bil

red devil Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> These are the same architects that did the pair of

> Grand Designs houses (off Landells Road?)...I

> believe one was sold close to the asking price of

> ?850k...some people are happy to pay a premium for

> good quality design.

i remember watching this episode of Grand designs but I didn't realise that these homes were in ED. They were so creative. Urban architecture like this is exciting.

As we all know the economic climate has changed considerably in recent years. I remember the programme too, the developer went way over budget, but was quickly able to borrow extra money to finish the build.

The fact that on this scheme the developer is trying to sell 'off-plan' would suggest that they haven't got the funding in place to build the houses, and instead are having to rely on a cash rich buyer to come along who can visualise the finished house.

I spotted these too on themodernhouse.net I think they look fantastic and add something to the area. Finding good ways to utilise backland sites like this are to be encouraged and I hope the finished product will be as good as it looks on paper.

I looked up the architects and applicant on Southwark planning website and they are in the process of trying to get another application through at 300 Lordship Lane which looks even more interesting...

Senor Chevalier Wrote:

> I spotted these too on themodernhouse.net I think

> they look fantastic and add something to the area.

> Finding good ways to utilise backland sites like

> this are to be encouraged and I hope the finished

> product will be as good as it looks on paper.

> I looked up the architects and applicant on

> Southwark planning website and they are in the

> process of trying to get another application

> through at 300 Lordship Lane which looks even more

> interesting...

i agree. Not only does 300 Lordship lane site look interesting but the plans offer living space that is suitable for a family. The houses have 2 receptions and 4 beds..the flats appear spacious and most have some outdoor space. I don't know what the current site looks like but I imagine that it must be an eyesore. On my road, which is dunstans road, there are some disused garages but I don't suspect the plot is large enough for a residence.

with regards to the Dunstans road site; I wonder what we will be able to see from the road..I am so nosy and would love to have a look at the finished houses..

Looking at the first picture I think on the right hand side in the background you can see a church.

I think this is a plot out the back of the allotments on the south side of Underhill road / east side of Dunstans road. I live relatively close to there and there's a plot which previously had what looked like disused garages (brick walls back and sides but no roofs) which has recently been cleared.

The church seems to sound the bells every quarter hour - which is nice enough at the distance I am, but am not sure I'd want it right next to me, could be enough to disturb sleep at that close range.

Yep - adjacent bell tower could get irritating if it is in use. The Lordship lane site is similar, i.e. a bunch of disused garages and a narrow access road.

I'll keep an eye on the case file, there are always loads of neighbour objections on things like this which are bound to be hilarious...as all the local NIMBYs suddenly develop "genuine concerns" in relation to access for emergency services and anything else they can think of to block the development.

Exactly. Whereas these new places should be more or less maintenance free, no: leaky roof, tempramental old boiler, creaky floorboards etc etc and super insulated (as timber frame buildings are) so low on energy costs. I think the price seems pretty reasonable when compared to what you get for your money round here....and those that don't like them have no end of choice of bog standard terrace houses.

Senor Chevalier Wrote:

> Each to their own indeed. Still, whilst not to

> everyone's taste, it's good that people have an

> opinion on it rather than most generic developer

> crap that is too bland to even provoke a

> response...

Yes I agree, u don't have to love it but it offers an innovative use of and gives a relatively aesthetic appearance to what would otherwise be a dump site or disused ugly area. Unfortunately all housing is expensive these days but it appears that the asking price is slightly higher than average for a 4 bed house with osp and garden in this area. So many new builds are bland, boring and of poor quality with impractical room sizes are and zero green credentials. These new houses are better than average.

I think 850k for that amount of space, with good design and quality finish is not bad value at all. Bunny, you really don't get over 170m2 for 650k unless it's a fixer upper! I saw a very modern house on the market recently in a similar part of ED which was not much cheaper but was 30 - 40% smaller.