Napisan...stock up or not?

It is definitely worth it, but i admit to buying 4 boxes and only got through 2 - used it with most baby washes for first 6 months, but then needed it less and less - have 2 boxes remaining saved up for next baby...

I have no experience of napisan so I can't compare but I used a vanish stick, as we just happened to have one lying around.

You moisten the stain and rub vanish into it and then put it (the soiled item of clothing, not the vanish stick) in the wash with the rest of the load. You don't have to do it straight away - dried in stains (yes, gross) have come out completely. I haven't even got through half stick in 6 months!

You can buy an eco alternative...so I guess better for babies skin, called Bio-D. I think you can get it from Health Matters and you used to be able to get it from the chemist (now Lloyds) on North Cross Road. They may still do it. I've also found that Borax is a great cheaper eco alternative...from AJ Farmers on Lordship Lane. Or white vinegar in with the soak.

Yes don't use Napisan on cloth nappies as it can rot the plastic on nappy covers. If you're doing cloth I recommend the kinder Bambino Mio Miofresh. Again you hardly need any.

Before I switched to cloth I didn't use anything and found line drying gets rid of all poo stains as if by magic!!

I use it quite a lot, as I wash most things at 30 I like to know all germs are well and truly dead. My son wets his pants a lot so if there's anything in there with wee on it it I chuck the Nappisan in with the detergent. Ends up being most days lol!

Sainsbury's always have it in the baby aisle, about 2/3 of the way down on the right (as you approach the checkouts) so there is no need to stock up, it's widely available!

JessM,

Urine is sterile, a 30 degree wash is enough to sanitise.

A 60 degree wash will kill bacteria in poo if need be but will obviously be harsh on some fabrics...but Nappisan is too - I know we are not talking Nappies here but interesting to note that nearly all nappy manufacturers now state soaking is bad news & if you use Nappisan or similar in washing it invalidates the warranty. Dry pailing in bucket & a 60 degree wash idle recommended, or 30 degrees if only wet Nappies to wash rather than soiled ones.

JessM, you're not alone, we are all prone to it, especially with first babies. The danger is that over time all these detergents/chemicals etc build up in the fibres of the clothes/Nappies & then babies develop skin sensitivity. Overuse of detergent is one of the most common reasons. Generally speaking we should use HALF the recommended dose when washing Nappies (& I adhere to it for clothes too).

So loose powder or liquid & take time to read the instructions.

For nappy washing advice thenappylady.co.uk is very good. I am not affiliated to it in any way now, though I was an advisor for years. Wendy always has the latest washing advice on there.

Xx

...and it all got slightly confusing ;O

I do not wish to get chemical happy really (love this term JessM)...trying my best to avoid it at all costs where possible. And I really appreciate your point Molly re harshness on fabric, wasn't aware of the damage it can cause...

It is my first and to be honest I wasn't going to let the arrival of baby E&K change my life upside-down too much, and (in this case) stick to my usual detergent + soda and then I read Gina Ford

I probably should have said that I don't use it in the machine... I put a little sprinkle in a bucket and then top up with cold water to soak badly stained vests, cloths, etc (but not cloth nappies as we don't use them) for an hour or so before popping into my normal wash with fairy bio. Sadly there isn't always the sunshine needed to line dry!

Best not to soak full stop cuppa tea. If using terry squares, or cotton Nippa fastening nappies it's not quite so bad, but generally speaking it's not good for the fabric, and bamboo nappies really suffer if soakes.

Quite honestly, in this day and age with fab washing machines and excellent detergents you don't need to soak, just dry pail and do a 60 degree wash. Makes it all so easy, especially if using a nappy mesh in the bucket.

E&K very sorry if you ended up feeling confused, these babies do change our lives, however much we try and fight it, but only in a good way. Carrying on 'as much as normal as you can' is a very good approach to take.

xx