Luxury tower in Peckham

jules b

Until recently the Bussey Building has been the tallest building in Peckham town centre commercial area and the Conservation Area Appraisal report notes that the character of the Conservation Area is of 2-4 storey buildings. These are not generally thought of as 'high rise'. What did you have in mind in relation to that?

Blah Blah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It is the only way to fix it unless we want to

> requisition privately owned empty property, stop

> foreign ownership, stop ownership of more than one

> home, control rents in the private sector, end

> right to buy and a whole raft of other levels of

> interference that would be unpopular, and build on

> the green belt. We have to be sensible about the

> problem and the solutions. One tower block in that

> location is hardly going to bring the world

> crashing down.

These all need to happen too. Shame Teresa May isn't listening.

I also would be interested to see viability assessements for the space. Councillor John did say two years ago that those assessments would no longer be kept secret! The council could redevelop the space purely as a retail park themselves. Councils can borrow money to do that. What councils can not do, is borrow money to build homes. This is why they end up in these immoral deals with corporations like Lendlease and HA's are becoming more and more like property deveopers and less like HAs too. We might even see some of the bigger ones sell off their social housing stock and deregister as HAs in the years to come.

I am, on the whole, in favour. More houses/flats/studios means more competition which should mean lower prices, in theory. Peckham is not an idyllic suburb as it once was many moons ago and it's attracting a young, adventurous and urban-minded crowd, at least in and around the station. I'd prefer the development to have social housing but even if it doesn't it will mean there is more choice and therefore less pressure on the existing housing stock.

This so call Labour council undersold to lendLease who now have blocks built around Elephant & Castle one of which was in the press for having been full of flats sold to people from out of this country. All this council is interested in is getting the relevant service charges. Why would anyone be in Favour of a high rise block where flats will cost ?1m and not go to local people. We must also redefine what local people means, I suppose. People who have been here 10+ years? I am aware of a few friends who have kids who were on the housing list and have been moved to Medway Towns and Thanet. Meanwhile on Peckham Rye is a new block part of which has an 'affordable' element, outside of which sit two men all day and night on Firewatch as apparently this block has been listed as being unsafe. I suspect it's not the same men all day and all night.....

Agree with some of your points PeckhamRose, but where is the evidence to suggest these flats will cost ?1M?

As far as I am aware, that sort of money would get you a very nice house around Bellenden/Goose Green sort of area, so why are people assuming that a flat on Rye Lane would cost just as much? I'm reluctant to support a petition that uses deliberate spin.

We need, specifically, more social housing. Ideally, council housing. Building more luxury flats, aimed at the overseas market will make minimal impact on your average person's ability to get a foot on the ladder. In fact it can just make things worse, by fueling a speculative bubble.

The bubble is already there and comercial developers won't build in London unless they can build high end, high profit apartments. This is why it is completely crazy that councils can not invest in building homes themselves, in the same way that HAs are allowed to do. It is a no brainer. Only organisations genuinely interested in providing social and affordable housing, are going to actually build what we need. And that sadly, no longer applys to HA's in the main.

rahrahrah Wrote:

> We need, specifically, more social housing.

> Ideally, council housing. Building more luxury

> flats, aimed at the overseas market will make

> minimal impact on your average person's ability to

> get a foot on the ladder. In fact it can just make

> things worse, by fueling a speculative bubble.

So true. More flats of the ?wrong? sort ie high end, would only alleviate the housing problem if there were a limited need (thus causing competition and bringing prices down). As there is an endless demand for ?investment opportunities? in this bubble, it is only fuelling it.

Angelina Wrote:

> with the population increase predictions in the

> millions, where do you want people to live?

All the attached images have the same footprint and the same density.

And none of these even begin to approach the sort of density you get in housing models like Paris and Barcelona.

High density does not equal high rise.