High Chair recommendation?

Hi there. We are about 2 weeks away from embarking on the exciting adventure that is weaning and will need to buy a high chair for our daughter. Any recommendations on what to look out for? I've seen a huge range in price, materials (e.g. wood, plastic, fabric) and functionality (swivel, tilt, travel). Many thanks, Heidi

Tripp Trapp chairs are brilliant. We started out with a Chicco highchair that had won all sorts of awards, and did just about everything (except make the baby eat!) and it was a nightmare - hard to keep clean, an absolutely monstrosity that took up half the kitchen etc.

Having switched to a Tripp Trapp when our son was about 15 months old, we then bought another one to use right from the start with our daughter, and they still use them now (4.5 and 3) - I imagine we'll still be using them for many years.

I went for a basic Antilop from IKEA. It's been a great buy - inexpensive, very easy to clean (we do baby-led weaning so needed something easy to wipe down), easy to transport and it's also the model used in quite a few restaurants and pubs so my son is already used to the chair when we take him out.

I, too, am confused by the huge range out there! I am tempted by the Tripp Trapp but my hubbie did raise an eyebrow when I mentioned the price!

Bonfire2010 - assuming that most tables are of a similar height, does the Antilop fit comfortably under the dining table?

What do people use once their child becomes too big for a standard high chair (i.e if you didn't get something like a Tripp Trapp that lasts for several years)? Sorry to hijack your thread, Heidi!

Another vote for the ikea antilop. That and the trip trap (opposite ends of the price spectrum!) seem to consistently get mentioned as the two best. What I love about the antilop is that it's soooo easy to clean, and you can whip the tray off and stick it in the dishwasher. it is portable but we have a booster seat we tend to take if going away, and we use that if we're all eating at the table (plastic mothercare one). My son is fairly average height 2.5 yrold and still comfortable in the antilop.

Tripp Trapp all the way (but then I am Scandinavian) :)

Worth the money....my 5 year old still sits on his!

I think they are fantastic! You can take of the baby attachements which allows your toddler (who no longer likes to be strapped in a high chair!!) to climb up and sit at the table by themselves rather than having to get them onto a chair where they can't reach their food ;)

I have loved it and thought it was money well spent.

Actually have a brand new one still in the box - never managed to give my little boy a sibling :( probably should just sell it actually...

We have a Tripp Trapp at home and antilop at grandparents' houses for visits. We love the Tripp Trapp - Baby Knomester sits up at the right height at the table with us and it's great for his posture. I personally wouldn't want to use the antilop all of the time for long periods because it's not as good for posture.

Tripp trapp definitely. It really is an investment. My sister and I used them as kids and now our eldest children (5 and 3.5) are using the same ones more than 30 years later. We've both bought new ones for their younger siblings and they are identical as it is such a classic design.

The chicco is annoying to keep clean and not stylish, but the baby can be securely strapped in and I felt it was big and sturdy enough to safely hold a 2 year old whilst I went in and out to the kitchen. With the table on I definately felt like she couldn't escape.