Public Sector pensions

????

Ok so lets gets this correct, the self infalted ego windbag that goes by the nom de burk, hugenot, states the following:

" Bob Crow's reputation at the RMT is such that it attracts militant yobs into its ranks who use threats and menaces to get their own way. The 'democratic endorsement' of this crowd is hardly worth the ballot papers they use. "

So is he is saying that militant yobs, decide to change their careers and re-train as tube workers or bus drivers or freight drivers, or offshore workers in order to fulfill their militant after hours tendancies ? Christ who knew they were so dedicated.

So windbag is saying they are like sleeper cells who have taken over the our rail and maritime workforce ready to flash their militant tendancies at the appointed hour......?

So in the Huge (not) windbags own words......"now that is embarrasingly silly"

is he a another incarnation of Muhammad Saeed al-Sahhaf .....probably.

In Singers the government offers easily the highest paying jobs, and snaps of the cream of the young job market.

Demand is such that kids failing to make the grade usually go into a fit of depression that lasts years as they scrabble around for a way to get back in - making them almost useless at any other job too.

I think MPs should sort their pensions out - fat chance of getting a majority for that - to show leadership.

Private companies pensions also need to be fixed. Board directors should not be allowed to have seperate schemes from employees. They'd then have an interest in ensuring company schemes were good for all employees.

Several parts of the public sector have no pension fund. I recall a report about the fire service stating they dont have a pension fund but instead pay pensions from current revenue. This clearly needs to be fixed.

Linking public sector retirement age to the state pension age makes sense. Equalising the retirement age for men and women makes sense. But I can see some public sector areas where people don't currently last until 60 let alone raising it for employees such as teachers who seem to often burn out well before 60. Lifetime employment practices need to put in place to make such retirement ages work.

2007-08 report has been quoted saying the funding was secure and reducing proportion of GDP. That would be the year Ed Balls received a treasury memo saying stop spending money like crazy. Since that time the nations finances have been revealed as crazy and completely unsustainable.

In Southwark from memory we have another 15-20 years before the Southwark Pension fund is fully funded. Currently lots of extra contributions to catch up. Another help would be pension funds having to take a long er view and not findin it so easy to make withdrawals when they appear at an instant in time to be over funded.

My biggest fear in all this is poorer pensioners which could result in deflationary pressure as they compose as ever greater part of the economy.

AfN somewhat blind to the ridiculousness of an anarchist group (which by definition supports the abolition of the state) supporting strikes against a reduction in public sector workers and state benefits such as welfare and healthcare.

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Come on when was the last ? They've had an

> open goal for the past 4 years and still failed to

> provide much of an alternative. Genuienely how do

> we compete in a global eceonomy which is pulling

> millions out of global poverty but gradually

> eroding the wealth and priveliged poition that the

> west has enjoyed at the rest of the worlds expense

> for too many years? hint it doesn't involve

> maintaining uneconomivc benefits and agreements

> drawn up when things were very different. We'll go

> bust in the end unles we embrace the need for

> change....as progressive unions/workers in say car

> mannufacturing have realised, white collar middle

> class PS workers still seem to think there's a

> goose with golden eggs somehwere (or the money

> tree SJ)

Quids it sounds as though your question stemmed from last year's Channel 4 documentary called "Britain's Trillion Pound Horror Story". So the Tories are going to save us from PS excesses. A problem they've started. It's a shame the programme didn't point out the slashing of Britain's manufacturing sectors under Thatcher's short sighted policies.

How progressive are the current Tory's policies compared to Labour? Not much really apart from the way the Tories are putting into place their ideologies. Labour were also intent in cutting PS jobs and pensions. During the credit crunch crisis Gordon Brown devalued sterling so that Britain could compete in the export market. Decentralisation started under the last Labour government. Did you read John Healey's sub national review by any chance? Do you recall announcements by Hazel Blears about giving people more power in the community? The Tory's Big Society and Localism are all eye catching headlines but they simply continued what Labour had started. Do you remember DIUS?

UDT

UDT,

You can't believe the last government devolved more decision making to local councils. They really didn't.

The current government is stretched. The Tories idea of localism is bypassing local councils. The lib Dem view is to empower local authorities but with Eric Pickles as SoS...

James,

http://www.thirdsector.co.uk/news/Article/1052028/interview-hazel-blears-/

http://www.nlgn.org.uk/public/2008/speech-by-rt-hon-hazel-blears-mp-a-new-deal-for-local-devolution/

How things work in Southwark Council still remains a mystery to me.

For example, do you think Southwark Council whould have welcome the transfer of assets, like a swimming pool, to the community? I very much doubt it.

I don't know the lib dem view on empowering local authorities. I suspect there will be subtle differences between the various political parties.

UDT

Transferring assets to small groups of local residents means they no longer fall under local political checks and balances. So transferring assets to community groups can be anti democratic. Equally where local politicians no longer support a service I can see the attraction of 'taking it back' into the community.

But I don't agree with big councils such as Southwark running very local assets. We have 8 community councils who should be running such local services and assets and getting better value from budgets. It would also bring back more civic pride if significantly more budgets and powers devolved.

I can;t imagine a local community council or ward council oving to month street sweeping. Local residents wouldnt want don't want that BUT deciding this for 1/3rd million people in an office block near London Bridge by passes local accountability and makes such decision far to anonymous.

Transferring assets to the community would require a leap of faith by Southwark. However, I do share your point about some community groups being anti-democratic. I'm involved in two community groups where in one I've experienced some odd behaviours. And there is a local community forum where the admin would ban posters because their views were incompatible to his.

Chippy Minton Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>> I'm really hoping that all the train drivers, tube

>> drivers and bus drivers go on strike that day.

>

> Is that because you're Bob Crow's MI5 handler? ;-)

Nope. President of his fan club.

UDT : I'm involved in two community groups where in one I've experienced some odd behaviours. And there is a local community forum where the admin would ban posters because their views were incompatible to his.

Still laughing at this one, priceless par , dont reckon they will notice the big red hand prints across their little muggy faces though, used to it no doubt.

I think SSG and UnreliablePrejudice come from the same sad crowd that sit around in pubs saying "It's shite here and everyone are w@nkers" as a way of disguising the fact that their unpleasant and unnecessary behaviour is the reason that they're sat on their own.

Still in the pub though, eh mate? Move along sunshine, you don't even have the wit to insult someone originally.

On a more relevant note, I really don't care about you. It's a discussion about pensions, and you made stuff up in a different thread and were exposed. You've then pursued me like a right sad case into other threads. Have some pride, and concentrate on the issue at hand.

oops looks like i got that wrong, just found this on a site so looks like its still on.

edited for decency:

"Scotland Yard has issued new advice to police officers saying do not arrest anyone calling you a c**t,or a bastard, or a w*nker, or even f*c*ing c*nt or f*c*ing w*nk*r.They?ve done this because courts will not convict people who do. Cops are not too happy, Tory MPs are livid???.but me?well I?M F*C*ING WELL HAPPY! I suggest on june 30th we gather for a collective effort at swearing at the police. A huge wall of sound rolling down Whitehall as grimfaced cops stand hapless as C**T AND F*C*ING W*N*ER echo around Downing Street. Oh my aching sides????.. "

bleedin anarchists , always trying to make political hey.....C***S