Five Cute Kittens in Colwell Road

Muttley

"The trouble with a kitten's that

One day it turns into a cat" (Ogden Nash)

For years there have been stray cats in the land enclosed by Colwell Road and Lordship Lane. For a while, they were producing litters of kittens every year, then all the cats were spayed (or so we thought). But now five more kittens have arrived. All very cute, but unless they are dealt with, the cat problem will escalate.

Why do I call it a problem?

1.There are already five or six strays living around the gardens, and they cr*p indiscriminately across the area, often not burying the evidence, bad news for those with young children. Cat-lovers rarely think about the misery these animals can cause for catless neighbours.

2.They chase (and catch) birds. The robins and other birds that used to nest around here all seem to have disappeared. I regard that as a mini-tragedy.

3. The cats depend on residents to feed them, at times they look very hungry.

If anyone would like a kitten, or is able to help remove the kittens and spay the mother responsible, your help gratefully received.

The kittens are black and cute, but be warned, they will turn into cats one day.

You could also try Battersea Dogs and Cats home. I work with the cats and kittens there as a volunteer so I can speak from first hand experience that they will be well cared for and found good homes. You are right to point out that it's not the best place for cats to be and they will cause problems for the other cats and wildlife around and they will keep breeding!!

You can call Battersea on 020 7627 9218, alternatively do PM me if you would like any help sorting. Thanks Lucy

Kittens and mother(black and white) were last spotted on Friday, having been around all week. I suppose it's possible they were "dealt with" over the weekend. There are no open alleys, so it is unlikely that they've moved area unless they were allowed through a house. If there are any new sightings I'll update this thread.

Seeing the kittens "sightings" is one thing but doing something about the cats is another. It would be helpful to be allowed access to the ground where the kittens are on otherwise left to themselves they will indeed become a problem. Perhaps the RSPCA will be interested in your posting as having kittens " dealt with" does not imply a healthy outcome for them.

• 2 weeks later...
Breton - black kitten spotted alone on the roof of a shed in the back garden of 172 Lordship Lane at 11.30 today. Didn't see mother or any other kittens so it's not clear if this is one of the stray litter or is unrelated and has a home. Several b&w cats (mainly white)seem to cluster around the gardens of 162/164 Lordship, so it might be that the mother and kittens hangs out there.