cell door.

It ( the divide ) exits everywhere.

In Iceland, they love a Hot-dog ( who doesn't ? )

When in Reykjavik, I asked for crispy onions on the bottom of mine , the vendor inquired.

" Oh, so you are from the North then ? "

( apparently they like soft onions in the capitol )

So, in a country of under half a million people, they are divided geographically & by onion texture.

Indeed.

N:-S

I went to the north in my younger days. My friend drove me from the south to see a girlfriend. We weren't in the pub long when northern soldiers came in as they saw a car parked which was from the south. They spoke to us with their guns but decided to leave us alone after a few questions. Why were we annoying? Answer me that?