Goose Green councillors - how can we help?

Dear all

Wooly - I have looked into this and I am afraid that Nutfield Road is not currently on any resurfacing programme. However I have ensured that it is on the reserve list for if there is scope for any additional roads to be added.

This list is determined by an annudal survey of the condition of roads. This happens at the end of the calendar year with the schedule available in January. Hopefully this will result in Nutfield being put onto the list for next year. I am sorry that this is not the answer that you were hoping for.

Pengiuin68 - As you say, our local Labour MP Helen Hayes has been doing stellar work on this issue. We councillors have been doing what we can to support her in that but you are right - it might be worth us doing something publicly. I will discuss it with my fellow councillors and work out what might be most effective, including considering your suggestion of writing to Ofcom.

This issue demonstrates very clearly the negative effects of privatisation. Royal Mail has decided that having a sorting office in East Dulwich is not profitable. They may well be correct in their assessment! But in my view the question is rather: is there a justifiable community benefit for having one? And the answer to that is demonstrably 'yes'.

intexasatthemoment and UVArchitects - Am right in saying that you have already contacted the council about this? If so, could you please forward your communication to me, or CC me in, so that I can try to speed up the process.

Best wishes

James

Hi

It was several months ago, it was only when i passed last week that i noticed it had markedly shifted outwards.

I dont think new the barriers are sufficient as the panel will clearly fall onto the pavement and possibly into the road. it is shifting on a daily basis and i think it could come down at any time.

Best

Mick

jamesmcash Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Siduhe - I have attached a map of the CPZ

> consultation areas, I hope it?s sufficiently

> comprehensible!

> Best wishes

> James

James - I live in a street in Rye Lane ward, just outside the new Goose Green ward, but our street is covered by this map for a new CPZ. A few weeks ago I asked Dulwich Community Council Chair and Rye Lane Ward councillors if they knew of any CPZ plans covering this part of the area and they said they did not. Please can you give details of where the info is about this so I can get it to show them.

jamesmcash Wrote:

>

> This issue demonstrates very clearly the negative

> effects of privatisation. Royal Mail has decided

> that having a sorting office in East Dulwich is

> not profitable. They may well be correct in their

> assessment! But in my view the question is rather:

> is there a justifiable community benefit for

> having one? And the answer to that is demonstrably

> 'yes'.

>

I am not sure that is entirely correct as the building was deemed unsuitable and from reading the other thread regarding the closure the postal workers were mostly in agreement with that assessment. So the private / public status doesn't really affect the suitability of the building.

James - interesting post copied below from original thread

"Re: dangerous structure on crystal palace road new

Posted by Hawley Today, 09:24AM

I had the misfortune of dealing with the owner of this property back in 2013. He lives in Stamford Hill and in my opinion is a highly unusual character.

As other posters have pointed out the house has been empty for at least six years, probably a lot longer. When I last ventured inside in 2014 the interior was caked in pigeon excrement. It was crusted all down the staircase and banister, like a sort of bird-poo stalactite. The smell was indescribable.

After months of trying to get the owner to sort out his chamber of horrors, I contacted James Barber and Tessa Jowell, both of whom were extremely helpful. I was put in touch with Michelle Williams at Southwark Council who was... well, less helpful.

The upshot of all this was that the council assured me that they would enforce a compulsory purchase order on the property. This was in 2014.

Clearly little has been done since. No surprise there."

Dear all

UVArchitects - I have put in an enquiry about it and will let you know the outcome as soon as I have it.

Eileen - I am afraid that there is no information online at the moment as the consultation has not yet launched. It may be that you spoke to your councillors before these plans were put in motion.

Rjsmall - There will always be local factors like this which will affect the running of a service - you are absolutely right. But its political economy will shape the response of how these problems are resolved. A postal service run for the benefit of the community is more likely to prioritise finding a solution that works for local residents, whereas one run for profit is going to have to prioritise ?efficiencies?. There was an article in the Guardian earlier this week explaining the general context of the Royal Mail?s business model: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/oct/01/royal-mail-shares-plunge-after-profit-warning. As you can see, it is not just factors local to East Dulwich that are contributing to a deterioration of service quality.

Best wishes

James

• 2 weeks later...

Hi UVArchitects

The Council has been in contact the management company and the issue should be rectified shortly. I have not been to the site so it may have been dealt with over the weekend but if not then a contractor should be there by the end of the week.

Best wishes

James

Hi all

intexasatthe moment - All I have been told is that it will begin in 'late Autumn'. That said, some residents have suggested that the consultation should not begin until the Dog Kennel Hill CPZ is fully operational, and the Charter School has opened as this will have an impact on traffic and parking which residents may want to be aware of before deciding how to respond. I'm sympathetic to this view.

bels123 - Let me look into this and get back to you.

Best wishes

James

UVArchitects Wrote:

> Maybe quite a few people in a number of

> departments in the borough need a kick up the

> arse. The barriers that have been put up are

> inadequate as it is likely to fall into the road.

> It should be scaffolded immediately or half of the

> road closed off.

I went past it earlier in the week and it looks like it could collapse at any moment. The way it's leaning makes it look like a significant amount of debris would fall forward into the street. A few plastic barriers and a notice on the window are not going to prevent serious tops parts of the upper windows come down.

I agree it needs scaffolding and proper (wooden) hoardings erected. In the meantime they should at least suspend the parking directly outside the property.

I passed by it yesterday and what I think were attempts to divert pedestrians away from the building are now ineffectual as the barriers have been moved. It looks horrendous, the photos posted on the other thread don?t show how dangerous it is.

Hi all

Thanks for the further information about the building on Crystal Palace Road. The building management company have been told to rectify the situation, and they did begin this week, but it appears to be taking longer than I would have expected. I take on board the suggestions regarding barriers /scaffolding and parking and will pass those on.

Regarding the controlled parking zone, as I said above some residents have suggested that the consultation should not open until after the Dog Kennel Hill CPZ goes live in December, and after the new school opens in January. I have supported this suggestion and it has now been agreed. This pushes the consultation back to open in mid January.

Best wishes

James

On Crystal Palace Road, when driving from East Dulwich Road, very near the junction of Northcross Road, there is a large wide skip without any lights on it. It's an accident waiting to happen. I have had several near misses with this. I believe it should have lights on it. It literally looms up as you are approaching.

Hi all

Abe_froeman - re the building on CPR, I am fairly sure that this is private property and therefore the works will be privately funded.

re Dulwich Hamlet, the Council maintains its position that it will not facilitate a future scheme which does not meet planning policy. So no sweeteners!

Froglander - as Sally Eva says below I would recommend that you report this. You can do so by email or by phone: 0207 525 2000 or [email protected]. If you don't have any success then do let me know so I can chase it up. Feel free to cc me into your email: [email protected]

Also, I have started a separate thread for this, but just to repost here to everyone sees:

This Wednesday is Dulwich Community Council - a meeting organised by the Council to facilitate discussion of issues in the Dulwich area. This week's meeting will include an item on Royal Mail deliveries in Dulwich since the sorting office closure. We will hear from - and have an opportunity to question - representatives from Royal Mail.

Helen Hayes MP is also on the agenda.

The meeting takes place at 7pm on Wednesday 31st October at Christ Church, 263 Barry Road SE22 0JT

More information is available here: [moderngov.southwark.gov.uk]

Have a great Sunday!

Best wishes

James