40% off wine...

georgina

Now Peckhamgatecrasher that must have been tounge in cheek.. I dont rate Nicholas at all. I am surprised thay have survived for so long. The range is limited and very conformist. (now that just totally contradicts what i said in my last post)

Oddbins is still thriving in my neck of the woods despite Majestic opening up shop.

Sean - the link you sent actually has supermarket recommendations from the lovely Jancis so they can't be that bad can they (rhetorically speaking of course)

Superior retailers? own label wines

Sainsbury?s Cuv?e Prestige C?tes du Rh?ne Villages 2004 ?3.99

Sweet, spicy, full, dense southern French red from Caves St Pierre.

Sainsbury?s Classic Selection Albari?o 2004 ?5.99 larger stores

Racy, marine Galician dry white. Not the best but far from the most expensive.

Sainsbury's Coonawarra Cabernet 2002 ?6.99

Terrible label but excellent wine from Katnook.

Tesco Finest Great Southern Riesling 2003 ?7.99

Delicious Western Australian fragrant, racy white from Howard Park.

Tesco Finest Alsace Gewurztraminer 2004 ?6.99

Not blowsy yet very true, floral, opulent French white from Kuehn.

I also mentioned before I found G&B to be quite discourteous so that sort of thing tends to stick in my mind.

Cudgel - a fave of the Bard: Cudgel thy brains no more about it; for your dull ass will not mend his pace with heating

or even better:

If I owe you any thing, I will pay you in cudgels: you shall be a woodmonger, and buy nothing of me but cudgels. God b' wi' you, and keep you, and heal your pate.

Amended to put some cudgels in.

Totally agree with you downsouth. My brother worked at Oddbins a few years back, and the passion for wine among the staff was so obvious.

It didn't matter what job you wanted, you had to serve 3 months on the shop floor to understand what it was all about.

I think that's gone now, but it's still has a great selection and an onus on staff to know what they're talking about.

It'd be a sad loss to the area, not because they're also well trained in vermin control using traditional cudgel based methods, most particularly the thwap and the spludge.

I knew a guy who worked for Oddbins and had done his degree in wine (winery? wineing? wineology?) at Stellenbosch University near Cape Town. He was indeed passionate about it.

Unfortunately we were acquainted at a time when I had a much more desperado, quantity over quality approach to alcohol than I do now so I never took much heed of his wisdom on the subject.

I do like the thwap myself but can only achieve it with a cosh which, as I?m sure you know, is cheating.

Just seen this thread, I'd be up for a wine tasting.

Also, if anyone is interested in learning about where the wines come from, and how they've made made through the ages, as well as tasting all sorts of wines from around the world (including a very bizarre Indian red that frankly tasted like kebab meat), then I fully recommend a visit to Vinopolis on Clink Street.

When I went (a good couple of years ago), it was ?12.50 to get in which included 5 tasting tickets, but then you could buy strips of 5 more for ?2.50. I wasn't sure about it, but really enjoyed it!