Goose Green councillors - how can we help?

Jamesmcash wrote.

"The consultation will identify what appetite there is for controlled parking in different areas. The consultation area is quite big but the results will not be all-or-nothing. In other words, if controlled parking is popular in some areas but not in others then the former can have controlled parking and the latter not."

If you believe this you may be in for a surprise.

Look at the DKH CPZ some roads opted out but were told as the others are in the plan they had to be also.

It is what Southwark wants not you. So they had to be in also.

Dear all

Redjam - I have spoken to Helen Hayes and as I suspected this is an issue that she is already working. I have offered to help in any way I can but it makes sense for her to continue to lead on it at the moment. She is currently waiting to hear back from the Royal Mail and will let me know when she has more information, which I will duly pass on.

Siduhe - I have attached a map of the CPZ consultation areas, I hope it?s sufficiently comprehensible!

Best wishes

James

Is there anything that can be done to stop cars ?rat running? on the roads parallel to Lordship Lane? For example, could through roads be turn into no through roads?

Not only do people who live locally drive through these streets quite normally to get about, but the number of times Lordship Lane is (partially) blocked over a year, when alternative routing is absolutely necessary if we are not to be trapped in ED, makes this suggestion so nimby it disappears up its own fundament. I have seen no evidence of 'rat running' in local streets parallel to LL - although the Melbourne Grove route is a sat nav option. But I doubt if (most) people in Melbourne Grove want it to be a no through road. The road network around LL does allow some traffic sharing, certainly, but normally of local traffic - taking pressure of LL which is already over-used. The issues of rat running are most frequently ones of vehicles travelling too fast on local roads during rush hour, not an issue (Barry apart) around here as simply navigating the parked and unloading cars and vans can be a nightmare. Unless this is a call for roads just to be for my car only, in which case bring it on.

On the other hand, if the area is to be a Controlled Zone it will soon be dead commercially, so all it will be good for is through traffic trying to get to somewhere worth visiting.

colville09 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> James, can't open the link to the proposed area

> map. Could you add in another way that people to

> open it up, thanks.

I've reattached it in a different format (JPG) - does this work for you?

James - Perhaps Southwark council could address the traffic issues on Adys Road and surrounding streets that they've spent time and money surveying at least three times over the last few years rather than launch a consultation about parking which isn't a high priority for most residents.

The only reason there is parking pressure around here is because of the stupid double yellow lines that Southwark imposed on us without consultation and are proposing to make worse when they implement the quietway scheme. Speaking of which, shouldn't they finish that consultation and implement the residents' wishes there before starting on another overlapping consultation?

Not sure if a CPZ is the answer but daytime parking is getting more difficult. After double parking on Waghorn St to drop off mum & her shopping I attempt to park so that I can join her for a cup of coffee. No spaces on Waghorn, Howden, Maxted, Nutbrook, Amott, Fenwick, Gowlett, Keston. After several circuits found a space on Oglander. This happens every week.

jamesmcash Wrote:

> Dear all

>

> kiera - there is a consultation being launched

> soon on two potential controlled parking zones.

> One is in East Dulwich, and the other is 'Peckham

> West'. Every street in Goose Green falls into one

> or the other.

>

> The consultation will identify what appetite there

> is for controlled parking in different areas. The

> consultation area is quite big but the results

> will not be all-or-nothing. In other words, if

> controlled parking is popular in some areas but

> not in others then the former can have controlled

> parking and the latter not.

>

> For my part, I want to be guided by the outcome of

> this consultation. I have had this issue raised

> with me countless times and people have strong

> opinions on both sides.

>

> redjam - I agree that the closing of the sorting

> office is a disaster. The Royal Mail should never

> have been privatised.

>

> Helen Hayes MP has done a lot of work on this. I

> do not want to reinvent the wheel so I have

> contacted her to see if she has already

> investigated it. If I can add any weight to this

> then I will happily do so.

>

> Best wishes

> James

I'm sorry but I find this approach to CPZ so utterly disingenuous. S'wark Labour are forcing reduction of car ownership so why not just be upfront and say that the intention is to support CPZ on streets currently suffering from heavier traffic/reduced parking knowing this will displace the problem again and again until the whole of S'wark is CPZ. The fig leaf of democracy and a 'listening' council is simply not true in this instance- there is a long game around street by street CPZ consultation, hastened by unwarranted mass double lines everywhere.

Hi James

Alongside the moped mugging streak, there seems to be a recurrence of OFO bikes being used in our area for muggings.

Could you back up the 101 reports with a call for our local police ramp up the use of stop and search temporarily if they suspect these bikes have been vandalised and stolen? I wouldn't imagine there are too many of these bikes in ED being "hired" by young guys in black hoods!

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,1963059

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,1965478

Hi James

Alongside the moped mugging streak, there seems to be a recurrence of OFO bikes being used in our area for muggings.

Could you back up the 101 reports with a call for our local police ramp up the use of stop and search temporarily if they suspect these bikes have been vandalised and stolen? I wouldn't imagine there are too many of these bikes in ED being "hired" by young guys in black hoods!

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,1963059

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,1965478

jamesmcash Wrote:

> Dear all

>

> kiera - there is a consultation being launched soon on two potential controlled parking zones.

> One is in East Dulwich, and the other is 'Peckham West'.

James,

I cannot find this consultation on the Soutwark Council web site consultation hub. Is it open yet and, if not, when will it be?

Dear all

Jakido - I have to say I am inclined to agree with Penguin68, that turning these roads into no-through roads would create more problems that it would solve. However, if you have specific concerns about any of these roads (speeding etc) then do let me know and I can see what can be done to address this.

Colville09 - Apologies for the format - uploaded from my phone on my way to work so I didn?t have a lot of control over formatting. I hope that the version kindly uploaded by Siduhe works for you.

Spider69 - I am afraid that that?s the only map I have. My best advice would be to look at the image in conjunction with Google Maps.

Slarti B - the consultation won?t open until October or so, hence not being on the website. I just wanted to give everyone on here advance notice.

Bcam - I presume it was you who emailed about this as well. My colleagues and I are looking into the issue and I hope we can get back to you with more information when we have it.

Best wishes all, and have a great Sunday.

James

Hello all

Bcam - I have posted on the other thread as well, but just so we have a record here:

"Hi all

I am very sorry to hear about all of this. I have raised it with our local Goose Green Safer Neighbourhood team. I am told that in the past six months there have been three reports raised regarding crimes of this type: 2 attempted thefts and 1 theft. There have been three arrests.

I suspect that the number of reports means that some incidents have not been reported. If you do witness or experience a crime like this then please do report it.

I understand that the police will post further information on here in due course.

As noted above, cuts to the police from the Tory and Tory-LibDem governments has really affected police numbers in the area but we are lucky to have a very committed team working in Goose Green nonetheless.

Please don't hesitate to get in touch if there is anything I can do.

Best wishes

James"

Sue - Thank you very much, that's kind of you.

Best wishes

James

Dear malleymoo

I have some more information on the Peckham Rye / East Dulwich Road junction leak but I am afraid that it is not very good news. The council put up the barriers and reported the issue to Thames Water back on 7th August. They have sent over a job reference but no timeframes for completion. The council is chasing up Thames Water but sadly the issue is now in their hands.

I am sorry that I am not able to provide any more information.

Best wishes

James

Hi James

Whilst all the surrounding roads have been resurfaced (northcross, archdale, crawthrew, Lacon etc.) Nutfield has not. According to James Barber a few months ago, it was on the list to be done but no action so far. Could you check status of this please? The condition of the road is very poor and it seems odd to have left Nutfield having done the others.

Many thanks

Wooly

Thanks James - there are already local examples where it works well - for example, road closures that are put in place every Saturday for North Cross Road market. If you want cleaner air, children to ride to school etc you need to look at measures that make roads safer.

Dear all

Thanks, as always, for your comments on here.

Wooly - let me look into this and get back to you as soon as I can.

Sue - I was aware of this, and mentioned it in the thread above on September 2nd. There will be a full consultation on it launching soon. Clearly this will be an issue that divides people. During my election campaign, parking was one of the key issues to come up and I would say that views were fairly evenly divided between support and opposition to a CPZ. What both sides shared was their intensity of feeling! There are lots of different factors to consider in the issue.

Best wishes

James

James

You will be aware of the problems surrounding the closure of Sylvester Road sorting office and the consistent failure of Royal Mail to deliver (in more ways than 95) to its service commitments. http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,1804279,page=8. I believe that the failure is sufficiently widespread that a community response to Ofcom is justified, and believe that this might best be addressed through an approach from local councillors (in yours and Dulwich Hill ward) acting for the community, as it the whole community and not just individual customers who are being let down. I have linked to the most active thread discussing this on the forum. Our local MP, who has been sympathetic towards the problem, might also wish to join in such a community response, and her name and position would carry weight.