Tuesday 9th August - Any trouble affecting East Dulwich?

• Administrator

Please keep this factual and about things that affect East Dulwich.

Please don't discuss what's going on, just report them.

Irrelevant posts will be removed.

Other threads about the same topic will be deleted or moved to the Lounge.

And taken from TJMP's post

"Here are the key messages from the police that they would be grateful if everyone could heed and pass on:

? Parents and guardians should know where their children are and they should be at home tonight

? Onlookers should go home as they are hampering the police operations

? If you see something suspicious dial 999 "

Please discuss the issues in general and the going on in other areas such Camberwell, Tottenham and Peckham in the Lounge.

Administrator,

What is wrong with discussing areas around East Dulwich too when this is a highly fluid situation???? Something that happens on rye lane is likely to move within minutes to East Dulwich. Are you being pedantic or is there some legal reason for this stipulation?

if you shove everything together gk it becomes a great mess with one person talking about something on the other side of london to someone else talking about something entirely unrelated to the local area. Great confusion then comes about and could potentially cause panic and stress to readers quite unnecessarily. I aint no clever clogg but it dont take to much to figure out.

Sorry Admin -

I'm hearing whistles from lordship lane... anyone know what that's about?

Administrator

I am all for only be factual but I do think that "riot events" in surrounding areas (Camberwell, Peckham etc) have a direct bearing on ED residents and should, for this purpose only, be allowed in this section. It affects how people travel home to ED etc so it is relevant.

Hope you reconsider.

I was in Sainsbury's on Dog Kennel Hill about 50 minutes ago. One of the main door panels had been smashed and was being boarded up and the whole of Starbucks and the far exit had shutters down.

Had been there maybe 10 minutes when a store announcement came over tannoy asking customers to leave all shopping and evacuate immediately.

Cue mild panic. Staff rushing to empty and secure tills. Parents looking worried. Kids screaming.

Second announcement to reassure people that there wasn't a situation out front, but that they were closing early (at 1.50ish pm) as a precaution.

Cue tutting and eye-rolling and few people trying to go back in to finish their shopping.

As I left, I heard three (separate, unrelated) people say it was in response to reports of a large mob headed to the store. No idea if that bit's true, but the staff and security at the door looked very twitchy and clearly wanted to get everyone out sharpish.

...althought to be fair kalamitykel, camberwell, peckham and forest hill hardly constitute 'the other side of london'. They're right next door and worth keeping an eye on, as I said before, due to the fluidity of the situation. I'd argue that including them in an ED thread does not create 'great confusion' but could lead to a more comprehensive picture of what's going on.

I was in Sainsburys also about an hour ago and I have to say, that you have just completely exaggerated!

Yes they told everyone to start leaving, so that they could put the shutters down. But there were no children screaming!?

Anyway, I walked down lordship lane to get home and nearly every shop is closed or closing, so if anyone has plans to go there. I'd say dont bother.

I wasn't exaggerating. I walked past three or four people at the tills whose kids were screaming as people pushed past them to get out.

The majority of the shutters were already down while I was in there, other than the front door ones.