Virgin Media Outage - Northcross Road

Neil.P

Found out today there has been a known problem with Virgin Media broadband in the East Dulwich area since July - assume this includes as far south as Northcross Rd. The 'service status' page is for some reason saying there are no known issues - this issue itself is now being looked into.

Apparently it's a 'signal to noise ratio' problem, basically there is something on the network that is causing interference. So they are switching bits off now and then to test where it might be. Have been having regular downtime including today, for example. The error tracking code is F005469464 and the nice chap on the phone (was really surprised how polite & apologetic he was) said they hope to fix it by Monday 30 October. Let's see though.

Not alternative to Virgin here, as on an Exchange Only (EO) line with BT so only got 2Mbps download with no prospect of a fibre upgrade, apparently inner London is worst in UK for these EO lines. When Virgin works it's giving 54Mbps down / 3Mbps up on a SuperFibre 50 contract even in the evening, which is pretty good. Still find it expensive though.

I am throwing my towel with VM. Been with them 7 years. I now have a hub that is blinking green WiFi and internet constantly, ie, no effing service. ?75 pcm for no service?

I have bailed - we are getting EE B.B. in Mid November. ?41 pcm including a modest TV package and 5gb more phone data for my partner.

Annoyingly before seeing this...I signed up with VM and cancelled Sky after six weeks of no TV service due to their inability to install a dish. The VM salesperson was great, an appointment was booked for the coming Saturday to check installation would be easy - which he said it would be - and another appointment was booked for the subsequent Saturday to install tv and broadband. At 8pm on the night before, the installation was cancelled and now I?ve been told it?ll be 6-8 weeks until it will work as the road needs to be dug up.

Aside from VM selling me a service they must have known they couldn?t fulfill for weeks, which has left me with no supplier, I?m now worried VM has a major issue in SE22. Has anyone else had progress?

Can I just add to the comments on Virgin... a month of little, they call it intermittent, broadband. Now streaks and tv signal breaking down constantly. And they offered a ?10 COMPENSATION then the next day when I called with another problem no credit placed on the account. The service has been awful.

So we have now switched over to Sky and it has made me realise how bad the Virgin internet was in our old home.

I work from home and use a Remote Gateway to access my work - the connection would frequently drop out, which I used to put down to being bog standard connection issues when using that type of gateway. I was wrong - on this network no problems at all.

I am so pleased we bit the bullet and changed provider and the Sky man who came round could not have been more helpful - a totally different experience.

I have spoken to a friend who lives in North london - she has also had an appalling experience with them - slow speeds for 6 months etc, this is clearly a widespread problem which they aren't being up front about.

Oh, and when we complained about their multiple cock ups and lack of connection they offered us ?5 - you can imagine my response to that...

Is anyone currently having issues with Virgin? Have had no broadband connectivity since last Friday and they want to charge me ?70 to cancel the non-existent service.

Thinking of switching to BT, anyone got any experience of them in the area?

I've been reguarly reading these posts about those who have had poor Virgin Media connectivity, grateful that mine has been ok. [i live in Dunstans Road].

However, until yesterday I have had almost 10 days of no broadband, and a broken up tv picture. I started to make a note of calls made to VM and they amount to 25 since the middle of October. I thought that they would be registered and reflected in a decent discount but was told yesterday that, unless I go through the whole procedure of talking to someone each time [a 15-25-40min call], then the 25 x 5-8 min calls that ends after you have inputted your information then noted the current situation AND asked for updated text messages, counts for nothing. The two 'contact' phone calls, I was told, would only result in an discount if I asked and that, it turned out, generated a ?5 and a ?4 reduction. I have spent hours over the last 10 days and experienced a shed load of inconvenience. They said it has been a local issue since August. When my call was escalated to a 'manager' yesterday as I said I was at the end of my tether, the service resumed and has since been uninterrupted.

If this happens again, I am changing suppliers.

• 1 month later...

I recently just gave up on Virgin. Contract finished on 9/12 and I received a jubilant message Fri. Then say I g the service (absent for 6 weeks) was niw back up and running on 10/12.

Utterly rubbish.

I would love to be a virgin media customer - but until they actually provide the very expensive service that they say they do, I am no longer wasting ?75 a month on them.

Now with EE since mid November and all working well so far. Frankly, even if I had an erratic service from them it would be better than VirginMedia.

I recommend you to jump ship if you aren?t tied into to a lengthy contract with penalties.

jimlad48 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We're on the toastrack and have also been having

> intermittent problems due to 'low power' too.

> Seriously thinking about other options now too.

They spin any old yarn to fob us off, I think.

I was told my problem amwas local area one due to signal to noise ratio. And that was apparently sorted for me a day after my contract ended. And yet noise is still one of the culprits.

I smell BS.

We had no internet or phone all Thursday. Was told variously that there wasn't a problem, that there was a local problem which would be fixed by 1)3.15pm 2)7.30pm, eventually back on yesterday morning at 10am, also told that there would be ongoing issues until April 2018 as they were doing general work on the service.

Increasingly I wonder what Virgin has going for it anymore. Their TV menu system is archaic and only allows catch up from the last week with nothing available from BBC until 3+ hours after original broadcast. Their phone lines crackle like fireworks and for about a year now their internet has consistently been 50% of the speed we pay for.

I see friends with their gleaming super duper BT services and wonder if Virgin is operating in the same century. Just waiting for half a day to be free to organise the switch.

We just switched to Sky after 3.5 years with Virgin and crap broadband, landline that never works and incredibly poor customer service. I have also officially requested all records of complaints we logged over the past few years as I want to take this up further. I just don?t think it?s acceptable.

When we ended the contract with 30 days notice, I was then told the direct debit for next month has already been requested so I would simply have to pay it and call them to request a cheque for a refund, which can take up to 30 days to process. It?s just one thing after another!

I've just had Virgin Media contractors turn up (again) to dig up the road. I checked the Street Works website to ensure they had a permit and unsurprisingly for Virgin Media they didn't. They also hadn't organised proper traffic lights and Traffic Management. When I re challenged these contractors showing them the website map and no permit they packed up and left.

Talk about cowboy contractors but also Virgin Media locally for employing them. Councils reaction is I should have let them dig up the road and then reported them! They can only issue a fine when the road is dug up not when someone closes it preparing to dig the road up.

Started showing as an area fault at 8:30ish and service restored to our house at 9:15. Annoyed that I had to waste 20 minutes on the phone doing diagnostics to get a technician booked even though I knew it was an area fault. I?ve raised a complaint for all the good it?ll do.