Mother Goose Nursery on Upland Road, any thoughts?

Hi there

I have just been to visit Mother Goose Nursery on Upland Road. Before i visited i had done quite a bit of research into nurseries and Mother Goose had a few great recommendations. It was definitely not what i was expecting.

Has anyone got any thoughts/views/experience with Mother Goose? It was my first nursery visit, so i am using it as a benchmark.

It would be good to know what the general consensus is.

Thanks

x

Oh dear - that doesn't sound too promising. Our girls are at Mother Goose at Greendale - which is really lovely! They (all three nurseries) are owned by the same family, who are pretty hot on the administration, management and profile development of the nurseries.

The facilities at Greendale are the best I've seen - organic veg/fruit patch (which they cook meals from), pets, a race track and plenty of trips and events. It's not squeaky clean brand new, is more lived in than that. But I've never had cause to question their hygiene or care for the children.

Hope it helps - I'm sorry I don't have direct experience of the Upland Road one.

It could be that you're just not used to nurseries! I cried all night the first time I went to visit one. Less than a year later, I happily sent my daughter there. And they looked after her brilliantly.

Now I did visit mother goose on upland road. Thought downstairs was great compared to other nurseries I saw but did not like the baby room which I thought was very bare, not very stimulating. Manager agreed with me and said transforming the room was his next priority after the garden. And considering what an amazing job he did with the garden, I think the baby room could become fab.

That said, try Asquith Peckham rye. That's where my daughter is now and I have only good things to say about it.

I'm really not a snob, but thought the downstairs room resembled a student squat, the 'reading area' had about 4 manky old books hanging off a metal boom rack under a old piece of fabric, which was dangling from somewhere. I was in shock to see that the childrens sleep time was crashing out on a thin manky cushions. The tooth brush pots ( which each child has) were also disgusting, each toothbrush practically touching the next. Do you know how much bacteria tooth brushes spread!???

I cannot believe this is a sort after nursery!!!!!

There was a little girl around 4 drinking the dirty water out of the filthy water area in the garden! There are clearly not enough staff and the house needs to be fumigated! Very very shocked!

My daughters have been going here for last year. Yes, it is not as bright and shiny as some nurseries, but I have found the staff to be caring and activities well planned and stimulating.

Despite your concerns about cleanliness, to date they have not contracted any terrible diseases.

My child attended this nursery 18 months ago, the majority of staff were lovely, though

the premises were a bit neglected. However at the time we left, quite a bit of refurbishment

was taking place and I thought the place was improving. Just my opinion, but I believe

that group daycare isn't ideal for small children, ie under 3s, and this Upland Road branch seemed

better suited to pre-schoolers.

We were always very happy with Upland Road Mother Goose. The staff were lovely and caring, the children had the opportunity to garden, bake bread, learn french. But I think I may have different priorities to you. We lived in a flat at the time, so I positively sought out a nusery where my children would have the opportunity to get grubby in a garden and drink muddy water. Similarly I never had a problem with the toothbrush issue. I don't think there are many bacteria that a child doesn't have the opportunity to pick up through normal childish behaviour, so it wouldn't cross my mind that rigidly separated toothbrushes should be a priority for a nursery.

So yes, if you want your child to be in prisine, anti-bacterial surroundings then Mother Goose must come as a bit of a shock, but I don't think the vast majority of us do worry about such things, and that is why it has a waiting list.

I would be very interested to hear how most nurseries deal with nap time though, if not with mats on the floor? Do some provide beds for every child?

I would be very interested to hear how most nurseries deal with nap time though, if not with mats on the floor? Do some provide beds for every child?

I always thought it was mats, too. My son was in a creche for a bit from 9-11 months, and he was in a cot for naptimes, but the moment he became a walker, he was on a mat, which he was more than happy with (slept for 2 hours, cheeky baby). He now tries to nap by pulling blankets onto his bedroom floor and flinging himself ontop of them.

I also remember napping on a foam mat with small pillow and 'my' blanket, as did my siblings when they went to the same kindergarten.

Hi - my little one was at Mother Goose on Upland Road and loved it - starting in the baby room. We always found it to be a caring environment and they go out of their way to do fantastic things with the kids...trips out for the older ones, baking, celebrating every event in the calendar. I was worried about the mats too and asked initially if I could provide a travel cot. They persuaded me to try the mats and they were a surprising success and we never had a problem with naps there.

I know what you mean about it being rough around the edges but I can't fault the care, the well balanced food and the friendly feel of the place - and that matters a whole lot more. I think you'll find that your child will pick up all kinds of bugs when they start nursery anyway regardless of whether the toothbrushes touch.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

hay hay Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> mother goose uppland road is the best mother goose

> to send your child to.green dale mother goose is

> all show and very come and go when it comes to

> the staff

Sorry but I completely disagree (not that upland isn't a good nursery - I wouldn't know from personal experience), but the staff turnover at Greendale is very small - my daughter goes there and has very consistent and excellent care, think your comments, certainly in the recent past, are unfounded.

To comment on my own perception of Mother Goose on Upland Road, I have to say I agree with checkmeout. Out of 6 nurseries I viewed, it was the only one I did not get my daughter on the waitlist for, pretty much for similar reasons.

The manager was lovely but the nursery looked like it desperately needed some TLC - books & toys were really old and "manky", and the whole place just looked like it needed a good scrub.

Again, I can only comment on my views on the nursery, based on one visit. My advice is to trust your instinct and visit a few nurseries so you can compare. I just didn't feel it was right for me. My daughter is on the waitlist for the Waveney Avenue one and I've heard good things about the Greendale one which I intend to visit sometime soon.

Best wishes,

BC

I too agree with checkmeout. I also visited recently and left feeling very depressed. I am definitely not an over precious mother either but I would not want to send my son there. I am sure that the staff are great and that the activities, the care given etc is good, if that's what other peoples experience is, but the place looks like it needs a very deep clean.

I know kids make a mess, but I just couldn't shake the feeling that I wouldn't want my toddler crawling around in there, it did seem dirty and very unloved. The upstairs room was very uninspiring too and I'd be upset to imagine my baby spending a long time in there.

One other small thing - the kids upstairs were having their snack of 'cut up fruit' and they all had a couple of bits of apple on a plate. It didn't look very exciting, I'd have been happier to have seen a few different colours on the plates.

It's bad enough if you have to leave your small child in any nursery for eight hours a day or so - there is nothing at all wrong with wanting it to be somewhere that looks a bit more like it gets a thorough clean every night.

I guess it may also reflect your own memories of school/nursery. I went to a primary school i adored that had a similar lived-in feel and for that reason i really liked uplands mothergoose when i visited. To me it just felt like a place where kids make a mess everyday - which i guess is what i am kind of looking for. The kids seemed really comfortable and happy and it felt cosy and homely. Plus i liked the fact it was in a house with a similar lay out to mine. But clearly to each his own! Sounds like its not for everyone and fortunately there are other options to go for if it isnt for you! Such a hard thing contemplating leaving your little one somewhere it definitely has to feel right!

There is a big difference in my view between "clean" dirt like temporary mud and a nursery needing a deep clean. The former is fun, the latter disgusting and arguably the sort of impression that should be communicated to ofsted.

As regards toothbrushes touching, that is clearly unacceptable. There are various blood borne diseases that could be passed on in this way. Ugh.

Their greendale branch just got an outstanding from ofsted so I'm inclined to think they know what they're doing.

My boy loves it and so far he seems blood borne disease free.

Sheesh, and they say our generation are over protective, wherever do they get that impression from?!?!

mockney piers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Their greendale branch just got an outstanding

> from ofsted so I'm inclined to think they know

> what they're doing.

> My boy loves it and so far he seems blood borne

> disease free.

> Sheesh, and they say our generation are over

> protective, wherever do they get that impression

> from?!?!

:))

That is so true. Ofsted see what u They want to see and they don't dig deep.

There is so much that goes on that ofsted don't know about. I can say this because I see it first hand.

Never trust a reputation.

All tho mothergoose upland road is not so good on the eye but perfect for love attention and all those things

That your child would receive at home. The care and attention is what makes the children who they are.

I would recommend this nursery for all ages :-)

Yes I agree there's 2 types of dirt! The temporary and the ingrained filth! This is not being over protective this is just having hygiene standards ( which clearly some of you don't )

Yes i want my child to have fun and caring attention. But I'm pretty sure he can have that without rollin around on filthy carpet! Have you seen the kitchen at Mother Goose, Uplands??? I'd prefer to cook on a camping stove in the garden.

Oh and the love and care did not look so evident by the way each Childs progress folder ( a minging old ring binder ) was chucked in the corner oh the room. Where is the care and love when looking after their reports???

tbh I'd rather the care and attention was focussed on my child and not a ring binder, but my standards are clearly misguided and apparently below par ;-P

I'm sure you'll find something that suits you, and I'd suggest you focus your energies on finding that rather than badmouthing this one.

Cluttered house = cluttered mind

I'd rather my child be in a nice stress free space. And TBH I cannot believe staff can be happy work in such a dirty environment. And if they are they can't the highest of standards either.

I'm going to get on the phone to that Maggie woman - How clean is your home, let's see what she has to say.