Football Focus

jenniejenjen10

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ...well that may be true but it's interesting how

> many just 'happen' to end up supporting...

>

> Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Man U....

>

> ....for no family/residency/place of birth reasons

> what so ever

This a well worn path on the EDF isn't it Quids?

Back in the day, I used to quite admire the Cockney Reds (old skool) because

1) We ALL (spuds/Gooners/Chelsea etc) hated them

2) The Mancs hated them as much too

They had to be able to look after themselves believe me

Obvuiously the modern middle class versions make me puke :)) Surrey Reds

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ...well that may be true but it's interesting how

> many just 'happen' to end up supporting...

>

> Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Man U....

>

> ....for no family/residency/place of birth reasons

> what so ever

You missed this bit then Atticus - that makes it fine with me, no puking. wWat u doing on the EDF from Berkshire anyway?

Well then you don't count under Quid's eligability critera, you qualify under "Place of birth" reasons

for no family/residency/place of birth reasons what so ever

I juuuuuuuuust about qualify under "residency", as I never supported any team (other than England) before I went to uni in Liverpool, at which point I chose them. I haven't stepped foot on Merseyside in about 10 years now though :-$

I have been to Charlton and supported them loads of times though, although not sicnce a dire match against Bristol City a couple of years back. Charlton were my second team, simply because I wanted to get in to a girls knickers, and she was a big fan.

Alas, I never made it in to the knickers, but I still kept an eye on Charlton.

I didn't miss it. you seem to imply that Surrey reds have no allegiance to their club. Berkshire Blues is made up entirely of exile scousers or, people who are related to such.

I live East Dulwich, just enjoy the group of lads I go to the 'southern' matches with, most of whom happen to live around Berkshire.

Cross-post with Otta

Listen it's only my old prejudice crap but it is just funny how so many more recent fans drop into the big 4/5. I've a mate from Hampshire who is very posh and is a fanatical Wolves fan because he liked their gold shirts when he was a nipper. I can live with that totally just casual home county fans of the obvious gets on my wick, completley. My problem folks.

No no, you are right, and I guess I,for example, could have chosed Everton, or Tranmere, since I was up that way. Or I should be more loyal to Charlton, who I've seen play live at least as many times as Liverpool, and certainly more recently. I also look at them as my "home" team, because I spent more of my youth over that way, than near CP / Milwall.

But even I get annoyed when people have never been to Anfild, or even stepped foot in Liverpool. Even more so for Old Trafford / Manchester.

Right, I'm going to get myaself a ticket to The Valley soon, and start taking notice of Charlton a lot more again. I'll still always support Liverpool though. When Charlton were in the prem, I always hoped for a drawer between the 2, and if not, a Liverpool win. That said, I always said that if it was the last day, and Charlton needed a win, I'd rather them stay up, than Liverpool win the title by sending Charlton down). Guess that is split loyalty!

My partner is a Spurs fan and when we had our first son and moved to Crystal Palace I decided that he (our son) would support CPFC on the grounds that it was our local team and anyway I didn't want him to have a lifetime of misery like his dad did following Spurs. Clearly, I knew nothing about football.

That son is now 13 and whilst rarely cheerful is never bored supporting Palace! On the way home from Old Trafford in the early hours of yesterday morning he said 'Mum it really is the theatre of dreams - just ours not theirs, best night of my life'. He came home from school yesterday incensed at all the people who were now claiming alliegance to Palace - 'glory hunters the lot of them'!

I imagine that wherever he ends up living, as an adult, his devotion to Palace will never fade.

Good for him McGolden. All of my family on my dad's side were/are Crystal Palace fans and it was the first place I was taken to see a football match - probably to get indoctrinated and become a fellow supporter of the Eagles. They lost 5-1 at home to Wolves. Not good.

I was then taken a few times to the Old Den - my dad knew the gateman at the old greyhound stadium behind the ground and you could watch a match from what was called "Jews Hill" from there. I also went a few times to the ground with a mate but I was never impressed and to we'd go to Selhurst Park to watch the Palace, only because they were local. I have also in the past stood in the old Shed end at Chelsea with a couple of old mates who were fans but I'd already long become obsessed with Tottenham Hotspur from the age of about three or four years old when I first set my sights on a certain goalscoring genius that was Jimmy Greaves, who was my boyhood idol playing for England. As soon as I found out he played for Spurs, that was it I was hooked and I was Spurs through and through.

A friend of mine and I started travelling up to White Hart Lane together to watch them from the age of ten. We're still going together 43 years later.

"Tottenham till I die. I'm Tottenham till I die.

I know I am I'm sure I am. I'm Tottenham till I die."