That French place near the Plough

Nero

What's it like? It just seems a bit, well, odd. I think it looks attractive in a faintly "League of Gentlemen" way. Let me know if you've been. Is it a local French bistro for local people? I like to think of the old lady from the old dressmaker's next to the butcher's shop tottering off down there once in a blue moon for a bowl of onion soup and a glass of vin rouge. Mind you, I like to think of lots of things.....

Nero

My uncle who recently died used to venture into Le Moulin quite a bit, and in all honesty it isnt the prettiest of places from the outside, however the customer service is second to non from the guy who owns the place, and the food is asbolutely gorgeous! All homemade recipes mostly from the north west region of France, but top quality ingredients and a real hidden gem on the Plough end of Lordship Lane.. (dont be put off by the exterior, it is very clean inside and reminds me of a small cafe I once went to in Montpellier, very "1940's occupied France" is a good description)..

We have been using this restaurant for many many years and the food is excellent, Eric and Margaret are very nice people and inside it feels like a real restaurant.

There is a lot of choice with many fish dishes can really recommend it

We live just around the corner from Le Moulin restaurant and often wonder about it. The menu on the pedestal at the front can't usually be read due to condensation.

Maybe we'll try it now, given the glowing reviews.

Have to say, it does look a bit odd though - as if in a time warp - but then many of the shops around there are a little idiosyncratic.

• 6 years later...

No and no.

Ate there about three years ago and was good. Ate there a year ago not so good. Prawns in tempura batter were definitely Iceland rather than homemade but their fish and meat is good and sauces are good too. Very dated though, so my wife won't go back. Maybe suits a certain age group, even older than me.

So very sad. Another old school ED institution going forever. I hope both Eric and Margaret enjoy their well earned retirement, I may be joining you soon and moving away from this area if it becomes anymore poncey!

RIP Le Moulin, RIP East Dulwich, Hello Clapham.

Louisa.

Eric and Margaret were quite unique in this day and age in the sense that they had a regular customer base and genuinely enjoyed what they did. They never felt the need to update or change too much, and that was the secret to their longevity IMO.

stacey-lyn I've not been to Clacton in years, what's it like these days? Regular visitor are you? :)

Louisa.

bob Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Le Moulin near the Plough LL best kept secret

> looks a bit funny from the out side but good food

> and service lots of choice and friendly service

> dont all rush there or I wont be able to get in.

They didn't.

bob Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Le Moulin near the Plough .....

> looks a bit funny from the outside .....

xxxxxx

You win the Forum prize for understatement of the year :)