what's for dinner tonight?

mattham

We're trying to eat less red meat also, so fish and chicken is main thing.

PASTA TUNA THING

This evening found a recipe in an old Dairy Diary Recipe Book and here it is with my additions. Drink some gin and tonic. Then - fry an onion - pour half pint of veg stock in and enough peas and/or sweetcorn for 4 people in the pan, have another swig of gin and some chocolate maybe, then bung a tablespoon of cornflour mixed with half pint of milk and bung it all in the same pan with a small can of drained tuna. Drink gin. Heat and Stir the whole lot well till thick and creamy. Then bung in the now cooked pasta which you had put on at the beginning of the exercise to cook for 10 or so minutes. Stir the whole lot and it makes enough for about 3 or four, top with grated cheese. I thank you. Hic.

I've had lots of celeriac mash, which is nice. No idea how to make it though, but this off the beeb

Simmer the potatoes and celeriac in a large pan of boiling salted water for about 12 minutes until tender. Drain and return to the pan, covered, to dry them out.

n a small pan, gently heat the milk, add the onions and cook until softened. Mash the potatoes and celeriac with the milk and onions. Season to taste.

This one made me laugh From the Axis of Evil extract.

Tongue of the judge

This recipe doesn't really involve a judge's tongue. That would be disgusting and illegal.

2 large aubergines

450g minced lamb or beef

2 onions

2 tomatoes, chopped

3 tablespoons tomato puree

1 teaspoon turmeric

First make the sauce: saute one chopped onion, add the tomatoes, tomato puree and turmeric. Add a mugful of water, then season and simmer for 20 minutes or so. Remove the stalks and bottoms from the aubergines and then cut them lengthwise into slices about a quarter of an inch thick. Fry the slices quickly in hot oil so they are browned but not too soggy.

Set them aside and make the stuffing by mixing the minced meat and the other chopped onion. Season and form into little sausages. Roll each of the sausages up in an aubergine slice and lay on a baking dish. Pour the tomato sauce over the top and put the dish in a medium hot oven for 40 minutes.

• 5 weeks later...