Huge queues at Peckhamplex - allow wait time before your film

flocker spotter

i like the Plex

at least i don't fall asleep in there, like i do every time i've been in the ED picturehouse - i could do that at home any time without paying over ?10 for the privilege.

although one reason for staying awake in the Plex is sheer irritation at the people sitting in front of me, who all seem to check their phones at 30-second intervals, crunch their popcorn, rustle their paper bags, and keep their stupid hats on in the cinema

civilservant Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> i like the Plex

> at least i don't fall asleep in there, like i do

> every time i've been in the ED picturehouse - i

> could do that at home any time without paying over

> ?10 for the privilege.

>

> although one reason for staying awake in the Plex

> is sheer irritation at the people sitting in front

> of me, who all seem to check their phones at

> 30-second intervals, crunch their popcorn, rustle

> their paper bags, and keep their stupid hats on in

> the cinema

Well they're only spending time there before meeting their hipster friends at the Bussey.

Michael Palaeologus Wrote:

> There are Picturehouse movies and there are Peckhamplex movies.

Not sure... there's a large overlap, at least. Picturehouse seems to be predominantly mainstream. Plex sometimes shows foreign and documentary stuff.

Might try the plex again... maybe off peak or for kids stuff. Never again on a Fri/Sat evening.

arguably the Plex is the more authentic movie experience

who remembers the late lamented Coronet at the Elephant?

oh the sticky floor coverings, oh the smell of weed drifting up from the smokers in the front seats, oh the roar of audience approval every time Michael Douglas offed someone in Falling Down, oh the spooky back stairs that led into the dodgy back passages behind the Elephant! when Jurassic Park first came out, I joined the end of a queue that looped three times around the Michael Faraday monument!

PictureHouse! nah!

• 2 weeks later...

snowy Wrote:

> Whirled is in Loughborough Junction (and has been

> there for years!) highly recommended...

On the subject of cinemas I've only just found out about of which everyone else may already be well aware, Kino Bermondsey: http://www.kinodigital.co.uk/home/film-listings/?venue=b

Handy for on the way home from work. For me, anyway.

civilservant Wrote:

> i like the Plex

> at least i don't fall asleep in there, like i do

> every time i've been in the ED picturehouse - i

> could do that at home any time without paying over

> ?10 for the privilege.

>

> although one reason for staying awake in the Plex

> is sheer irritation at the people sitting in front

> of me, who all seem to check their phones at

> 30-second intervals, crunch their popcorn, rustle

> their paper bags, and keep their stupid hats on in

> the cinema

That made me laugh civilservant because I could have written that post. I've actually stopped going there now because I used to get so wound up.

I went to see the LPO at QEII hall once and someone rustled with a bag of sweets for most of the concert. That's why I wont go to the Southbank again.

There are annoying people at most events that I go to. People of all ages and all walks of life are addicted to their phones. This may apply to you too.

And one of the great mysteries of life is why they sell popcorn at all cinemas.

No doubt it is totally silent at the Picturehouse, apart from the end when there is a round of applauds, people stay for the credits and then discuss the film as they leave. I wont be finding out.

I'm an avid cinema and theatre goer and the lack of focus by audience members can be so horrendous - phones, eating, rustling, jittering about and leaning forward in seats, bangles jangling, explaining what's going on in stage whispers etc etc One of the worst things is older people theatrically coughing incessantly - why is that? Hasnt yet got to the stage where I won't go but at times I'm glad we have gun laws in this country.

maybe the older people are coughing to say' I'm here and I'm trying to watch the film in peace'....would you confront the noisy people last time I did I was told to 'F off if I don't like it'....I was 25 and with my pregnant OH....it was over 20 years ago so things have probably got worse but I don't go to the cinema anymore

Apart from the coughers yes I usually do to mixed response. Sometimes it's just general unawareness, particularly if they are not regular theatre goers and are unused to the "etiquette". But it gets very wearing when we just want to enjoy the event.

Peckhamplex seems to have more audience participation than other places. It?s one of the joys of the place.

Yesterday evening, there was sporadic clapping at heroic moments in Black Panther. I?ve previously noticed the same, even when they screened the Scottish Play.

I don?t mind a bit of whispering and rustling, as long as no one has their mobile phone screen on. There were no antisocial mobile screens yesterday, but it is usually a problem at theatres and cinemas. Put it away!

PeckhamNicola Wrote:

> snowy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Whirled is in Loughborough Junction (and has

> been

> > there for years!) highly recommended...

>

> On the subject of cinemas I've only just found out

> about of which everyone else may already be well

> aware, Kino Bermondsey:

> http://www.kinodigital.co.uk/home/film-listings/?v

> enue=b

> Handy for on the way home from work. For me,

> anyway.

Kino (formerly shortwave cinema) is a great little space with a nice and varied caf?/bar vibe