Being driven mad (alarm on underhill Rd)

A piercingly loud alarm in the street on Underhill Road has been keeping me awake for an hour now. The police say it's an 'environmental health' matter and the council noise line says they're busy and will call me back when they're free. I am now sure which one is driving me madder - the sound or the response of the so-called authorities.

It's too loud for ear plugs. Sorry to hear about your daughter - ours was up last night, now this. The noise is almost akin to torture.

I suspect you're over-anxious for sleep. But I hope you get a few blissful hours before morning.

Byongo - it was still going at 8am this morning. I was tempted to attack the bike with a hammer this morning.

My girlfriend has a migraine from lack of sleep and my baby is tired and in a bad mood. Felt terrible going to work and the fact that it seems we are just expected to tolerate this has done nothing for my mood.

I rarely post on the forum, but thought it was worth mentioning that this alarm was loud enough to hear from where I live on Barry Road! It sounds very similar to an alarm which kept going off last year in the same area.

Huggers - yes, that's what I intend to do if I don't destroy it first.

CBL - it was unbelievably loud. Why on earth do alarms have to be so damn loud and long? The police said they would only respond 'if I could see someone running away'. I had already told them the alarm had been blaring for an hour so it was hardly likely.

Hackblade Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Huggers - yes, that's what I intend to do if I

> don't destroy it first.

>

> CBL - it was unbelievably loud. Why on earth do

> alarms have to be so damn loud and long? The

> police said they would only respond 'if I could

> see someone running away'. I had already told them

> the alarm had been blaring for an hour so it was

> hardly likely.

Loud and pointless. If it happens again, tell them you're going to commit a 'breach of the peace'.

If it happens tonight I probably will! That's what's so annoying: we know what the problem is and where it is. We just need someone to disable a faulty alarm but it seems nobody in power will do it and us residents are expected to accept being kept awake ALL NIGHT! Been absolutely knackered today.

I have put a note on the offending bike. If it happens again please call Southwark Council's 24-hour noise line on 0207 525 5777 or the police. Both were spectacularly unhelpful today but the more people that ring, the more likelihood of something being done.

Ian R - interesting link, thanks. I rang the usual Southwark council noise hotline twice and it was a waste of time. The first time they said they were busy; the second time they took my details and promised to call back within 30 minutes and sort the problem within an hour and I never heard from them again.

I presume they deal with car alarms.

It's been going off again for 30 minutes again tonight... and went off briefly the other night. Council are apparently on their way... I kind of hope it doesn't stop before they get here otherwise they might say they can't do anything.