Sydenham High - new head. Any feedback on the school?

Mischa

Hi there, I've heard some - mainly good - things about Sydenham High, which has a relatively new head. Are there any parents on here who are happy to share their thoughts on the school and how it is evolving under a new head if it is changing at all? I'm interested in it for my daughter.

Many thanks for this in advance

Daughter started year 7 in September and loves it. We chose it because it's strong academically but didn't feel like an exam factory, we thought the pastoral care would be great (it is) and, more than anything else, she really wanted to go there. I wouldn't say sports are their strong point, and the school doesn't have a pool. (But ours is a club swimmer and trains 6 x per week - so that didn't matter to us). They made a big deal about single sex ed benefiting girls. For every paper supporting this, there seems to be another contradicting it. What they do make great use of is the alumni network (across all of GDST). So early days for us, but so far very pleased we chose it, and she is extremely happy - as I say, she loves it.

They do several taster sessions for the girls who've applied - so worth doing those if you're seriously thinking of Syd.

Hi Mischa I don't think you would go wrong with Sydenham High: very committed staff, great environment. We actively went down the single sex route for our older daughter (no brothers) and it really worked out for her. The girls emerge from Sydenham High School confident, rounded and happy and the school really encourages the pupils to pursue what they really want to do post-school. My older daughter went there for Secondary School and is now in her second year at Med School. We'll be choosing Sydenham High for our other daughter for Secondary (if she's accepted). We've met and been impressed with the new Head and her approach. As others have said here they are tapped into the GDST network which is useful, and the School do taster days which might help you and your daughter make up your minds.