Education, Education, Education

Hi all parents and carers who use this forum.

You may have seen the various threads on this forum relating to secondary school admissions and thought that doesn't concern our family as you have may have just found out that you are pregnant or have a new born or your child has just started primary school and you think that things are bound to change by the time it gets to us.

If we all don't do something nothing will ever change and the same thing will happen year after year to the children who live in East Dulwich, Camberwell and Nunhead. On the day that school allocations came out 200 Southwark children where not given any of the 6 schools that they put down as 'choices' and 40 children had no school what so ever.

We are sadly lacking a good co-ed secondary school- Charter's catchment is tiny and Kingsdale is a lottery open to all of London. I want to send my son and daughter to a local co-ed. I want my kids to go to school in the community that we live in. I don't want them to be teenagers spending hours everyday on buses.

I would really would dearly like Harris to become a co-ed and put right the opportunity that was missed 5 years ago. Also there are the stirrings of a campaign for a 'free' school but for it there has to be support from local families.

I have major misgivings about 'free' schools but there is at least 4 more years of this policy so what option does our local community have to create a new school? As long as it is non selective and represents the local community of East Dulwich, Camberwell and Nunhead then it has to be better than nothing. (Kingsdale and Charter could even take it under their wing and later make it part of a new federation of schools?)

I urge you to start thinking about this issue now not when your child is in year 5 or 6. Collectively we need to ask our locally elected representatives for leadership on this very important issue.

We need another co-ed in this area of South London. Do our local elected reps agree? Renata and James please can you show your support and leadership!

The number of children needing places in our area is going to increase over the coming years not decrease. There is no co-ed school that my children will stand a realistic chance of getting into. Absolutely agree that the admission policies must be changed too. I believe it should be lottery within a defined catchment for all schools. So no plus points for houses near to schools.

There are 200 parents who didn't get any of their 6 choices though, so there would probably be well over 40 who signed up for another decent option.

The 40 without any offer at all is just the tip of the iceberg.

And realistically, any school in the Camberwell / Nunhead area of Southwark would be likely to be accessible to Lambeth or Lewisham parents, even with a distance based admission.

I agree the main problem is the fragmentation, but that one isn't going to go away, whether a new school opens or not.

with the bulge classes in southwark primary schools over the last couple of years, where will the future secondary school places for these extra children be??? i can only see the problem getting worse. this is an issue which should concern us all.

I do totally agree that children should not have to travel hours on buses to go to school - having done so myself, I know how difficult it is to make good friends, have meaningful after school activities and simply how tiring it is! Plus, it is important to keep some sense of community in teenagers as well - especially in a place like London. I have a little time (my LO is only 8weeks) but want to give support where possible. Not being from the UK, I am not quite sure what the school provisions are, particularly locally - can you please point me in the direction of some information? Also, are there campaigns that I can lend support to? Thanks

Ko Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> with the bulge classes in southwark primary

> schools over the last couple of years, where will

> the future secondary school places for these extra

> children be??? i can only see the problem getting

> worse. this is an issue which should concern us

> all.

The government decides if a new school is needed. Any such new school under the cxurrent system will be a free school or academy, deciding its own admission arrangements. More fragmentation. Any chance of a rational, coordinated set of admissions policies across the area died a death with the birth of the academy and the end of the LA's control.

ovKo Wrote:

> with the bulge classes in southwark primary

> schools over the last couple of years, where will

> the future secondary school places for these extra

> children be??? i can only see the problem getting

> worse. this is an issue which should concern us

> all.

The government decides if a new school is needed. Any such new school under the cxurrent system will be a free school or academy, deciding its own admission arrangements. More fragmentation. Any chance of a rational, coordinated set of admissions policies across the area died a death with the birth of the academy and the end of the LA's control. Supporting more free schools ("in our area") will just make the problem worse and hive off money from existing schools including primnary.

Cynical, moi?!

Tara Wrote:

> According to stats released today, Southwark has

> one of the lowest percentages for first preference

> offers in the country (second only to Slough) -

> 53% compared to 85% nationally.

>

> http://www.education.gov.uk/inthenews/pressnotices

> /a0075687/gibb-admissions-statistics-show-there-ar

> e-too-few-good-schools

100% church schools and academies is great for parental choice, then?!

Fuschia yes I agree with you completely about a coordiated set of admission policies but if Labour didn't do it during 13 years it is never going to happen during the next 4. I want a decent co-ed school in yes 'the area' i.e. community in which I live to sent my kids to. Should that only be open to some or to the wealthy?

Is the expansion of the established co-eds being discussed?

The Southwark stats say it all really.

When I was a child everyone in our class went to the same secondary no forms, no choice, no preference and it wasn't fancy. Happy days.

I see from SE22 magazine that the local community meeting for East Dulwich is on 28th April. We are on holiday so I can't go but this issue needs to be raised there. Will be at the next one.

Hi skyblue,

I'm afraid I don't see the need for another secondary school in south Southwark. The problems we have appear largely due to Southwark secondary schools taking so many none Southwark kids.

I'm not sure where you get 200 parents from?

The actual number of Southwark kids in SE22 not allocated a secondary school in the first round was 34 with 44 for the whole of Southwark.

Do you mean the number who didn't get a 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice?

I received a PM asking about the hospital site. For a school to be built the land would need to be purchased. And then planning permissions etc. You'd be talking about ?30M and proving to the Department of Education that a need exists. But the Labour led Southwark council has wobbled about the need for a new secondary school in Rotherhither with 10,000+ more homes being built so I'd be surprised if they felt a case could be made for a new school when no real home building is taking place in our area - total sub 100 new homes in the next 5 years I'd guess.

James Barber Wrote:

> I received a PM asking about the hospital site.

> For a school to be built the land would need to be

> purchased. And then planning permissions etc.

> You'd be talking about ?30M and proving to the

> Department of Education that a need exists. But

> the Labour led Southwark council has wobbled about

> the need for a new secondary school in

> Rotherhither with 10,000+ more homes being built

> so I'd be surprised if they felt a case could be

> made for a new school when no real home building

> is taking place in our area - total sub 100 new

> homes in the next 5 years I'd guess.

Hi James, thanks for the info. regarding the Grove Park site you mentioned, would that land also have to be purchased? would the costs also be around ?30million? thanks

Skyblue seems to be arguing for Harris to turn co ed. There is so little play space on the boys site, it would be a great 6th form while the girls school could be ks3 and 4. This may well boil down to whether your a parent of boys or girls and if you want you children to all goto the same school. Having been through primary school issues I can see the logic of starting any campaign now if we want a local co ed school ready for when the ed baby boom hits secondary school.

The local LA doesn't have a say in the nature of academies and I doubt there is a simple procedure to change a boys only secondary school into a 6th form and make a girls school coed (deeply unpopular with parents as a rule) but in any case it would be Harris you would need to lobby.

Local admissions fora are to be abolished

http://www.localschoolsnetwork.org.uk/2011/03/2869/

But changing the age range and single gende rnature of a school is major change and not the business of an admissions forum anyway

http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/schoolorg/guidance.cfm?id=25

"The process for open Academies wishing to make changes to their provision is different from that to be followed by maintained schools...

Where the Academy's governing body/Trust is considering making a change e.g. enlargement, change of age range (including adding or removing Sixth form or nursery provision), single sex to co-ed etc., they should raise the proposal with their Academy Lead Officer in the YPLA

"

Letter in SLP yesterday criticising Lib Dem/Tory led Southwark (as it was last year ) for failing to challenge Kingsdale's admission policies .

The writer notes

"prospective parents ,and indeed Southwark council ,are able to ask the Secretary of State to make Kingsdale's admissions fairer for 2012 entry ...There is no time to loose .The Academy should confirm its 2012 admission arrangements by April 15 ,and although appeals can be lodged as late as July 1 ,it is best to have done so by mid May "

Is Kingsdale a new Gove style Academy yet ? Is it still a Foundation school ?

Is the process complaint to adjuicator ( who's resigned hasn't he ,because of proposed changes to code ) ,adjuicator makes recommendation to Sec of State the same for both ?

Fuschia ?

I have been in Education for 20yrs one way or another as a parent and a worker. I have also lived in Dulwich all my life. The system parents have now is far better than what we had 15yrs ago, when one parent could have 5 yes's to a sch and another recieve none. The way the Charter School came about was by a group of parents who constantly fought for a decent local school and never gave up. However, there stills needs to be choice in the local area so that all parents can send their children to the sort of school they believe in. Such as, only girls sch, mixed, only boys and faith schools. My only suggestion to you, is that you gather enough support, have a good enough reason for your need and constantly bagder the council for what might take years. So I agree the time is right when your child is 5/6 and not when they are 11 to start complaining. One other idea that parents may consider is all sending your children to a school that is deemed bad. When schools have children that attend who come from homes that have brought them up to a good standard regardless of income or status that too can turn a bad school around and then everyone wants to go there. It depends if parents are willing to take the risk and go through with it.

Good Luck.

James Barber Wrote:

> Hi skyblue,

> I'm afraid I don't see the need for another

> secondary school in south Southwark. The problems

> we have appear largely due to Southwark secondary

> schools taking so many none Southwark kids.

> I'm not sure where you get 200 parents from?

> The actual number of Southwark kids in SE22 not

> allocated a secondary school in the first round

> was 34 with 44 for the whole of Southwark.

> Do you mean the number who didn't get a 1st, 2nd

> or 3rd choice?

>

> I received a PM asking about the hospital site.

> For a school to be built the land would need to be

> purchased. And then planning permissions etc.

> You'd be talking about ?30M and proving to the

> Department of Education that a need exists. But

> the Labour led Southwark council has wobbled about

> the need for a new secondary school in

> Rotherhither with 10,000+ more homes being built

> so I'd be surprised if they felt a case could be

> made for a new school when no real home building

> is taking place in our area - total sub 100 new

> homes in the next 5 years I'd guess.

Could you prevent or dissuade Southwark schools from admitting non-Southwark kids though? I mean, would that even be legal (?)

It does seem to be a problem that so many schools have distance based admission - that is always going leave children in the lurch if they happen to live in a black hole which is equidistant from a number of schools, but close to none. i.e. they are then likely to be offered a more distant undersubscribed school with spare places.

And as others have said, the main problem is fragmentation, with every school allowed to set it's own admission policy.

Again this could leave you without a place if you aren't eligible for your nearest school (eg on faith grounds) as you then aren't likely to be close enough to another school which may admit on distance?