Family coming to London : what to do

Hi everybody!

My Family ( mum, sisters with their children (3-9 y) is coming for a couple of days to London( they live in Paris)

I was just wondering what I should do or visit to make the most of their time. They are staying for 4 days. And I want to do something different for each of them , each day (mum, kids, sisters).

I know if the weather is good I am planning to have a pic-nic. (hyde park or East dulwich Park )

But I would like to show London to my mum (first time for her). To entertain the kids

Have you got any ideas of what to do,to visit which is not too expensive , for the kids, for my mum , (for my sisters it is sorted as we 'll go on a shopping trip.)

The boat from Greenwich to the Tate Modern is great, and you can also go to the other Tate by boat. Loads to do in Greenwich as well.

When my Mum came for her first visit, we did a big walkaround from Tate Modern, to St Pauls, to Westminster Cathedral, Buckingham Palace etc. (She wanted to see the major sites which are quite accesible on foot) You can also hop on and off that tourist bus which is quite useful for getting around London.

The views from Oxo Tower (southbank) are great.

Regents park beautiful (as Hyde park)

If you go on Timeout website they have great ideas and listings of all the museums; entry times; cost etc which can be quie useful when planning.

Thames Clipper down to Greenwich is a nice river trip, you could then look round Greenwich, have a picnic in the park an get the clipper back.

The Ribs are fun but not everyone's cup of tea and may not be suitable for the younger children.

If the weather is bad (or even good) the Science Museum and Natural History Museum are always a big hit with children - the 'launch pad' at the science museum was always good fun for young children; as were the dinosaurs and the big blue whale at the natural history museum. Last time I went, which was a while ago, both museums were free for both adults and children. They are also both a short walk from each other so you could do both in one day!

If you want to stay local I would suggest looking at the ruins of the Crystal Palace and then going to the small museum. It is very interesting. Check the museum opening times though.

The boat trips on the Thames are always great.