September 2011 primary admissions

Vik

Alice32,

I am sorry about you disappointing news. You will be on the waiting list of the schools dependant on your distance from the school in relation to others on the waiting list.

The catchment distance for a community primary can vary quite a lot from year to year. Numbers of siblings are a big factor and bulge classes.

If a school has had a bulge class, that year the catchment distance will be larger than normal, but for the following 2 or 3 years it's likely to be smaller

due to the larger than usual number of siblings.

Renata

Have just called Southwark to find out where we are on the waiting list, was told to contact the school directly which I did, the school told me that thy do not hold the waiting list and to call Southwark back!

To the point - Southwark say that they do not release the waiting lists until 19th April, super.

Just received my letter. It says about waiting lists

We will automatically add your Childs name to any higher preference Southwark school waiting lists that were unable to offer your child a place. These will be held by the admissions team for all primary schools in Southwark until 31 August 2011. If you would like to check your Childs place on the list please contact us by phone on 02075255337 or by email at [email protected]. All waiting list information relating to Southwark community schools will be updated after 4 April and for Southwark non community schools after 19 April please contact us after these dates.

Sounds completely opposite to what they have just told you, do they know what they are doing.......

Can't believe Southwark told you to call the school Vik! Says on the website admissions criteria document that Southwark will hold the waiting lists until 31 August and then hand them to schools. Also seems to imply that you have to apply to be on any waiting list (although perhaps they put you on automatically for schools you chose originally, I'm not sure). It also says parents have a right to be told where they are on the waiting list at any time, and also to be told about the criteria that apply to them.

People have to accept places by 19 April, so it kind of makes sense that the waiting list will be more formed / meaningful by then. People will want to know how far away from the cut off distance they are though.

I guess we have to wait and see what the letters say about next steps as it does say that the letter will tell us how to get on waiting list / accept /appeal etc.

I tried to phone Southwark admissions this morning only to be told they don't take calls. Excellent! Had to leave a message and someone should call back in 3 working days. Last time I was told that I didn't hear anything for 3 weeks, despite repeated calls. Why is this system so unfair?!

This is all rather scary. Basically, the Dulwich area has become so full of families, that this is likely to get worse and worse.

The area could do with a new primary, and secondary school.

When it comes to secondary, I am all for kids getting the bus to school, and going to other boroughs. But with primary, it really should be somewhere that can walked to in 10-15 minutes. If I lived near the bottom of Lordship Lane, I really wouldn't fancy the walk to Hornimans or Fairlawn every morning. Both of which are Lewisham schools anyway.

A further note of caution people; this Friday is the end of term, then schools will be off for 2 weeks then there are a series of bank holidays so if you want to speak to a particular school or go and see it, you had better get your skates on.

Otta Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

If

> I lived near the bottom of Lordship Lane, I really

> wouldn't fancy the walk to Hornimans or Fairlawn

> every morning. Both of which are Lewisham schools

> anyway.

You're not likely to get into those unless you live very close

2 years ago my son was allocated John Donne which is on the borders of Peckham and New Cross Gate - it was an inappropriate allocation because it was miles away, and not just that, a right royal pain to get to.

2 years later my son is happily settled, happily learning and growing, at Goose Green. It's a great school. I just want to say to any parents who have been allocated this school and have any doubts, it was the best thing which could have happened to us to have got a place at this wonderful community school, and do go and have a look for yourself after the Easter holidays and listen to your instincts about it and just see for yourselves how happy and lovely the children at the school are.

I would have thought the one Lewisham school worth looking at for people at the bottom of Lordship Lane is Horniman. From the streets at the bottom of Lordship Lane to Horniman School is only 5-10 mins walk. They have a bulge class this year, meaning double the normal numbers. In Lewisham, they are squeezed between popular Fairlawn and Eliot Bank schools, so that I would have thought the catchment area for their bulge class will be quite big - even last year they had a pretty large catchment area. Fairlawn is indeed probably too popular and too far away for ED residents.

Got my letter and we have been offered a place at Goose Green, so am v relieved. Not on my chosen list but parents seem to love it and there is a real buzz about it. Frankly, after yesterday am just relieved to be given a school in ED.

I have the letter now too. Overall I find the info in it quite useful and detailed, makes things much clearer than when you just see the offer statement email without the info pack. E.g. it does make clear that you are on waiting list for preferred schools and also states 'if it is possible for us to offer your child a place from a waiting list at one of your higher preference schools, we will contact you immediately'. THis is reassuring - for most of us it seems that all we need to do now is accept the place we are offered and then wait to find out how far down we are the lists.

However they seem to contradict themselves on when to contact them. Page 2 of letter says 'all waiting list info relating to community schools will be updated after 4 april and for non community schools 19 april so please contact us after these dates'. But later in the info pack it says 'you can contact the admissions team for up to date vacancy information after 19 april'. So they shouldn't be surprised if they get a lot of calls!

Another thing I saw on the website which people might find interesting is that if you want to defer a place that you've been offered until later in academic year (e.g. if summer baby, or until term after they are 5) then you don't lose it - school has to honor it.

My sympathy to all those who are waiting - it is nerve racking to say the least!

I'm another positive and happy Goose Green parent of a year one student - my son is doing well and our karoke/quiz evening last week confirmed the friendly vibe of the school. I also have been involved in the PTA (although this year due to my own business taking off I haven't been as involved as other have been ) and helped fundraise for the new green screen and gardens along the Grove Vale fence/playground. When the plants are more established and the climbers are climbing along the fence, it will really lift up the area I think! The folks from the Wildlife Gardens have been in, giving workshops to the kids and the children will continue to plant and also learn about bugs and insects in the schools own mini-beast areas

Another school I'd like to encourage people to look at if you are thinking about waiting lists is Bessemer Grange - I know two parents who are very happy with the school and I think it's another 'overlooked gem' of a school on our doorstep.

If anyone doesn't get a response in a timely way - the 3 days - please do let me know and I'll try for you.

I've had a number of queries about this years admissions process which I've yet to receive a response - I asked early March. So not a good year for admissions.

Wow I got a reply in 5 minutes, seems like the person answering the emails is more on the ball than those answering the phone today! We're in a good waiting list position I think!

Don't know Jessop at all I'm afraid, but as above drop admissions an email to ask where you are on the other school waiting lists, in the mean time I would give the school a call and ask if you can go and have a look around.