Music Festival in Peckham Rye Park next May - Deadline for views Dec 22

Lollipop

Live music venues are disappearing at an alarming rate all over London so it is important to support these sort of ventures if you can. I'm sure the Rye can cope without any problems - it shakes off the aftermath of the circus with no real problems.

VerryBerry Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Dulwich park is a far better location

> if there is to be no parking as it's an already

> enclosed space and accessible via public

> transport.

Really? I think Peckham Rye park is much better served. Peckham Rye station is a bit of a stroll away, but there are 3-4 different routes running through it. Dulwich Park is not great for transport. And I think it's only a one day event, not a two day. I don't really understand your objection... is it mainly damage to the park which worries you?

Blah Blah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We've never heard of any of the acts performing,

> so have no idea what kind of music it is.

I had to look up the acts from last year, it appears to be DJs and electronic stuff, so not really what I think of as "live music" but I'm sure there's an audience for it amongst local middle-aged ex-clubbers and what have you.

• 1 month later...

Looking at the plans, this is on the Rye, not in the park, so something a bit bigger and better managed than the old Irish Festival.

I ran the little Aquarius Festival for 8 years, which was never hugely supported by the local community. But something with a few bucks behind it may make for an entertaining day or two out.

Best of luck. But it looks like the Rye will be totally closed off for 5 or 6 days. Not sure is that will be so popular...

As far as numbers are concerned, we used to get around 800+ adults on the golf course on a good festival day, and the place looked deserted. The Festival stage was about 100 metres from the entry gate, on the 1st fairway.

Sadly Thames Water shut the event down permanently a couple of years ago, but we were well supported by Southwark Council and local business sponsorship.

If this event has this many planned attendees, there will have to be a force of Marshalls plus security, plus first aid, plus suitably secure containment/fencing.

I reckon the 11.00 close down will be way too late for local residents - especially if the main performance base is DJ, not live bands.

At Aquarius Fest the outdoor stage closed at 9.00, then continued indoors with amazing live jazz and rock until past 11.00. All day live music, all inclusive, and all for just ?3 per adult. Great times.

I wish people wouldn't keep saying that this event is going to be on the common - it is going to be in the Park - setting a precedent. The first post in this thread gives the site map, which is of the fields in Peckham Rye Park opposite Harris Boys school. All day events until 11pm with very loud,amplified music.

In this week's Southwark News, the council state they have sought and been granted permission to use the park in this way but the council have been unable to prove this - the licence they quoted as proof was only for the common. At tomorrow's Licensing Committee, the council are not allowing objectors to query the choice of siting the event in the park.