> Well, I am speaking from my own experience-

> Grammar school kid made good from a very poor

> background in Newham. Then 25 years teaching in

> various south London comps...

> This country, as a whole, has severely suffered

> from a lack of REAL academic education- the truth

> of which is borne out by the way we have plundered

> clever skilled people from very poor countries

So you think the system's wrong and doesn't offer bright kids the opportunities you had...but you continue to work in it. Nice to see the principles...I wonder how good an education kids receive from someone who doesn't believe in the system...

rendelharris Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> uncleglen Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > DuncanW Wrote:

> >

> --------------------------------------------------

>

> > -----

> > > uncleglen Wrote:

> > > ***...especially

> > > > since Labour got rid of grammars - thereby

> > > > depriving all poor bright kids of a decent

> > > > education.***

> > >

> > > The abolition of grammars does not deprive

> all

> > > poor kids of a decent education. Quite the

> > > opposite is true.

> > Well, I am speaking from my own experience-

> > Grammar school kid made good from a very poor

> > background in Newham. Then 25 years teaching in

> > various south London comps...

> > This country, as a whole, has severely suffered

> > from a lack of REAL academic education- the

> truth

> > of which is borne out by the way we have

> plundered

> > clever skilled people from very poor countries

>

> So you think the system's wrong and doesn't offer

> bright kids the opportunities you had...but you

> continue to work in it. Nice to see the

> principles...I wonder how good an education kids

> receive from someone who doesn't believe in the

> system...

RH, I'm interested in your apparent contempt for anyone who thinks the system is wrong but continues to work in it - does that apply across the board, or just to one person on this forum for the purposes of your personal insult?

If all the numerous dedicated teachers who think the school system is underfunded, and/or that the curriculum concentrates too much on box ticking and point scoring were to stop teaching in the 'system' many schools would have to close wouldn't they? Or is it ok for those other teachers who think the system's wrong to carry on working within it? Just wondering.

robbin Wrote:

> If all the numerous dedicated teachers who think

> the school system is underfunded, and/or that the

> curriculum concentrates too much on box ticking

> and point scoring were to stop teaching in the

> 'system' many schools would have to close wouldn't

> they? Or is it ok for those other teachers who

> think the system's wrong to carry on working

> within it? Just wondering.

Those are facets of the system which most teachers would agree need changing, and indeed they continually lobby and take industrial action to try and effect change. That's different to thinking the whole system is wrong; in very long experience of both teaching and talking to other teachers online, uncleglen is the only person I've ever encountered working in comprehensive schools who believes that it is a system which "deprives poor bright kids of a decent education." If someone believes that is the case and continues to work in the system I'd say they are a shocking hypocrite, wanting to change parts of the system to make it better and believing that the whole system is rotten are entirely different things.

Applying your logic to the legal system, any lawyer that thinks we should have a civil law system (like in most of Europe) as opposed to a common law system should cease working in the 'wrong' system?

What about all the prison officers employed in private prisons who think the running of prisons should not be privatised? Should they stop working in their chosen career? What about people working in knackered old state run prisons who think that the private run system would be better?

robbin Wrote:

> That may be the lamest, most contrived excuse for

> a gratuitously rude post that I've seen so far

> this year - and it's nearly the end of November!

As I've previously pointed out to you, if you want to see real rudeness go back in your history and look at when you and others were bullying Louisa extremely unpleasantly last year.

Oh and don't bother asking questions when you're not interested in a rational and sensible answer but just want an excuse to have a go. I know you got all upset because you were caught out lying about me not long ago, but it's time to let your humiliation go and move on. You'll feel ever so much better for it.

lol. So no rational answer then!

At my old school we had one or two teachers who thought they were special and who could never (ever) be wrong about anything! I think teaching standards have improved greatly since the 70s though and those teachers are retired and probably now confined to sniping on internet forums or shouting at their pets. Their old reactionary style of 'communication' and their approach of 'it's right because I say it's right' thankfully is not so prevalent in more recent generations of teachers who are still teaching.

Apparently the school is quite innovative - they have class sizes of about 30 each organised into ?year? groups from the reception class onwards. The classes are led by teachers assisted by teaching assistants, with different lessons across the day, with regular break periods incorporated. It all sounds quite good to me, so if you can afford it I think you should consider it as a possibility.