Goose Green councillors - how can we help?

Hello James

I have a third money question for you! Did Southwark council give any money to Dulwich Hamlet in the last 12 months, and if so how much?

If you can't help with these 3 questions, do you know who at the council can please?

They are 1) cost of implementing the CPZ 2) cost of the CPZ consulatation and 3) how much money, if any Southwark put into Dulwich Hamlet football club.

Many thanks

Dear all

I am back from my holiday!

1) All responses to the consultation are considered. However, I have made a commitment - backed by the Leader of the Council - that the scheme will only be implemented in an area if the majority of residents living there respond to the consultation positively.

2) I do not know what the cost will be to implement the scheme. It will clearly depend on the size of the area of coverage, along with a number of other variables which are subject to the consultation. The revenue from parking permits is intended to cover the costs though.

3) The CPZ consultation will have cost nowhere near ?2.5m. I do not know the exact figure for this consultation but in the past they have been around ?20,000 - so less than 1% of the figure you heard!

4) I doubt that the Council put any money into Dulwich Hamlet FC but I can check to make sure.

5) Still looking into the Quietway, which predates me. ArtfulDogger, can you email me directly with a specific set of queries you want me to answer?

Best wishes

James

Hi James,

Just to be clear, by area do you mean the area in total respresented by you as a councillor or do you mean a majority positive response street by street, so that some streets are CPZ and others not? If the latter, are 'positive responses' counted per property or per person?

jamesmcash Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Dear all

>

> I am back from my holiday!

>

> 1) All responses to the consultation are

> considered. However, I have made a commitment -

> backed by the Leader of the Council - that the

> scheme will only be implemented in an area if the

> majority of residents living there respond to the

> consultation positively.

>

> 2) I do not know what the cost will be to

> implement the scheme. It will clearly depend on

> the size of the area of coverage, along with a

> number of other variables which are subject to the

> consultation. The revenue from parking permits is

> intended to cover the costs though.

>

> 3) The CPZ consultation will have cost nowhere

> near ?2.5m. I do not know the exact figure for

> this consultation but in the past they have been

> around ?20,000 - so less than 1% of the figure you

> heard!

>

> 4) I doubt that the Council put any money into

> Dulwich Hamlet FC but I can check to make sure.

>

> 5) Still looking into the Quietway, which predates

> me. ArtfulDogger, can you email me directly with a

> specific set of queries you want me to answer?

>

> Best wishes

> James

Hi firstmate

This could mean partial implementaion within a subarea of the area consulted but it would not be street by street, rather a more substantial section i.e. the streets around East Dulwich station.

I outlined this earlier in the thread:

jamesmcash Wrote:

> *Possible outcomes*

> In the past the Council has only ever implemented

> three potential outcomes of a CPZ consultation.

> These are

> - Outright rejection of the proposal on the

> grounds of majority opposition. This was the case

> with the last East Dulwich consultation in 2012.

> - Outright implementation of the proposal

> following majority support. This has happened in a

> number of places for instance Thorburn Square.

> - Partial implementation of the proposal in a

> contiguous sub-area where the proposal was

> supported. This happened in Herne Hill.

>

> On the final outcome it is worth noting - to

> answer MarkT's query - that partial implementation

> would only apply to a contiguous area, not to

> smatterings of individual roads across East

> Dulwich.

>

> None of these three outcomes involved the Council

> railroading decisions against the wishes of local

> residents. They are the only options on the table

> for this consultation too. You have my word on

> this, and also that of the Leader of the Council

> Peter John (one of the reasons for the slight

> delay in responding on here was that I wanted to

> make 100% sure of this with him).

>

The responses are counted per person.

Best wishes

James

Re.East Dulwich CPZ consultation

> jamesmcash Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------

> The responses are counted per person.

James - how are responses from those living outside the proposed CPZ area going to be treated. There are many reasons why those living outside the area could be concerned - e.g. they could live elsewhere but use their car for shopping in East Dulwich or they could live just outside the zone and be fearful of having a parking problem in future when they haven't got that problem now. Some roads go across the boundary so part of the road would be in the zone and part would not.

How much weight will be given to their objections or will they count for nothing?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Abe_froeman

I have a response to your question about money to Dulwich Hamlet FC. Thanks for your patience.

The council has not paid any money to DHFC in the last 12 months, or indeed in the last 5 years. Prior to this the council did make a series of small payments to DHFC for room booking or pitch booking or similar services. These were each below ?600 and they ended in December 2013. In the 8 year period up until that point the council paid a total of ?7,300 to the club.

I hope that this answers your question.

Best wishes

James

James - please would you respond to my question above (25th Feb) on how much value, if any, will be given to responses from those who will be affected by the proposed CPZ but whose address is not within it- was responding to the survey a waste of their time?

Dear all

I hope you are all having a pleasant week.

TheArtfulDogger - There are two key changes to the implementation of the Southwark Spine, which derived from the consultation responses. The first is the retention of a small number of parking spaces which were previously earmarked for removal, and the addition of three sinusoidal speed humps on Adys Road. The second is the introduction (subject to TfL approval) of a cycle early release. This is an additional phase in traffic lighting to allow cyclists to have a head start over the vehicles behind them.

As I said before, this consultation predates my time on the council so I was not directly involved in it.

Gerry - Yes I am familiar with the proposals. There is a drop-in event on 9th April between 4pm and 7pm at Dulwich Library which I am attending. If you have specific points to raise then please do drop me an email at [email protected]

slarti b - Let me get back to you.

kiera - As I am sure you are aware, the consultation included a range of different questions. One of these asks whether the respondent supports or opposes the implementation of a CPZ. The other questions cover how this would be done if indeed it is implemented. My pledge to all residents is that I will only support the implementation of a CPZ if it is supported by the residents who live in the area covered. And I have secured a commitment from the Leader of the Council, Peter John, to honour this. Those living outside the proposed area will still have their voices heard regarding how such a scheme is implemented (if it is implemented at all) so they have not wasted their time responding to the survey. But ultimately the decision whether or not to implement a CPZ in a given area will be determined by the views of those living there. I hope this makes sense.

Best wishes

James

James

Can you give any detail on when the charges for garden waste collection will be introduced and what will happen about food waste collection?

Will the Council take away the brown wheelie bins for those not paying the charge?

I?ve found the report and can see what the charges will be but have not been able to read the report but Appendix G indicates charges will apply from April.

Item 11, Cabinet 5 February http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=302&MId=6087&Ver=4

James,

Removing most of the parking in CPR while implementing a CPZ is madness. Adding the extended double yellow lines and conversion of white lines into more extented double yellows lines into the mix will not ?increase parking space by 40%? as the woman who talked about it at the DCC meeting and drop in session claims.

AylwardS Wrote:

> James

>

> Can you give any detail on when the charges for

> garden waste collection will be introduced and

> what will happen about food waste collection?

>

> Will the Council take away the brown wheelie bins

> for those not paying the charge?

>

> I?ve found the report and can see what the charges

> will be but have not been able to read the report

> but Appendix G indicates charges will apply from

> April.

>

> Item 11, Cabinet 5 February

> http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.

> aspx?CId=302&MId=6087&Ver=4

James,

Further to AylwardS? post - can you please explain how this charge will be applied to those of us within flats with multiple gardens?

> James,

>

> Further to AylwardS? post - can you please explain

> how this charge will be applied to those of us

> within flats with multiple gardens?

And those of us who don?t have a brown bin but use the paper garden bags? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

The garden waste charge collection will be introduced from 3 June, not April. There will be communication to everyone in properties with kerbside collection this week, and an FAQ section will be put on the council website this month to better explain the new system.

In the meantime, let me cover a few key points:

- Food waste collection will remain free. The council is buying new food waste containted to ensure that people still have this service.

- The service will be charged per financial year. This means that the 2019/20 charge will be reduced pro rata to ?25 for the first year.

- You can still take garden waste to the Devon Street recycling centre for free.

- Adhesive stickers will be sent to those who have paid in June. After a grace period, the council will remove brown bins without stickers.

Siduhe - do you mean the bags you can buy for ?10 for 20? They will go up to ?15 but I think that's the only change.

Best wishes

James

jamesmcash Wrote:

> Hi all

>

> The garden waste charge collection will be

> introduced from 3 June, not April. There will be

> communication to everyone in properties with

> kerbside collection this week, and an FAQ section

> will be put on the council website this month to

> better explain the new system.

>

> In the meantime, let me cover a few key points:

> - Food waste collection will remain free. The

> council is buying new food waste containted to

> ensure that people still have this service.

> - The service will be charged per financial year.

> This means that the 2019/20 charge will be reduced

> pro rata to ?25 for the first year.

> - You can still take garden waste to the Devon

> Street recycling centre for free.

> - Adhesive stickers will be sent to those who have

> paid in June. After a grace period, the council

> will remove brown bins without stickers.

>

> Siduhe - do you mean the bags you can buy for ?10

> for 20? They will go up to ?15 but I think that's

> the only change.

>

> Best wishes

> James

Thanks James - do you know what the strategy is for properties (flats) where there is no space for bins so they are on the pavement? It's not going to be practical for a householder to pay for a bin that is out in public for everyone to dump stuff into.