> The point I was making was that Kingsdale seems to

> be attracting some criticism for being (a) an

> academy and (b) hosting a visit by the Prime

> Minister. The implication is that it is either

> supportive of Government policy or has been

> somehow duped.

>

> I was poking at all the self righteous and

> hypocritical indignation on this thread.

>

> One of our local schools is outstanding and has

> been visited because it's an example of what the

> current Government wants for all schools. The

> leadership of Kingsdale will have taken the visit

> as a validation of their success, and so should

> we.

I get that Nom de Plume, but as someone with a child at a school nearby that isn't Kingsdale, Id still like to know which "less successful" schools you meant. As far as I can see the schools near to Kingsdale are actually all much more successful academically. So I'm very puzzled - could you tell me which ones you were thinking of please?

Nom de plume:

For what it's worth there is much to be criticised in the Coalition's education policy, not least the changes to teacher training, but removing schools from LEA control and giving them more autonomy isn't one of them.

Otta:Disagree with that, I think that is pretty much the worst part of it.

I totally agree, removing schools from LEA control is awful. As if these 'fat cats' need any more power.

sillywoman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I get that Nom de Plume, but as someone with a

> child at a school nearby that isn't Kingsdale, Id

> still like to know which "less successful" schools

> you meant. As far as I can see the schools near to

> Kingsdale are actually all much more successful

> academically. So I'm very puzzled - could you tell

> me which ones you were thinking of please?

My comment was made in ignorance of the actual academic and other records of the neighbouring schools, so if you feel that I've slighted your child's school then I apologise. The comment was based on anecdotal evidence that Kingsdale is the school everyone seems to be trying to get their children into, and therefore by that measure could be deemed as 'successful'.

ajade Wrote:

> Otta:Disagree with that, I think that is pretty

> much the worst part of it.

>

> I totally agree, removing schools from LEA control

> is awful. As if these 'fat cats' need any more

> power.

You're conflating two issues assuming that by "fat cat" you mean the businesses who fund academies:

1. the extent that the LEA should have control over individual schools. On a principle point of view I'm very much of the opinion that schools should be run by a governing body of teachers, parents and community representatives and as far as is possible should have autonomy over its affairs. From a practical and personal experience Southwark's LEA is composed of pockets of front line excellence (child psychology, training to name but two) overlaid with bureaucratic and leadership incompetence. Southwark administered schools can't even set their budgets for 2010/11 as the authority hasn't done the work necessary for them to have funding certainty. So I'd say that the less control the local authority has over a school the better it can respond and adapt to the needs of its children and community.

2. the use of private money and influence in schools. Much harder argument. As long as the sponsor doesn't have a dominant voice in the academy's affairs then there shouldn't be an issue especially if it increases diversity of choice and brings expertise into the school. Where it becomes more problematic is when the sponsor's influence on the governing body influences the provision and curriculum; and when large chains of single provider schools (ie: Harris) are created.

If you think loosening LEA control over schools is the worst part, then you haven't read the provisions on teacher training, which are mad.

Lightening the debate for just a few seconds, my child came back with a bright orange hand after she had shook hands with The Cameron, " he looked like he'd been tango'd Mum".

I was phoned by the school and asked if I gave permission for my child to be photographed, so they obviously knew he was coming, BUT,

I reckon he was in the area, and Kingsdale has a great area to film in!

Job done!

Dulwich_ Park_ Fairy Wrote:

> Had really useful discussions about admissions and

> I suggested some changes that they were clearly

> partly already thinking about. I also suggested

> the chair a cross political party potential way to

> hel pthe scholl serve Southwark even better.

>

> How can they do that? Due to the location of the

> school any introduction of a catchment area would

> benefit Lewisham, Croydon, Bromley, and Lambeth

> more than Southwark.

Um Dulwich-Park-Fairy I don't see any reference to an introduction in the councillor's remarks. Perhaps this suggests that you were, in fact, party to those discussions and makes one imagine that you are in fact part of the Kingsdale management team. This is only made more obvious by your previous and subsequent comments regarding school management and Southwark council.

I suggest a deputy head.

Um Dulwich-Park-Fairy I don't see any reference to an introduction in the councillor's remarks. Perhaps this suggests that you were, in fact, party to those discussions and makes one imagine that you are in fact part of the Kingsdale management team. This is only made more obvious by your previous and subsequent comments regarding school management and Southwark council.

I suggest a deputy head.

What comments about school management and southwark council? And for the record I am most certainly not the Deputy Head of Kingsdale School, what I am is a parent who has children at both Kingsdale and Goodrich School. My question (and it was only a question) was regarding the comment about how the School can better serve Southwark which, as I thought I explained, is incredibly difficult under the admission criteria given to local schools. Look at where it is on a map of the borough. Moron.

I think this thread is hilarious. It seems that whatever Kingsdale does to provide new experiences for their pupils cannot pass without being heavily criticised by the green-eyed monsters of EDF.

mrs scoop, my son came back from school that day and, as he washed his hands at the kitchen sink, told us about the visit and how he had shaken hands with the prime minister. Quick as a flash our babysitter asked, "Is that why you are washing your hands then?" Made me laugh.

Alec John Moore Wrote:

> mrs scoop, my son came back from school that day

> and, as he washed his hands at the kitchen sink,

> told us about the visit and how he had shaken

> hands with the prime minister. Quick as a flash

> our babysitter asked, "Is that why you are washing

> your hands then?" Made me laugh.

Lol!!!