drop in nursery/nanny for freelancers - does this exist?

I have a 6 month old baby boy, and it's flown by! But now he's hit the 6 month mark. I'm starting to think about money! I work freelance and the days I work are no consistent. I want my baby to go to a nursery a couple of days a week, but do not want to commit a certain amount of days on specific days.?

So I was wondering if there is a nanny/nursery that is more like a drop in centre where you pay per day.?

If anyone can help with my search, I would really appreciate it and also how much is a day at a nursery/nanny.

Help????

There is definitely a gap in the market. I too am freelance and the only way I have managed to get work done is by having a nanny help out about four hours a day as and when I need her. I also have another nanny who does full days but is only available twice a week. There are quite a few nannies who have work only a few days a week and have some availability.

It can be expensive but as I they only come when the workload is very bad it balances out. I wish there was a drop in creche/nursery option.

This will exist soon! I am planning on setting up such a business is 6-9 months' time (not much use to those of you who need it now, I appreciate). Just keeping it really small scale, in my own home. I am retraining as a childminder (expecting my own baby in July) and am going to hopefully take on 2-3 children on a permanent part-time basis and the rest of the time I will offer ad hoc care for freelancers' children. Any suggestions for how to make this a success welcome!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ksh - hope your venture is a success. It's obviously something that a lot of people need on an ad-hoc basis.

Just one thing to think about is the paperwork involved with each child. The EYFS is quite time-consuming.

Also, think about the comings and goings with parents throughout the day. You may be confined to the house a lot or have children sleeping and this may wake them. Just a thought!

minder Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ksh - hope your venture is a success. It's

> obviously something that a lot of people need on

> an ad-hoc basis.

YES YES YES!

>

> Just one thing to think about is the paperwork

> involved with each child. The EYFS is quite

> time-consuming.

Unavoidable, but once you're familiar with it maybe not so bad.

>

> Also, think about the comings and goings with

> parents throughout the day. You may be confined

> to the house a lot or have children sleeping and

> this may wake them. Just a thought!

Have set or suggested times for drop off / pick-up? I would be ok with that.

Checkmeout, my husband is self-employed, so we currently juggle childcare and weekend work between us, with an occasional babysitter. It gets to a crush point when we both have unavoidable deadlines and can't find reliable, affordable childcare. Urrghhh. I suspect with the economy the way it is, more and more people are in this position, as both parents are working but not nec full time, and don't need or can't afford full time childcare.