How about knocking on their door to chat? They may not be aware how much the sound travels between your properties. Perhaps you could frame it that you've noticed noise travels a lot and mention what you've heard X, and ask whether they're having a similar problem to you.

Whatever you do, don't get annoyed at them at the outset, and don't let your irritation make you lose perspective. If worse comes to worst, buy some noise cancelling earphones.

And I speak from experience from neighbours so loud I've heard their children being conceived from a floor away.

I think it's meant to be considered polite to drop your neighbours a friendly note letting them know just how loud they're being. It is possible that they're just not aware of it. But otherwise you can report them to the Noise Team { http://www.southwark.gov.uk/noise-and-antisocial-behaviour }. I've called on them before & have found it to be very effective. They arrive within the hour, but they will need to be able to hear the noise for themselves.

EDIT:

... I don't think anybody should have to wear earphones in their own home to cancel out a noise. If your neighbours are deaf, perhaps it's time they get themselves checked out or send them earphones if they don't want to turn the volume down :)

They may be elderly and not aware that volume is up loud. I have a hearing problem and use teletext all the time much to the annoyance of the family. they rather have that than the TV blaring away.

Maybe a tongue in cheek approach ' I heard you were watching xxx last night, what did you think of the programme?

Years ago our neighbours (in their early 30s) used to have a 'love in session' at the weekend- they were in an upper flat and we had the house next door - we could still hear them when we were downstairs - worse in the good weather as they always had the bedroom window open!

messageRe: Noisy Neighbors new

Posted by Blueskygreengrass Yesterday, 11:24PM

"I know it?s normal and I could probably get used to it, but I don?t think I should have to,"

I have some sympathies. I'd like to be able to walk the streets at night without fear of assault, but I've also realised that standing on principles doesn't help much when there are practical problems.

Your neighbours probably also think they shouldn't have to put up with someone complaining about what they regard as a normal level of noise. Once everyone starts saying "I shouldn't have to deal with this", you can guarantee a problem will become intractable.

Please note I didn't only suggest headphones - I also suggested CBT. And I'm sorry if that suggestion offended you. It was my mistake - I thought you were asking what to do about noisy neighbours, not how to force other people to behave the way you think they should.

Some sorts of cognitive therapy may be helpful, where something is distressing you that isn't/ wouldn't distress others, since you may be over-focusing on it, and can 'think through' why that might be, but genuine loud noise doesn't fall into the category that e.g. CBT would help. CBT assists phobias (i.e. irrational fears) but not fear itself (rational fears). If you think that unknown people are watching you and may attack you that's probably irrational, if you are a victim of domestic violence your fear of your abuser is not going to be addressable through cognitive therapies.

If your neighbours don't believe that their noise making should be effecting you, perhaps record the sounds from your side so that they can experience it - even invite one of them over to hear what you are hearing. If they do have hearing problems these can be addressed, maybe they are in denial. But, from what you say, I don't think you need therapy, or would benefit from it. [Problems, e.g. of a screaming child going through '3 month' colic are always more difficult, as the neighbour can neither help that, nor probably wants it either - barking dogs left on their own are similar - but too loud TV?...]

I sympathise as I have had some very noisy and intractable neighbours over the years and it can be very stressful. Unfortunately a lot of the building stock, particularly conversions or terraces, can have very poor sound insulation and noise travels through walls, along floorboards etc. However, that said I am strongly of the belief that we all need to be considerate of each other and, knowing the problems of the lack of sound insulation, I have always tried to keep my noise down. I would hope that my neighbours show me similar consideration, but it doesn't always happen.

How about keeping a noise diary for a week or two to record times, dates, frequency, loudness, what was on tv, and the effect it had on your enjoyment of your home/sleep/stress etc.? Once you have surveyed the problem you can approach your neighbours to work out a compromise or the noise team (but I would try the neighbours again first). There is a mediation team in Southwark which can deal with neighbour disputes as well which be something to consider.

One thought, is their tv standing against your shared wall? If so, could they relocate it?

Barking dogs left on their own is not an unsolvable problem. The neighbours would have to put a bit of time and effort into it, but the dog could be trained to deal with the neighbours going out [https://www.petfinder.com/dogs/dog-problems/dog-barks-left-alone/].

If no progress can be made with them, I have been known to research sound insulation for walls and ceilings as a potential remedy when it all gets too much! That might be an option if you are an owner-occupier.

I think some people who complain about noise are unaware that their "noisy" neighbours can hear them only too clearly as well.

If you choose to live in a house or flat with walls adjoining someone else's, it is often going to be an issue.

If the noise is extremely loud and regular, then hopefully a polite word in person should help, as presumably (most) people do not go out of their way to annoy their neighbours. Reacting in a less polite way is likely to make relations worse.

If it's the occasional one off noisy incident, then live and let live, no?

But as Ilona M says above, in old houses sound travels in very weird ways.

OP has said he/she has tried to speak to the neighbours and got a dismissive response. I'm baffled by that kind of behaviour - if I was causing that kind of noise stress to my neighbours I'd a) want to know and b) do something about it ffs. People are so endlessly disappointing sometimes.

We did something similar when our neighbour would turn it down after we politely asked them to (at all hours), wait until whichever one of us had got back home and into bed, then turn it up just as loud! We work a lot of night shifts so one night we let them listen to an action film on repeat with the speakers on loud. They didn't do it again.

I'm not normally petty at all but it's amazing how easy it is to snap with no sleep, constant noise stress and dismissive neighbours.

HelBel65 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> OP has said he/she has tried to speak to the

> neighbours and got a dismissive response. I'm

> baffled by that kind of behaviour - if I was

> causing that kind of noise stress to my neighbours

> I'd a) want to know and b) do something about it

> ffs. People are so endlessly disappointing

> sometimes.

Maybe either the neighbours could be persuaded to come in and listen to their TV (or whatever) from the other side of the wall, or alternatively the person finding it noisy could ask to come in and hear what volume it is from the neighbours' side?

It's all a bit subjective otherwise.

As is what is an acceptable level, though.

I presume Southwark Noise Control could advise on that, though I don't know how they measure it.

ETA: With the room layout in smaller houses, it may be very difficult to find a place for either the television or speakers which isn't against a neighbour's wall, which obviously adds to the problem.