EDOliver

mockney piers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> When missus mockers was up the duff and allowed 1

> glass of wine a week, she made me take her to the

> poshest places in town and positively insisted

> that the glass be expensive as possible, never

> less than 10 or 15 quid a pop!!

You will be relieved to know Mockers that this only happens on the 1st pregnancy. On subsequent pregnancies you would need a babysitter and ?35 for a glass of wine/babysitter combo is too much for most people.

Best just to say you are popping out for a pint of milk next time round.

Loz Wrote:

> Jah Lush Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Get real it's one particular brand of lager

> > (Staropramen) they are selling in there at that

> > price. They also do Stella, Fosters and

> Carling.

> > All cheaper.

>

> Maybe, but only one the alternatives qualifies as

> drinkable.

I concur.

Mick Mac Wrote:

> Best just to say you are popping out for a pint of

> milk next time round.

Not if its ?4.10 a pint though...

PS I doubt that the CPT prices are too disimilar to anywhere else, I can remember Staropramen costing about ?3.90 in another ED pub over a year ago when I first moved here so it may have increased by now. I'd still rather go to the CPT :)-D

I know that breweries hike prices up but in return they give free servicing and parts of the chillers pumps and will replace and update pumps and beer line equipment as part of that service (so that's kind of what it buys the landlord...whether it's a fair trade off or not).

Also there are disparities of cost on barrels of beer because basically the bigger a brewery is the higher the level of duty they have to pay - so a small independent brewery can sell a barrel of beer for as little as ?65 whereas the average larger sized brewery has to charge ?120 - ?150 per barrel (on an average popular larger) and imported beer tends to be the higher end of the scale for obvious reasons.

Most pubs seem to manage perfectly well with prices ranging between ?3.30 - ?3.80 per pint at present. Of course you have to get customers in (and make a big enough profit) and that becomes about decor, staffing etc as well but that three pound range seems adaquate for most decent pubs to do that in this area.

And on Staropramen itself, the wholesale price is around ?1.50 per pint :)

"I know that breweries hike prices"

clearly you don't because it's not breweries.

The links between the breweries and pubs were broken by the legislation that gave us the pubcos who produce precisely nothing.

The breweries can't hike prices to independents because they'll go elsewhere, it's called competition.

If the breweries are offering these services to pubcos (and they will because their purchasing power means the breweries need to offer sweeteners) the savings go to the pubcos and their shareholders, and won't be passed on to the landlords, or indeed the customer (except insofar as the landlord sells beer as a loss leader in order to get custom in and hopefully buy enough food to keep his pub ticking over).

And by most pubs do you mean the several thousand which have shut down, or indeed the landlords who are bankrupted by the business model, and the lease sold on to another poor mug.

The George Canning is on to it's 3rd tenant in almost as many months. It breaks my heart every time I meet a new one as I know their life's savings will be gone faster than you can say 'it's lovely to meet you, but let's not get too pally eh'.

I can only guess you didn't read a word of the linked article. It's worth a read, you might learn something as opposed to assume you know everything (and given your grasp on history and geology I'd definitely not recommend that assumption ;-) ).

I run a bar MP so know more than you think and the pubs that close are the ones that don't get enough customers through the door and their pricing right (and the reasons for that are various).

Just on the Pubco thing (I am aware of this)...they are not the only option for entering the pub/ bar industry. Anyone doing their research proerly would see that they are not a good deal and look for other alternatives to opening/ managing a pub or bar.

EDOliver - next time you pop out for a cheeky beer, go a bit further away from ED* to Bar Story in Peckham. It does Staropramen for ?3.50. (Also does interesting locally brewed beers too!)

* say that everywhere you looked ran out of milk; and we clearly need a Waitrose etc :))

"Anyone doing their research proerly would see that they are not a good deal and look for other alternatives to opening/ managing a pub or bar"

I quite agree, from what I can tell those that do go for it seem to treat the idea as a romantic one, and it's that naivety that kills them.

*Bob* Wrote:

> DJKillaQueen Wrote:

> -----

> > I run a bar MP ..

>

> Good lord.. is there no end to your specific areas

> of expertise?!

Exactly what I was thinking your *Bobness*. I could have sworn Killa has mentioned in the past that she worked in the health industry and a more recent hint of working in television. Is there no end to your talents DJKillaQueen?

I have never said I work in the health industry! Where did that come from?????

I'm not going to disclose what my job is becauze it's no-ones business but I do look after a bar as a side interest with one other as well which does not require me to be there every hour of every day...perfectly possible to do.

rifleman harris Wrote:

> Mick said: I don't mind the ?4, its the 10p that

> kills me. This means 90p of heavy change. After 10

> pints and ?9 worth of heavy change, I can barely

> get myself home

>

> Mick: thats ?9 to go towards your kebab with

> chilli sauce innit?>:D<

They don't understand me at that time of night in the kebab shop. in fact I only get pint number 7 8,9,10

because it says stau.....on my glass.

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

> It takes how long to write a post? duh....hardly

> distracts anyone from their work now does it?

>

> (although how someone that only joined the forum

> just over a month ago could know anything about

> anyone in that time is a bit bewildering - second

> account perhaps?)

Alternatively could 'Anotherperson' have been reading along merrily for months and only NOW have been distracted enough from their work to join in?? Duh!

Sorry - pithy and off topic.

flapjackdavey Wrote:

> ?4 a pint in the Herne the other night. :'(

>

>

> mind you we were watching steve "boltz" bolton

> play so, you know.... a good time was had by all

> :)-D:))

xxxxxx

Bloody hell, was it really ?4 a pint?

Must have been strong stuff if I didn't notice :))

That's the last time I'm sending you to the bar cos I can't be arsed to leave my seat :)

:)-D

HonaloochieB Wrote:

> *Bob* Wrote:

> -----

> > Maybe if you're my Grandad who spent six and a

> > half days a week hiding from his wife down the

> > pub. >

>

> Bloody Sunday opening hours.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

:))

Was,nt the CPT, the pub that wanted to erect a mobile mast in their back yard that upset all the local community,because the mast was turned down from the Townley road wannabees.so they thought the east Dulwich people

should have it.

So I guess the mast isnt in the tavern thats why they are putting prices up.

No wonder the pubs are sinking.