Does anyone remember Peckham Manor School?

atila the gooner

PDXMAN Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I went to PM from 70 - 75. It was a tough school

> and race tension was an everyday event. Some of

> the teachers cared but many of them were tired of

> the challenge.

>

> Perhaps it was just me, but I think many of us

> graduated with a 'don't take no for an answer'

> attitude. I remember my first day, all in my new

> uniform. I had 5 fights that day, we were like

> wolves deciding the pecking order. As a small

> white kid with glasses it was important to show I

> was not one to be a target. It worked, Over the

> next 5 years I only had a handful more. I hated

> that place. it looked like a prison.

>

> I Live in Oregon now and have a teen of my own. I

> made sure he attended a school with teachers that

> cared, well designed environment and surrounded by

> a beautiful park setting with every recreational

> facility any boy could want. He loves his school.

I bet he does!

I am really jealous of my sons school, track, tennis courts, lake, streams, MIXED!!!! No uniforms and he drives there. I was going to post a pic but it won't let me >choose file. He's 17 now and the other day I asked him how many fights he had at school since starting. He looked at me wide eyed "fights" he said, none of course. That certainly is not all American schools, but it seems to be his. Lucky bugger.

Would like to contact anyone from 70-75 forms 1.7 to 6.7.

If you join the Peckham Society you may be able to get back issues of the magazine and read letters others have written. Many older folk who are not necessarily into these new fangled computers have met up through the Peckham Society. It will soon be on line, you'll be able to access every article and every letter written and look at all the subjects written about, ie. including Peckham Manor school.

I am no thug , i used my skills to help weaker people defend themselves against the bullies and low lifes of this world , and to give those with no confidence in themslves , some pride , at peckham manor i had my self confidence bashed out of me , and it took many years of hard work to get it back , as i have said the person who tried it on with me outside a pub , tried to belittle me in front of my girlfriend , i gave him the same chances to defend himself , as he gave me at that ruddy school , in fact i showed him my martial arts licence , but he went for me , i just defended myself .

and yes i am a bastard in buiseness , thats how i have succeeded in having a large property portfolio and marrying well with 3 kids one is a master in wing chun kung fu , the other is a copper , and my daughter married a designer of electronic cars , so all you arseoles who want to insult me , go ahead , i don't give a toss as i poor myself a glass of 5 star brandy and look out the window of my 6 bedroom detached house , so go ahead you clowns .

Roll call on the first day back at school in Peckham Manor School.

The teacher began calling out the names of the pupils:

"Mustafa Al Eih Zeri?" "Here."

"Achmed El Kabul?" "Here."

"Fatima Al Hayek? " "Here."

"Ali Abdul Olmi?" "Here."

"Mohammed Bin Kadir?" "Here."

"Ali Son al Len?? Silence in the classroom.

"Ali Son al Len?" Continued silence as everyone looked around the room.

She repeated, "Is this the name of any child here?"

A girl stood and said, "I think that's me. It's pronounced Alison Allen!"

• 1 year later...
Peckham Manor School was formed in 1958 by amalgamating Dovedale Manor and Leo Street boys schools.As I was a 1st year in 1ga Elgar House we had to wear short trousers no matter how tall you were,pretty stupid when you were a six foot gangly boy.I remember the Headmaster Mr.Matthews and deputy Major Grace (a sadistic b******) and Mr.Billson all prancing around in their gowns which was a bit pretentious for a Peckham comprehensive school.We had a great Rugby team modelled on the All Blacks and even had to learn The Harka(the Maori war chant).We made the front page of THE MIRROR when nearly all the school was caned for not wearing the School cap.The teachers had to cane in shifts to rest their arms,wouldn't happen today.I also believe Major Grace let the side down by making a fit looking French teacher pregnant,now that would happen today.

bob Wrote:

> Remember PM they use to come up to Thomas Calton

> in large groups to have fights with us.

> Bob S

We used to batter your mob. And Billy Biro. Fun days.

I remember one afternoon, Sumner Road was a mass of black blazers awaiting another school's impending arrival for a dust up. Sadly it turned out to be just a rumour but the entire school regardless of year was there in eager anticipation.

Of course this was back in the day when knifes weren't carried around as frequently as they appear to be now. Yes some lads had them but they were for show more than anything else and they certainly weren't as lethal looking as the ones you get now either.

Millhaven Wrote:

> We used to batter your mob. And Billy Biro. Fun

> days.

>

> I remember one afternoon, Sumner Road was a mass

> of black blazers awaiting another school's

> impending arrival for a dust up. Sadly it turned

> out to be just a rumour but the entire school

> regardless of year was there in eager

> anticipation.

>

> Of course this was back in the day when knifes

> weren't carried around as frequently as they

> appear to be now. Yes some lads had them but they

> were for show more than anything else and they

> certainly weren't as lethal looking as the ones

> you get now either.

Billy Biro. My old school. 85-90. Fun times

Parkdrive Wrote:

> Its the school I attended and saw Bob Marley and

> Johnny Nash in our sports hall in the early 70's,

> and still have Bobs autograph on a small black and

> white promo post card.

Posted a picture of Marley visit on Facebook a few months bacm. I will see if I can dig it out when I get home.

I remember Peckham Manor as in late 60s Friern Girls, William Penn Boys and Peckham Manor Boys ( and I vaguely remember Collingwood Girls) had some form of 6th Form Consortium where we all met up once a term. I recall going to a disco at PM. Peckham Girls was nicknamed the Brothel way into the 70s due to the pregnancy rate there - allegedly fathers were the lads from Peckham Manor

Pugwash Wrote:

>Peckham Girls was nicknamed the Brothel way into

> the 70s due to the pregnancy rate there -

> allegedly fathers were the lads from Peckham Manor

It's a lie I tell you!!!! ;)

When I got to about 13/14 it was decreed by person or persons unknown that the girls from Collingwood school were somehow more exotic than the girls across the road at Peckham Girls. So the Collingwood lasses became the focus of our attention. Looking back, by exotic I mean they wore different uniforms and were slightly further away. *sigh* Life was so uncomplicated back then.

Bill Hull Wrote:

> I started courting Sandra Anderson from

> Collingwood School in 1963 we were married in 1969

> and 2 girls and 3 grandchildren later we are still

> going strong.

Gawd bless you both.

• 7 months later...

This is an old post so lets see whats happens!! Im an old Peckham Manor Secondary boy started 1970 left 1974-5 ish, anyone here from that era?

Looking for any 'Friends' or 'Old School' websites that might have links to some of the old inmates/school boys that are out of prison or havnt changed thier names.

Cheers from sunny Oztralia!

• 3 months later...

Peckham Manor Old Boys Reunion

VENUE: Albrighton Community Centre,

37,Albrighton Road,

London SE22 8AH

DATE: Saturday 4th July 2015

TIME: 6.00 pm - 9.00 pm

NEAREST TRAIN STATION: * East Dulwich Stn.

Denmark Hill Stn. ( A short bus ride will be needed )

BUSES:40, 176, 185, 484

NOTA BENE: 1) A donation of one pound (?1) per person will be necessary towards the cost of hiring the hall.

2)Please bring a drink ( alcoholic and non-alcoholic ) and some food if possible.

Please let me know what you intend to bring so as to ensure that there is variety of food and drinks. I am assured that there will be some music on the night.

This time round you may bring your wife/ partner unlike the last meetings in January when only the men could come. Please confirm if you are coming. I look forward to hearing from you and subsequently seeing you at the party.

Regards,

Ollie Coker

( 1963-1970 )