New Controlled Parking Zone - north of E.Duwlich train tracks

I have always found at these consultations that if there are only 3 people there and it goes 2 for and 1 against it gets carried as a majority.

If only one person turns up to object who knows.

The Southwark plan.

Providing of course you are informed of the meetings.

I will be there but I doubt not many others will be. If 98 properties where contacted and only 14 replies that says it all.

Game set and match to Southwark

Toastrack got all day because the offer was for either 2hr parking or all day, and more people voted for all day than 2 hour parking. No conspiracy there!

Generally southwark estimate a CPZ sees a 60% decrease in traffic, so you really have nothing to worry about. We were astounded at how overnight we went from a really really busy area to peace and quiet - it was astonishing how many long parked cars just vanished and haven't been seen again.

People will not park somewhere if they know they have to move the car at 1100 as there is nowhere else for them to go. You really are worrying about nothing - its going to get massively quieter very quickly, please believe me on this.

Having lived in Herne Hill before the noon-2pm was imposed, makes a huge difference as people can now park in the street at any time of the day. Clearly car commenters who just parked when it was free and then hopped on train had to go or find alternatives.

Think it was greT and would gladly pay to have it in various streets in ED - HH being in Lamveth think the charge imposed was higher that central London - totally unfair but that is Lambeth for you

Parking on Chadwick Road is currently a total nightmare - impossible to find a space all day every week day. Fine for those who can walk 25 mins home from where they parked but terrible for anyone with kids or mobility problems. It?s been bad for a while but has been made 100% worse by the implementation of other CPZs. A majority of parkers are commuters heading to Peck Rye station, and people working at Kings (they usually park further west up into Grove Park, which is a traffic war zone most mornings).

The new CPZ can?t come in soon enough.

I have to agree with Spider69 that if all other roads in the area are all day CPZ's then Chadwick Road should also be all day.

As a resident I do not want anything else. I want it to start at 0830 and end at 1830. Resident parking all day.

64% of residents voted for an all day CPZ why are Southwark not taking notice?

As jimlad48 pointed out

"Toastrack got all day because the offer was for either 2hr parking or all day, and more people voted for all day than 2 hour parking. No conspiracy there"!

Why have they decided that Chadwick Road different. Lower Chadwick is all day what is different for upper Chadwick.

What is the real reason?

Hi spider69,

A few. It would be tricky to pick out one road to have different operational times than all the others. In Herne Hill two hours of operation has resolved the commuter parking. If the proposed two hours is insufficient then it can always be extended when it is reviewed usually at 12 months.

My beef is no consideration of streets south of the railway line has been made and how it will move the problem. But I also get where does this end.

In East Dulwich ward south of the railway track and south of southern side of Grove Vale - the new Charter East Dulwich school and new super clinic replacing Dulwich Hospital will see extra parking stress while these building are constructed and after they're built. This new CPz will compound the problem. Also JAGS and Alleyns currently have building works causing paring stress apparently around there where not previously felt.

Hi James- I appreciate where you?re coming from but respectfully, if you wanted to weigh in on this as a councillor it really should have been back before the previous CPZs were implemented. The situation on Chadwick Rd and neighbouring streets is currently completely untenable and slowing the new CPZ down isn?t going to help. Clearly our CPZ is going to have a knock-on impact elsewhere in the area, but there isn?t any way back now, unless they rescind the previous CPZs which presumably isn?t going to happen.

The question of where it ends is an interesting one- hopefully at some point people start using public transport to get to the stations around here rather than driving and using the streets as a free all-day car park. For the record, I?m in favour of the 12-2 restriction, which should deal with the commuter issue.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My beef is no consideration of streets south of

> the railway line has been made and how it will

> move the problem. But I also get where does this

> end.

Virtually overnight Copleston Road and environs have become a carpark for commercial vehicles - saw some workmen the other day offload their supplies at a house they were working on north of the railway then nip round the corner to park on Copleston. Many, many vans being left parked up at night. As the genie can't go back in the bottle, we're going to need a CPZ here too as soon as possible I think.

This is why the 11-2 CPZ for Chadwick Road will not work.

All surrounding roads are 0830-1830 hours. Upper Chadwick will become an island surrounded by all day CPZ's.

Chadwick is already is a parking haven for vehicles you have mention above, although we can also add in vehicles

left parked up by local garages.

Life will still be the same with no resident parking. If you have to go out hoping there will be parking when you come back.

As 64% of residents voted for all day parking they should have their wishes respected.

Please refer to jimlad48 comments earlier in the thread.

Your comment many many vans parked up over night means they do not have to move until almost

midday, then move and come back until the next day. Southwark should listen to residents, will they, I doubt it.

I have read some of the comments regarding this subject, and I think some people are very selfish. It?s clear that these people are not affected by parking, but if you take one thought for those who live on St Francis and can never get parked, you will realise there?s a massive issue here!

Parking restrictions in my road is well overdue - about 10 years to be in fact!

To live as near to a railway station as you do gavin, it must be hell to park at any time of the day if you do not have parking restrictions. I would have thought that area would be part of the CPZ that came into effect in April 2016 near to the Denmark Hill Estate with Denmark Hill and North Dulwich train/bus commutes but obviously not.

rendelharris Wrote:

> James Barber Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> > My beef is no consideration of streets south of

> > the railway line has been made and how it will

> > move the problem. But I also get where does

> this

> > end.

>

> Virtually overnight Copleston Road and environs

> have become a carpark for commercial vehicles -

> saw some workmen the other day offload their

> supplies at a house they were working on north of

> the railway then nip round the corner to park on

> Copleston. Many, many vans being left parked up

> at night. As the genie can't go back in the

> bottle, we're going to need a CPZ here too as soon

> as possible I think.

You have always been opposed to CPZ areas though haven't you rendel?

hammerman Wrote:

> rendelharris Wrote:

> -----

> > James Barber Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> >

> > > My beef is no consideration of streets south

> of

> > > the railway line has been made and how it

> will

> > > move the problem. But I also get where does

> > this

> > > end.

> >

> > Virtually overnight Copleston Road and environs

> > have become a carpark for commercial vehicles -

> > saw some workmen the other day offload their

> > supplies at a house they were working on north

> of

> > the railway then nip round the corner to park

> on

> > Copleston. Many, many vans being left parked

> up

> > at night. As the genie can't go back in the

> > bottle, we're going to need a CPZ here too as

> soon

> > as possible I think.

>

> You have always been opposed to CPZ areas though

> haven't you rendel?

Not per se, no - I've always felt one wasn't necessary in my neighbourhood and that people were complaining too much about having to walk twenty yards from their car to their front door, and until recently it wasn't, but as I said, the genie can't go back in the bottle; if they're going to make all the surrounding areas CPZ then we'll have to have one as well or become swamped.

Well, I voted in favour as It will remove the 25-39 commuters I sample every day now on Abbotswood and Talbot roads. Same cars every weekday morning arrive between 6.30 and 8.30 and use the station. Will transform the lives for the poor guys on St Francis too. Just a shame it will not yet help the poor sods on Melbourne and Derwent.

Nice touch that the football fans that drive in will still be able to park in the evening and on a Saturday.

If this kind of measure is the only way to force people to take a bus to the station rather than driving so be it.

Having worked in Lambeth where there are loads of CPZs, it can have a knock on effect to the surrounding areas. Roads are usually 'zoned' i.e. L area may cover 3 or 4 streets - which means residents/car users will be fighting for spaces over these streets. It also means that residents will need to pay for visitors' permits - you can get short ones for a few hours and also 'Day' ones. This means that relatives/friends cannot just pop round to see you but will need to check if you have visitors permits at hand.

CPZs also affect people such as carers visiting on a daily basis elderly and vulnerable people. Depending on the care agency - some carers using their cars can get a 'medical permit' which allows parking in CPZs and on single yellow lines. However, these medical permits need to be paid for and most agencies will not fork out for these.

When I worked in Lambeth, social workers and OTs were not provided with borough wide parking permits and found using their cars to visit people at home was not feasible due to time wasted finding a parking space or parking meter, so used public transport which could often mean several bus changes. Whilst this may be environmentally friendly, when you take a call from a worried carer not being able to access their client, you need to get to that address asap.

It was a few years ago I worked for Lambeth, but I understand from colleagues working in this borough, things have only changed slightly .

Hi Pugwash,

If you can put me in touch with some current social workers, OT's working in Southwark experiencing this problem I will work to et this resolved for them - I know not strictly in East Dulwich ward it must have some knock on impact of vulnerable people I our patch.

Hi Sally,

The next step is the formal Traffic Management Order which is effectively a formal public consultation. Real opportunity for you to make the case for longer hour of operations and equally those against.

I'll endeavour to make people aware when this stage starts.

Our CPZ has seen road parking drop by about 70%, so its not like we're exactly fighting for spaces here. In southwark, you just enter in online the car registration number or pay by text. You don't need paper permits anymore - if you want to drive to see someone, just let them know your registration. Its not difficult and takes maybe 10-20 seconds to do.

Hard to see what the fuss is about really.